Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011

montenido is on a distinguished road
Hawaii as a Spring Board to South Pacific?

Hi all,

I have been dreaming of making the pacific puddle jump from Mexico to the Marquesas and beyond. However, I have a question about starting points. I have noticed that used boats are generally a fairly good deal in Hawaii, probably due to the limited pool of buyers.

How practical would it be to buy a boat there, prepare it and cast off for the South Pacific? It appears that there would be a lot of due South sailing. Has anybody done this? Another route would be SW to the Marshall Islands, then maybe further South to other locations.

Any input, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Cheers, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
We are in Hawaii now

I have lived in Hawaii for most of the last 35 years. We are back in Honolulu for the winter after cruising the Pacific Northwest and may take a side trip to the line islands before heading north to Alaska in May. We have been here in the islands now for five months watching cruisers come and go, to and from just about everywhere.

You are correct that Hawaii is a good place to find a boat but you should be prepared to absorb the expenses of getting here and living while you are shopping. You may get lucky early or it may take some months to find a decent boat at a good price. On that score I think you would be better served on the West Coast, particularly Washington.

As for Hawaii being a good jumping off point, it is as good as any; centrally located, available provisions and (limited) repair facilities. Weather patterns in recent years have been atypical but consult a pilot chart anyway for seasonal winds and currents. People depart from here in almost every direction at all times of the year. In just the past few days, one boat departed heading north. Another left for Panama.

I am not recommending it. Just saying that people do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-03-2011
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
No

No, it's a poor jumping off point for the South Pacific. The currents and winds all are going north from there.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 12-04-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'd have thought it was doable if you aimed for , say, Samoa, Fiji and the like. Further east would appear to asking for a slog.

Noonsite, btw suggests Kiribati would be OK.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.