Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011

mathewsaunders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
IMO sailing is probably one of the least minimalist lifestyles. But possibly one of the most rewarding. It's a great lifestyle but complex.
You must have misunderstood when I said minimalist. I'm speaking in terms of possession of material objects. As in, we do not need a HUGE boat, we do not need anything more than what we require to live on, ie. big tvs, big fridge, big bed, ample living space, and such. I am fully aware of the responsibilities and requirements of being a boat owner, and in no way regard such an ownership as being minimalist.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011

I've learned a lot so far!
Old 11-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cktalons View Post

When you find a boat you fall in love with, take her out for a sea trial and a survey! A surveyor can save you lots of money, so you don't buy a money pit.

GOOD LUCK!
I'm trying to post more so I can send you a message, so I'm replying to this.
Old 11-16-2011

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
First of all, let me say I love threads like this! I have great admiration and a tinge of envy for the adventure that you are about to embark upon. Unfortunately there are too many of these threads that just end with no closure. Do us all a favor, please, and keep the group posted on your decisions along the way, whether you follow through or not.

Maybe you aren't so crazy. Well, at least you aren't alone. My wife and I are also looking for a first sailboat, and we too have never sailed. However, we don't want to live aboard (I am much too attached to my big TV and big bed); we just want to mess about on the water (i.e., cruise and learn to sail). There might be some overnights on our local lake, but as landlocked as we are, the adventure aspect is somewhat limited.

What size boat are you looking for? After sifting through the limited number of boats available in our locale we have narrowed it down a bit to a 25' to 28' size category of cruiser/racer. We felt this was a good size range that would be easily handled by a crew of two, but accommodate some friends in the cockpit and/or cabin for a while. One of your original posts said that you were trying to sort through the categories (probably on Yachtworld from what I guess). As far as I can tell, these categories are input by the sellers/brokers and have little to do with anything. My newbie advice would be to listen to the advice of DRFerron and the other awesome people on here that you pay attention to what characteristics of a boat you want, then go climb aboard a bunch of them.

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
My newbie advice would be to listen to the advice of DRFerron and the other awesome people on here that you pay attention to what characteristics of a boat you want, then go climb aboard a bunch of them.

Good luck!
Definitely noted! I can't believe all that I'm learning in such a short time, and everyone response super quick. In terms of size of a boat, that is one question I really wanted answered. Like I said, we do not need a whole lot of space, so I'm wondering if 26' would be good enough? I know the majority of that decision will come with trying boats out and such, but I cannot do that now as I live up north in Alberta. So this is all I have, I need to opinions of some of the people on here that maybe have the same outlook on how I would like to live on the boat (very minimalist).
Old 11-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboat View Post
Do us all a favor, please, and keep the group posted on your decisions along the way, whether you follow through or not.
P.S.
I absolutely intend on keeping the kind people on here updated!
Old 11-16-2011

cktalons is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsaunders View Post
Like I said, we do not need a whole lot of space, so I'm wondering if 26' would be good enough? I know the majority of that decision will come with trying boats out and such, but I cannot do that now as I live up north in Alberta. So this is all I have, I need to opinions of some of the people on here that maybe have the same outlook on how I would like to live on the boat (very minimalist).
A 26 footer is tiny, especially for two people. And trust me, you have a lot more possessions than you think. You'll need cooking supplies, food, dishes, blankets, pillows, and you're not even dressed yet, nor have you brought aboard any electronics, bathroom supplies, your dog and all of his/her stuff, nor any tools and spare parts for your boat (which is a MUST). A boat fills up fast. To make a boat seem bigger than it is (you'll want that), it's important to have some empty space on your surfaces, to give the impression that you have more than enough room. And if you like to read and don't have an e-reader yet, go get one, because nothing takes up space and weighs you down like a bunch of books.

Sailboats are everywhere, so you should take a day and go to some docks to have a look at some boats. Sailors, especially liveaboards, love to show off their babies, so you may find some people willing to let you see inside their boats, which will give you an idea of space and livability.
Old 11-16-2011

dolphin is on a distinguished road
Sailing around the World was in there as I recall and that is a proposition that will entail some serious experience. The marinas are full of stories and boats of wanna be sailors wether it be day trippers, weekenders or world circumnavigators. Just do a lot of tripping on here and on the many sites of sailing that are on the net. You could get a 22 footer to trailer and run all over your neck of the woods. Will give you the basic dynamics you will need and you can ease into it. You can live aboard her for weekends and even summer in her to get the feel of how much space you will really need and require. Then move on up as you feel comfortable. Putting a pair of rookies in a forty footer that is blue water ready is like giving the car keys to a 5 yearold on the Interstate and telling he/she good luck. Should you decide to skip the the training wheels and get a Ferrari stay within site of shore for at least til the dog feels safe.
mathewsaunders likes this.
Old 11-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
Sailing around the World was in there as I recall and that is a proposition that will entail some serious experience. The marinas are full of stories and boats of wanna be sailors wether it be day trippers, weekenders or world circumnavigators. Just do a lot of tripping on here and on the many sites of sailing that are on the net. You could get a 22 footer to trailer and run all over your neck of the woods. Will give you the basic dynamics you will need and you can ease into it. You can live aboard her for weekends and even summer in her to get the feel of how much space you will really need and require. Then move on up as you feel comfortable. Putting a pair of rookies in a forty footer that is blue water ready is like giving the car keys to a 5 yearold on the Interstate and telling he/she good luck. Should you decide to skip the the training wheels and get a Ferrari stay within site of shore for at least til the dog feels safe.
Yes, the around the world cruise is definitely set for the future. We plan on living on the boat, docked in the Okanagan for the summer, then head somewhere warm for the winter. We will only set sail if we feel we're ready for it. In no way do I want to rush such an adventure. That is the ultimate goal, but yes it will for sure be later on. I just found a nice 22' online in Victoria for 2500 so I'm think I might just buy that right away just to have for when I go back and test it out, stay on it a couple days at a time and see how that goes. Thanks
Old 11-16-2011

Sashersminis is on a distinguished road
small yard!

Sailing is a wonderful activity and being on the water is absolutely the best. Being confined to a small boat for days, weeks at a time is something else. If you are a restless, active person, (or your girlfriend/spouse is) being stuck in a confined space can drive you mad! I have never "cruised" because the sailing I have done is all inland but even after a few hours of just watching the trees go by I get the urge to get up and do something. I wouldn't be cut out for long cruises but I understand the appeal. If I were you I would try staying a week on the boat before you depart for unknown lengths of time. Don't cheat and get off to walk, to talk to someone else, to get a hotdog, etc; Stay put and see how you do. That should tell you something about long cruises.
good luck!