Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011

Davebernard52 is on a distinguished road
This is my first day on Sailnet and I am pretty disappointed by what I have seen in this thread. I wonder if everyone who asks a question gets a good reeming from the "pro's".

Yes a few people answered his question with solid information and seemed happy to help out a fellow sailor. But a few of you used the opportunity to flex your ego and spray the site with testosterone.

I am not worried about your being PC or kind. "PC" has nothing to do with this and your diatribe about being PC is a silly distraction from the point. I think you were arrogant and not the least bit helpful. If you really wanted to be helpful, instead of sending me three paragraphs justifying yourself, why not be a positive factor and send him a three paragraph explanation of the Gulfstream and how to deal with it. Or are you so busy sailing that you haven't the time to donate?

I am quite sure he "made it" already. Wouldn't it have been nice if you had made it easier for him. Life may not be easy but I sure as hell would rather help out than smugly sit back and smirk at someone with less experience.

By the way, I've been sailing for 43 years and there is a lot i don't know and still have to learn. I have lots of questions and the further I travel from home the more questions I have. I have found that there are two types of "locals". By far the majority are eager to share their local knowledge, especially if they have traveled themselves. And then there is the second group, a small minority, who never go anywhere and make fun of the transient who needs help or info. Which group are you in?
svHornblower and stormrider27 like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2011

sailrmon is on a distinguished road
Personally i could not agree with DaveBernard52 more. while on our trip in 2008 i used this site along with several other sources, cruising guides and talking to the locals to make what i felt was an informed decission. who is to say this was the only source he used (doubt he will use it again) and by asking questions from people who have been out there i feel he is doing his research!

I have been a member since 2006 and i think this is my thirteenth post. easy to see why some members may have over a thousand. no real information, just a lot of bantoring.

S/V Wendy Michelle
Old 12-09-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebernard52 View Post
...I am not worried about your being PC or kind. "PC" has nothing to do with this and your diatribe about being PC is a silly distraction from the point. I think you were arrogant and not the least bit helpful. If you really wanted to be helpful, instead of sending me three paragraphs justifying yourself, why not be a positive factor and send him a three paragraph explanation of the Gulfstream and how to deal with it. ...
David,

Based upon the context of your comments, I assume you are responding to me. (When responding to someone on this forum and most, it is wise to use the "quote" function in the reply so that others know to whom one's response is directed.)

N'any case, FYI, if you will refer to Post #8 on the first page of this thread, you will see that I did in fact provide a reasonably valuable resource to the Original Poster (AKA "OP"). I do not disagree that providing someone with "Local Knowledge" is worthwhile, but when someone's inquiry reveals rather stunning naivety within the context of what they are proposing en gross, it may not be a disservice to mention that--not "kind" perhaps, but not a disservice. (Moreover, where the west wall of the Stream is located at any give time "ain't" local knowledge.)

I regret that you are disturbed by rank candor. Some folks tend to be less "diplomatic" than others, particularly on sailing forums. I don't always agree with the approach but, LION, it goes with the territory. If your sensibilities are offended, this may not be a good venue for you although, in general, there is very valuable knowledge to be gleaned by simply following a discussion if not participating.

Hopefully the OP has made/or is making his/her passage in safety if not comfort and all goes well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-09-2011

emoney is on a distinguished road
I'm slowly coming to the realization, that I too, can be too "short" in instances such as these.
So, I heretofore have decided to follow a new "track", if you will. I will only respond with
the exact same feeling/meaning/intent, as I would if I was face-to-face with person presenting
the question/etc. And, I'm going to assume he's quite a bit larger than me and heavily
armed. That should serve as a reminder to choose words wisely.
Old 12-09-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Dave,

The first thing that caught my attention about the OP was that he/she was making a major move the next day without knowing the basics of where to even locate the information.

Knowing the weather along the coast, as I'm sure you'll agree with your experience, is important. For those with experience, that resource would have been in their arsenal long before then and they would know to start monitoring forecasts and keeping an eye on the stream more than a day before departure.

I'm sorry that your first experience with this forum was negative. Sometimes the delivery is harsher than it needs to be so in that respect, you are right. There are different personalities in this forum just as you'll find different personalities sitting around the local sailor's bar. Not all of them are polished in their delivery and more than a few of us may let our frustration with the nutty and potentially unsafe things we see on the water seep through. I'm not part of the typical sailing demographic so I'm used to responses that range from amusement to snide to simply being ignored. I cull the information I need and move on. For that reason I should know better and try harder to have more patience.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here trying to make it a little safer for those with less experience who think they cannot be harmed or cannot harm others in their sailboat.
jameswilson29 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 12-09-2011

Hi,
I am pleased to see that most people agree that questions can be answered without sarcasm and an attitude. Nobody knows everything and usually those with the most experience realize just how little they actually do know.

With that said I have a question. I will be leaving Charleston in the next few days. Being singlehanded I am conservative about jumping out of the ICW. If I remain 3-4 miles offshore, respecting the shoals that exist further out in places, will I be far enough from the Gulfstream to ignore it? Having read about this and studied the data from NOAA I would assume so. BUT, I would like to hear from folks with experience in this area.
Thank you.
Dave
Old 12-09-2011

By the way, the Passage weather.com site is new to me and it is great. The graphics are clear and easy to understand.. One glance and I have answered my own question. But the new site was worth the trouble.
Thank you
Old 12-10-2011

Bamazeb is on a distinguished road
Dave...Well Put !!
Old 12-10-2011

bjkrad is on a distinguished road
"By the way, the Passage weather.com site is new to me and it is great. The graphics are clear and easy to understand.. One glance and I have answered my own question. But the new site was worth the trouble."

Have to agree. I have 5 or 6 free gulf stream websites bookmarked, but this is a nice reference I didn't have. Thanks!
Old 12-10-2011

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
dave this is the internet,sometimes i think some sailors on here oh never mind i am n charleston rite,now and plan to jump to datona monday and tues on the outside. i left beaufort thursday and rounded cape fear on a stiff nor easterly,wind pushing 15-25 i took a wide birth around frying pan shoals and ran into the gulf stream head on.with just a tripple reefed main saw speeds steady at 8.5, my gps saw 10.5 dont worry about a little.67 knot current grab this wind and hook a ride! a dirty boat bottom will cost you more in speed! just got up the river 11am this am, i got a sleep[ i was becalmed friday pm for 5 hours thats why you can never plan so just be prepaird for mother nathure;ps the dolfins were thick out off the coast