SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Sailing from SC to Florida (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/81224-sailing-sc-florida.html)

slaneynirit@yahoo.com 11-28-2011 03:00 PM

Sailing from SC to Florida

We plan to leave Chrlestone towards Florida tomorrow. How Close to shore should we go in order to avoid the Gulf Stream? Wr heard there a current than can push us down. Any idea how far off shore we can meet it?

MarioG 11-28-2011 03:24 PM

We sail abou 3 miles off shore so the 1st mate can see land, makes her feel safe. just watch your charts and watch for any shoaling. There are alot of inlets on the way down you can duck into and drop anchor but we also droped anchor off shore when we were in less then 30' of water. Good luck and watch the weather

night0wl 11-28-2011 04:22 PM

NOAA weather radio reports the approximate position of the Gulfstream in my neck of the woods. Also, do you have a depth transducer with a temperature setting? My Raymarine ST60 has this...and you can tell when you've entered the Gulfstream. The temp rises 2 degrees :D

(EDIT) I just realized that they only do this report till the waters south of St. Augustine.

night0wl 11-28-2011 04:23 PM

For example: National Weather Service Marine Forecast

THE APPROXIMATE LOCATION OF THE WEST WALL OF THE GULF STREAM AS OF
NOV 28, 2011 AT 1200 UTC...

7 NAUTICAL MILES EAST OF FOWEY ROCKS.
8 NAUTICAL MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF PORT EVERGLADES.
8 NAUTICAL MILES NORTHEAST OF LAKE WORTH.
5 NAUTICAL MILES EAST NORTHEAST OF JUPITER INLET.

THIS DATA COURTESY OF THE NAVAL OCEANOGRAPHIC OFFICE.

sailrmon 11-29-2011 08:56 AM

What is your destination in Florida? while on our 1 year sabatical out of the Great Lakes in 2008 my wife and i chose to take the outside route from Charleston to Fernandina Beach, Fla. avoiding a lot of East West motoring, shallow water and 9 foot tides in Georgia. i just laid out a rumbline from the outer breakwater of Charleston Harbor to St. Mary's inlet but because a front was approaching opted to go in at St. Simons and got a slip at New Brunswick Marina. this track was about 120nm and took us about 20nm offshore but much less to worry about than being just 3 miles offshore and the stars were incredible. we left Charleston city marina Dec. 7th at 12pm and arrived at the dock in New Brunswick Dec. 8th at 2pm. sailed all but 3 hours of the trip and Dolphins every where.

The inner limit of the gulf stream in this section of the coast runs about 50nm offshore and if you look at the Pilot charts it creates a sort of eddy in the coast line with about a 1/2kt current flowing south.

Whatever way you chose enjoy your trip, it will go fast.

S/V Wendy Michelle

On the hard in Sandusky,Ohio

TropicCat 11-30-2011 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaneynirit@yahoo.com (Post 801268)
We plan to leave Chrlestone towards Florida tomorrow. How Close to shore should we go in order to avoid the Gulf Stream? Wr heard there a current than can push us down. Any idea how far off shore we can meet it?

Ummm, excuse me...but.. You're planning a major passage along the east coast and haven't researched where the west wall of the Gulf Stream is? Or where counter currents can be found?? :confused:

gershel 12-08-2011 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TropicCat (Post 801875)
Ummm, excuse me...but.. You're planning a major passage along the east coast and haven't researched where the west wall of the Gulf Stream is? Or where counter currents can be found?? :confused:

That irkes me also. Why would you rely on opinions and hearsay from people on the internet? You have to be self-sufficient, man.
Marc

svHyLyte 12-08-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaneynirit@yahoo.com (Post 801268)

You might want to look at PassageWeather.com--Gulf Stream:

http://www.passageweather.com/maps/h...s/ncom/012.png

Davebernard52 12-08-2011 12:42 PM

How about a little humility? Give the guy credit for actually going somewhere. Most boats just sit in their slips all year long. Besides, the stream is not a factor to sailors from other locations.
I am reminded of an old saying, "no stupid questions, just stupid answers".
He asked a legitimate question.

svHyLyte 12-08-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davebernard52 (Post 804442)
How about a little humility? Give the guy credit for actually going somewhere. Most boats just sit in their slips all year long. Besides, the stream is not a factor to sailors from other locations.
I am reminded of an old saying, "no stupid questions, just stupid answers".
He asked a legitimate question.

David--

The OP asked a legitimate question and several of us gave non-judgemental answers. Unfortunately, like it or not, the question reveals quite a lack of knowledge/understanding/experience that makes it questionable whether the OP is reasonably capable of making such a voyage in safety. While questioning that might not be "nice", or particularly "PC", sometimes harsh realities do bite us in the "Ass..ume".

Unfortunately, we--society in general--have arrived at a point at which we are so concerned with being "kind" we fail to slap people in the face with the cold, hard, facts that may be necessary to snap them back to realistic assessments of their own circumstances and let them know what they don't know they don't know (their "unknown unknowns" to coin a phrase).

Not too many years ago a study was published on "ridicule" and children. One material finding was that in the 1940's, 50's and 60's it was the ridicule of childrens' peers that led the vast majority of substantially over-weight children to loose weight (to their own benefit). Since the 60's, however, the "need" of "being nice" (i.e. kind) has contributed to an explosion of adolescent obesity as there is no/little stigma with being morbidly over-weight. Similarly the practice of making "everyone a winner". Everyone's not a winner. Everyone's average or, in fact, less so as the real "winner's pull up the overall average. If you want a winner you have to make him or her work hard and take their knocks and keep going anyway.

The OP might make the trip he/she proposes safely, or might not. The effort will certainly be a learning experience, particularly if the winds shift to north-easterlies and drive the Stream closer to shore. In any case, in all likelihood he/she will survive quite nicely and end up more knowledgeable for the experience, but there is nothing wrong with calling it like one sees it. Perhaps "not Nice" but, frankly, Life "ain't" always nice, is it?

FWIW...