Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Fruits and Vegetables

I noticed while looking through the profiles of various countries on Noonsite that many do not allow you to bring fruits and vegetables into the country. Does this include normal stores of produce that are for consumption by crew or is there a certain allowance in the quantity of fruits/veggies you can have onboard? I'm sure that each country has differing rules so I'm looking to get a general idea of the restrictions.

There would be no use in loading up on peaches here in the U.S. for, say, a trip to Bermuda then on to Europe if I would have to ditch what I couldn't eat before I got to Bermuda. I would then be peachless for the remainder of the trip!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
It really does vary. The only place that confiscated stuff from us (eastern Caribean and through South Pacific) was Oz. On arrival they took a bit of meat, cheese, fruits, vegetables, nuts, and our garbage and only charged us $330 for the process. We knew this would happen in Oz so made a point of not having much left for them to take. The quarantine guy said they had cleared a large powerboat that morning and taken something like $1000 in meat. I suspect that NZ might be similarly strict but do not know the details.

In a couple of places (Vanuatu for one) we were told that we should use a particular garbage can for our waste and it was common for us to be told that we could not remove any foods from our boat to shore but consumption onboard was not a problem.

As I said it really depends on where you are. I don't think you would have any problems at all in Bermuda - they have not agricultural industry to protect.

Last edited by killarney_sailor; 12-05-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Killarney .... The Kiwis are as neurotic about imported foodstuffs as we are. It may seem unreasonable and in some cases I'm sure it is but NZ and OZ are possibly the last remaining land masses that are free from foot and mouth disease plus a variety of other fruit and vegetable infesting pests.

Dean ... For mine it beggars belief why anyone would want to set off on a trip around the globe with a hold full of peaches. Last time I checked even such farflung outposts of the civilised world such as Australia and New Zealand seemed capable of growing the odd stone fruit and let me tell you until you have tasted melons from Spain and wild strawberries from France your taste buds ain't lived. One of the greatest joys of travel is experiencing and in many instances learning to love what the locals eat.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-05-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I wouid agree about the need to protect the country's biosecurity (I think that is the classy name for it) - not so sure why they feel it worth $330 of your dollars to pay for a brief visit to the boat - and don't get me started about the $210 in visas for the admiral and myself. No visas for Aussies coming to Canada (Commonwealth and all that).
Old 12-05-2011
Life is a wild ride!

@ Killarney - I did notice the wide variance in the regulations as I was browsing through Noonsite. That's a great site for destination information by the way and any suggestions for other online resources of that caliber would be appreciated. But back to the subject at hand. Do you think it's just the nature of bureaucracies to want to charge for everything? Thanks for the info though. I kinda thought personal use might be ok but one never knows until one asks.

@ Tdw - Since NZ and OZ are free of foot and mouth disease, will they make me promise to wear shoes during my visit and not kiss anybody? As for the peaches... Maybe I REALLY like peaches and want to set a record for being the first person to circumnavigate with a boat load of them!

I was just using peaches, and even Bermuda as an example and trying to be funny at the same time. Although I do like a good peach, I don't want to carry that many of them. Hee Hee! I do enjoy trying foods from differing areas and cultures. I think that will be part of the charm and adventure when I finally cut the lines.

Thank you both for the replies.
Old 12-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I wouid agree about the need to protect the country's biosecurity (I think that is the classy name for it) - not so sure why they feel it worth $330 of your dollars to pay for a brief visit to the boat - and don't get me started about the $210 in visas for the admiral and myself. No visas for Aussies coming to Canada (Commonwealth and all that).

Mate I wouldn't want to get me started on the Australian Customs Department. I reckon that when they were youngsters they aspired to be carbunkles on the backside of humanity and looky looky the mongrels succeeded.

As for the Visas I simply do not understand why Canadians should be required to have them. It astounds me but then white Australians have always been obsessed by the notion that everyone wants to steal our land. Maybe cos we the stole the damn thing in the first place.

Whoa, better be careful all we'll all end up back in the sewer.

Dean ... I was thinking maybe you were from Georgia ... Mind you they'd be a bit soggy if you tried keeping them for a Pacific crossing.

Hey. does anyone know where the expression "Eat a Peach" comes from ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-05-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
According to Wikipedia, Duane Allman (Allman Bros Band) is quoted as saying "Every time I'm in Georga, I eat a peach for peace."

I've also heard that "Georga Peach" is a slang term for a young southern woman. Can't document that one though.
Old 12-06-2011

RedtheBear is on a distinguished road
The Bear's two cents worth,
"Georgia Peach" is a slang term for a young southern woman from Georgia.
That is the expression for an attractive young "southern" woman, however the determining factors of what is attractive is very debatable. However, it means that she is sweet and soft in disposision and speech. She is also delicate and tender in her natural state as is the fruit for which she is named, but as the fruit, buried inside her is a rock hard stone whcih you don't want to bite into.

may you have soft breezes and smooth waters,
Red the Bear
Tempest and Silvio like this.
Old 12-08-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Never mind foreign countries

When you arrive in Hawaii from anywhere, even the US mainland, you will have to surrender any remaining fresh produce and surrender your pet for quarantine for 120 days in Honolulu. No, you cannot just keep the pet on your boat. There are exceptions for the pet (See PDF) that allow for a 5 day quarantine but qualifying for that exception is difficult.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-08-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
When you arrive in Hawaii from anywhere, even the US mainland, you will have to surrender any remaining fresh produce and surrender your pet for quarantine for 120 days in Honolulu. No, you cannot just keep the pet on your boat. There are exceptions for the pet (See PDF) that allow for a 5 day quarantine but qualifying for that exception is difficult.
Since Hawaii is part of the United States I'm not surprised. I expect the bureaucrats in the U.S. to be a little anal retentive! I was hoping that most other places understand the idea that people want a little variety in their diet and won't go ballistic because I may have a peach on board that I was saving as an after dinner snack.

Thanks for the information though because I didn't know I may be subject to that sort of thing. I guess if I decide to visit Hawaii I'll wait till I've run out of stores. Hee hee!