Which is more practical to know about: refrigeration, sailmaking or diesel repair? - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
I play it by ear. If it's a German couple with fancy gear I'll say I need at least 100 bucks for each day we are out, or 50 buck's a person per day. They Usually spend 50 bucks per person a day in town so it work's out the same for them. I've brought people for more and I've brought people for less. When I did it in Isa Mujeres I would do it for less out of the youth hostile. You just figure out what peoples daily budget is and add a little to it. Keep In mind my cruising cost's a very low. I anchor out for free, I eat a simple diet, I drink cheap rum, My systems are minimal and my maintainance cost's are nill. I'm a bare bones cruiser to the max and alway's have been. I enjoy the freedom that comes from not having a bunch of crap. Some people have camping gear and just want a ride out to some outer islands. some people want a sea going adventure/ sailing lesson. I took a couple of french chick's from Belize City, all the way to the Bay Island's for $500 buck's back in the early 90's. So many times one trip led to another through word of mouth. You have to learn where to hang out, and when to talk about your boat and how cool the Island you were just at is, and let them beg you to take them out. And say your not legally allowed to run charters, and let them suggest doi'n it any way. And reluctantly agree, as long as they don't tell anyone your charg'n, and you would do it for free if you could afford it. I've been doing it since 1990 all over the Western Caribbean.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2011

sfchallenger is on a distinguished road
I'd say your best bet to make the best income is to get USCG certified as at least a 50 ton Master. Then you can do deliveries on other people's boats, run a legitimate charter of your own, or pilot someone else's legitimate charter operation. You can still learn everything about diesel repair, refrigeration, and sailmaking and you will sound more authorative with the captain's liscence, whether you persue individual certification in the other three or not.
Old 12-29-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Refrigeration will require you to get multiple licenses (new one in each country if you're cruising) AND to keep multiple sets of tools and gas bottles. Each gas or mix requires separate pressure gauge sets, separate recovery equipment, etc. Unless you do it all illegally and sloppily you're gonna need a bigger boat.

One down, two to go. No reason that you can't buy all the diesel tools and a sewing machine at the same time.
Old 12-29-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
.......I am assuming that I would be a liveaboard in a marina. I know marina's have their own boatyards, but lots of people hire their own contractors to get better results (or just lower costs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Refrigeration will require you to get multiple licenses (new one in each country if you're cruising) AND to keep multiple sets of tools and gas bottles. Each gas or mix requires separate pressure gauge sets, separate recovery equipment, etc. Unless you do it all illegally and sloppily you're gonna need a bigger boat.

One down, two to go. No reason that you can't buy all the diesel tools and a sewing machine at the same time.
The OP is planning to work out of a marina, so tools could be stored in a van ashore. However, there are many other impediments to this plan working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.