Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Is this for cruising inside/outside US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I worry about making the monthly health insurance premiums.
I have found extended cruising to be a very healthy lifestyle. We have paid any healthcare costs (outside US) out-of-pocket and have spent less than $200 in two years and that was all for one problem - a staph, skin infection that took months to go away. Typical was in Fiji - the private hospital (the fancy one) charged $12 per visit. The prescriptions - two courses of Keflex antibiotic was also $12. Even in Tahiti which is very expensive overall a visit to the emergency room at the hospital (a gorgeous new one) was about $60 and this included a procedure to clean out an infected area as well as the diagnosis and considerable personal attention. The prescription here, along with about eight other items from the drug store (special soaps, disinfectants, etc) was about $120.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-10-2011

Agri is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post

The internet is a terrific way to set up income streams that yield what my friend and "e-mentor" calls "Golden Crumbs"; A cafe press store that yields $50 a month, Google adsense account that produces another $100 or $200 per month,(Have you noticed that our videos now have adverts?) it all ads up.
I like the idea of Golden Crumbs. I was looking at your videos, the view count isn't that high, but I am assuming that its enough views to make the $100-$200 you mentioned? I always thought you need views in the tens of thousands to make any kind of money from Youtube and Google.

One idea that I keep meaning to check out for supporting myself while wandering around is medical and legal transcription. I know various people that do quite well with this line of work supporting themselves living in far off countries and such while making better $/hour then many do back home.

The only requirement is the need for a reliable internet connection when you need to download the next set of audio or upload your finished work. Oh yeah you also need to be able to sit at your computer for a few hours with your headphones trying to decipher some of the unintelligible conversation you might hear.

I agree the no debt thing is huge. The necessity of having to make X amount of dollars each month is like having the shackle welded shut on your mooring line.
Old 12-10-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agri View Post
I like the idea of Golden Crumbs. I was looking at your videos, the view count isn't that high, but I am assuming that its enough views to make the $100-$200 you mentioned? I always thought you need views in the tens of thousands to make any kind of money from Youtube and Google.
We are getting close to a thousand views a day on our YouTube Channel. A couple of our videos are approaching twenty thousand views and we should hit three hundred thousand total views later today. The more videos we add, the more views we get across the board. We have two web sites that total about 1500 hits a day. Not huge numbers but there is a reason for that.

We started doing it just for fun. I built one web site for the American Vega Association that gets pretty low traffic and basically just supports itself, and one web site for our family and friends to let them know where we are and what we are up to that has turned out to be surprisingly popular. I put adsense on both just to see what would happen. It took three years to earn the first hundred bucks.

The YouTube channel started out as just a way to share our home movies. After we were allowed to monetize the YouTube channel, we paid more attention to copyrights (The first sixty or so videos cannot be monetized because of the music). Once we cleaned up the copyright issue on YouTube, it took three months to earn the second C note. Learning as we go, a few tweaks here and there to build traffic and the income is slowly building.

Fact is, we could actually earn a respectable living this way by developing a couple more websites and YouTube Channels. BUT - It requires just as much commitment as a real job to make serious money. By that I mean forty or fifty hours a week. Taking months off at a time is counter productive, at least in terms of income. Fresh content is the life blood of these things so posting something fresh every day is a key factor. Since our priority is voyaging, not working, we are happy with the golden crumbs. As we build up and improve the content the crumbs may turn into nuggets.

The problem with earning serious money legally is that it takes a lot of work

Even running for congress would be too time consuming

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vega1860; 12-10-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.