SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

30y/o Southern Boy lookin' to sail and learnin' how to sail the ocean.

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  milemarkerzero 
#1 ·
The name is RD and I was born/raised in Johnson City, TN. I've currently been living the last few years in Metro-Detroit, which I have to admit, the city and I don't get along to well, on a couple of different levels. The mountain's may be in my heart but I think I've got saltwater in my veins. I'm 30 years old, a self employed writer who enjoys reading, movies, hiking, camping, fishing, etc. I'll try anything once pretty much. But I am here in hopes of finding friends or like minded people who can help me learn how to sail or maybe pick me up as a crew mate or passenger. I work hard and Im a fast learner. I'm a people person and I love to laugh and cut up. I can be serious when needed tho.

Well I hope to hear from y'all soon.

RD

#2 ·
welcome to sailnet rd,i'm also from e-tenn.and also spent many miserable yrs in detroit,i finally managed to escape when i was just about your age,sailing is about 90% common sense the rest you can learn,if you can spend some time with an experienced sailor you might avoid some painful lesons,i'm sure there are sailors in the detrot area or where ever you relocate to

#6 ·
Welcome to Sailnet!

Have you found Findacrew.net yet? I was signed up on it for about six months a couple of years ago. It's free. I had a position lined up to sail with a nice middle-aged couple on thier pretty darn nice 48'er out of Florida and through the Carribean. Family troubles kept me ashore though, and a girlfriend that I ended up passing up anyways....

I would suggest that. But you can keep your eye open on the forums, there are people looking for crew ofte.

Another thought, although I haven't tried it, is Craigslist. Go to allofcraigs.com and do a search for "crew needed sailboat" and simular keywords and see what you find.

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.