Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011

Rickem is on a distinguished road
Canadian Buying, Reg, in U.S.

I'm buying a boat as a liveaboard and found a few options in the southern states. My plan is to travel down and inspect the boats and hopefully purchase. I have many offers for a residence so an address wouldn't be a problem. What other steps would be involved as I'm still a Canadian citizen.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
Each state will vary a little, of course. I don't think it matters, as it pertains to being Canadian. Check with the local DMV (Dept. Motor Vehicles) office wherever you purchase said boat and they'll get you through it. In Florida, a DL isn't even required to own a vehicle. Odds are, whoever you purchase the boat from will be in the know as it pertains to their state's regs.
Old 11-16-2011

What are the laws down there for boating license, required insurance...etc.
Old 11-16-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Rick, you'll have to get a state licence if you plan to register the boat in the US. You cannot get Coast Guard Documented which is only available to US citizens. You can get the boat registered in Canada through the Ministry of Transport but you may have to pay PST and GST or HST depending on where you live. If you plan to use the boat mainly in the US, licence it there as it will save a lot of hassles because you will not need a cruising permit and having to phone and report your movements. I don't know how much you plan to spend but you can get a boat broker to assist you with the purchase. The broker gets paid by the seller and in Florida seller/buyer brokers split the fee 50/50. Your broker will help you with the registration and other details like surveys.
You can get insurance no matter where it's registered or licenced. I have mine through BoatUS. You just need a US address. There are Canadian companies who will insure you. One I know of is Bayside Insurance in Ajax, On.
Old 11-16-2011

rugosa is on a distinguished road
You should contact US Immigration, or at least view their website, regarding the rules applying to entering US. My understanding is if you plan to 'residence' there you will need to comply with the rules. On the other hand, if you are merely a tourist, it is different, but you will need to declare when you intend to return (return air ticket typically). The days of slipping over the border to stay there are long gone . . . do your homework in depth first, rather than risk being deported and banned from future entry. Not intended to be alarming, but get it right so your dreams aren't shattered.
Old 11-16-2011

Getting across the border has never been an issue, went to Cleveland last year with no ID, no problems at the border, just a few questions. I'm waiting on my passport cause that's all I'll need to obtain a license in the states. As for an address, have that, I think all I need to worry about is checking back into Canada every six months to still claim permanent residence/citizen here.
Old 11-17-2011

noreault is on a distinguished road
Definitely check immigration. I believe visitor visa, what you get on entry as Canadian, only allows six months out of 12.
Old 11-17-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
As far as "boating license" in Florida, the only requirement for Boater Safety applies to those born after Jan 1, 1988. For driver's license, you need your Canadian birth certificate and passport, plus proof of residency (two items I think) and your current Canadian DL, of course.
Old 11-17-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
You can buy the boat in the US and register it in Canada (federally) without having to pay Canadian taxes (HST or whatever it is where you live). The taxes are only payable when you physically import the vessel. The majority of Canadian long-distance cruisers have boats that have never been to Canada and likely never will. If you are Canadian registered you can only get a cruising permit for one year (unless you have a residency visa), then you have to take the boat out of the US for at least 15 days before you can get a new permit. Depending on where you are, this could be the Bahamas or Mexico for example.

In most US states you have to pay sales tax if you register within the state (RI is the obvious exception - it is sort of like the Liberia of US states; you don't have to live in the state to register there, just indicate where in the state you would use the boat (from time to time). It is my understanding that most states will still ding you for sales tax and possibly property tax if you are resident in the state for too long even if you are registered in a different state - don't think this would apply to foreign registry.

It is complicated.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 11-17-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Rick, you'll have to get a state licence"
ebs, that must be a slip of the tongue. Most states have no requirement for a boat "license", just boat registration. Some states require a boating education card or safety certification--but AFAIK those are still a small minority, and it is just a safety certification from a half-day or online course, about $50. Many also grandfather older boaters or exempt engineless boats.
Or has licensing become suddenly popular this year?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.