Which is more practical to know about: refrigeration, sailmaking or diesel repair? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
People with refrigeration skills are harder to find than any other categories and there is hardly a sailor out there who has not, at some time, had refrigeration issues of some type.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2011

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road
Refrigeration

Getting certified is easy, its simply another piece of paper saying you passed the test that burned into your brain one thing. You can no longer release refrigerant. Certified does not mean qualified. Never teaches even how to hook up gauges, let alone what they mean.That being said I learned refrigeration with a backround in explosives. Knowing how to read a ladder diagram and a meter go a long way. Also took a couple basic refrig/heating theory classes. Then lots of OJT. Really though, a meter, a 10in1, and your gauges diagnose most ref/ac problems.
Old 12-19-2011

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road
Also know people that have been doing this for 20 years and still have no clue and are simply part changers. Well, its gotta be this...or this...Lmao
Old 12-19-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Let's assume you are talking about being somewhat remote. Even a 4 or 5 hr sail to the nearest marina with repair services can be a significant distraction. As for certified? I would love to know how many real service providers in the islands are actually certified.

1. Sail repair.... Not verynhard to hand stitch a patch to get you by for a bit. Many even have a spare sail, so this isn't likely the biggest demand.

2. Diesel repair.... You still have the sails to power the boat. No iron genny is a docking problem for most, but could be dealt with the next time your travels bring you close to services.

3. Refrigeration repair.... What? The ritas and beer are warm!? Emergency.........

I'm going with refrigeration.

from this post and others looks like refrigeration is a win!

I am not assuming a remote place. I am assuming that I would be a liveaboard in a marina. I know marina's have their own boatyards, but lots of people hire their own contractors to get better results (or just lower costs).
Old 12-19-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Or electrical.
Old 12-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
.....I am not assuming a remote place. I am assuming that I would be a liveaboard in a marina. I know marina's have their own boatyards, but lots of people hire their own contractors to get better results (or just lower costs).
This is really a deal breaker. Most marinas highly regulate who can work on their grounds. At the least, they want a piece of the action. Others simply forbid anyone other than their own staff. There are some exceptions, but I've never been docked at one.

One trick is to get your Captain's license, if you don't already, and get on retainer as the caretaker of boats at your marina. The caretakers can sometimes be exceptions, but usually because their skills are limited. If you were taking all the work away, you might find them unwelcoming again.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 12-22-2011

GOsailor is on a distinguished road
Hi aeventyr60,
Another sailnet member told me you sail in the Thailand neighborhood, and I am planning to sail in May from SF to Bangkok. Need someplace to land and stay in Bangkok for a few months. I'm looking for a marina, if any exist, a safe place to keep the boat on the hard, a good anchorage, or a good place to tie up - up the river from bangkok. Bangkok seems most practical to me as i'll be living in the Chiang Mai area, Pattaya is too expensive and Phuket is too far. Must be cheaper than the average American marina monthly as i'll probably be living on a Thai salary for a while. Any help, and experience you can share is greatly appreciated. Cheers,
Axel
Old 12-23-2011

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Ahoy Axel,

You will find that the Thai marina's have gotten more expensive over the past few years. Not sure about up the river near Bangkok, as we have mostly been on the West side. Also, Pattaya not a very safe place to leave your boat unattended. Many break ins at the so called "secure" dock. If price is the chief concern, then I'd leave it in Malaysia, near Langkawi at a place called "hole in the wall" I think a safe mooring is about 100 bucks a month maybe less. I know there is a new small marina in Krabbi, which we will be checking out in February. Over in the far Eastern part of Thailand, Ko Chang there is a German guy that has a small dock and few moorings, I'll try to see what i can find out. We are in transit up the Mallaca strait for the next week or so, so will be incummuncado for a bit.
Cheers,
Matt

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 12-25-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
You won't make much money off of fellow cruisers. Your better off helping those around you because you may need their help in return. "What comes around"...... I've found work abroad as a Dive Master, and as a Delivery Capt. And hanging around places that "Lonely Planet" Backpackers frequent. I've never had trouble going inland to adventure tourist hot spot's and talking a couple of adventure junkies into cruising to some out of the way islands for a few day's. I usually go inland because your less likely to get caught soliciting charters. I've taken countless backpackers over the year's from the Poc Na youth hostile in Isla Mujeres up to isla Contoy. From Belize City out to Turneffe Reef. From Lake Atitlan in Guatemala it's easy to talk people into going down to the Rio Dulce. You just keep it on D.L and tell them that if anyone ask's, their not pay'n you, They are just friends cruising with you. I've never been asked or caught. Any where there is a cool Volcano or Ruin's, there are adventure hungry tourist's.
Shipislandpirate likes this.
Old 12-27-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
You won't make much money off of fellow cruisers. Your better off helping those around you because you may need their help in return. "What comes around"...... I've found work abroad as a Dive Master, and as a Delivery Capt. And hanging around places that "Lonely Planet" Backpackers frequent. I've never had trouble going inland to adventure tourist hot spot's and talking a couple of adventure junkies into cruising to some out of the way islands for a few day's. I usually go inland because your less likely to get caught soliciting charters. I've taken countless backpackers over the year's from the Poc Na youth hostile in Isla Mujeres up to isla Contoy. From Belize City out to Turneffe Reef. From Lake Atitlan in Guatemala it's easy to talk people into going down to the Rio Dulce. You just keep it on D.L and tell them that if anyone ask's, their not pay'n you, They are just friends cruising with you. I've never been asked or caught. Any where there is a cool Volcano or Ruin's, there are adventure hungry tourist's.
This is a really interesting idea capt aaron. What do you charge people for such things? I imagine somewhat less than an "official" captained charter? (these types don't generally have the money for the official charter I would think...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.