SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Cruising with a dog to other countries? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/81788-cruising-dog-other-countries.html)

Inspirare 12-15-2011 02:12 PM

Cruising with a dog to other countries?

Hi SailNetters!
This is my first post here, but not my first cruising.

We are considering sailing down the west coast of US (from Seattle), and continue down through Panama to the Caribbean.

Our family of 3 consists of me, my husband and our dog, a Great Dane.
I'm researching rules and regulations on bring the dog to different countries right now, and would love the hear first hand experiences on cruising with a dog.

Have you found any specific countries in central america and the caribbean to be particularly dog friendly? (Or particularly non-dog-friendly?)

Regards,
Annika

killarney_sailor 12-15-2011 03:08 PM

We have friends who cruised in the Eastern Caribbean with a wonderful standard poodle and they found it to be very difficult and very costly. I don't remember the details but there were some countries that did not allow dog's to enter without extended isolation in kennels. In other country's a vet had to come to the boat to see the dock at a cost of $100 to $200. For one winter's cruising they had spent something like $2000 on fees related to the dog.

Good luck, don't know if Noonsite has dog info? Have you checked there?

hellosailor 12-15-2011 03:56 PM

You can find the rules for each country at noonsite.com

Dogs are frequently not welcome in the Carib unless they are independently wealthy.

LandLocked66c 12-15-2011 04:00 PM

Oh boy! That's alot of DOG. Everything i've heard is it's a big PITA... But at least you'd have something to ride around on when on land! :D

JedNeck 12-15-2011 04:09 PM

Maybe Land is on to something. Tell them that your pup is actually a horse.

TQA 12-15-2011 08:05 PM

This was discussed at length recently

do a search on dog and you should find it.

Inspirare 12-17-2011 09:43 PM

Thanks for your replies!
I'll check out noonsite!

Interestingly, search on the forum produces no results if the string is 3 or less characters, so "dog", "pet" or "cat" got no results :)
"dogs" did...

bjslife 12-20-2011 09:50 PM

Please let me know what you find out. I am in Oregon on the coast and have 2 small mini dogs and plan to travel south this spring. thanks

ottos 12-23-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 807144)
This was discussed at length recently

do a search on dog and you should find it.

I did that but all I found were posts about/from an irascible, knowledgable trimaran sailor. :laugher

Controlled Jibe 01-05-2012 09:06 PM

We're also planning on bringing a dog aboard to mexico, specifically the baja peninsula and the islands in the Sea of Cortez. Does anyone have experience cruising with dogs in this area? Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks