SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Living aboard.... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/82285-living-aboard.html)

Hawaiigirl 01-02-2012 09:50 PM

Living aboard....

Can anyone give me tips for living aboard...I know this is such a general question but honestly...I do NOT have a clue as to what it would be like...I have lived in an RV for over 20 years so I think I can adjust as far as the limited space...is it expensive?

mdbee 01-02-2012 10:16 PM

You might want to browse through other posts here.

jackdale 01-02-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdbee (Post 812700)
You might want to browse through other posts here.

That advice might be able to provide some focus to some more specific questions.

The first ones I might ask of you:

Where are you planning on living aboard? What locale? In a marina? On the hook?

What type of boat?

Faster 01-02-2012 11:06 PM

Yes, do some reading and when you have some more info and focused questions there are plenty of people here who will be able to help.

Welcome to SN, btw!

neverknow 01-02-2012 11:31 PM

RV vs Boat?

Well the differences are kind of the same. I'd suggest attending some boat shows and seeing the sizes/space and deciding on what you think will work for you.

Take some boating classes, The coast guard aux classes will help. You have to learn the rules of the road and navigation. Sailing classes if sailing is what you decide on.

If you are in a RV now than you probably pay for a camp site, it's the same for boats at marinas. There are some sites that list marina prices. They can very wildly. Of coarse you can never tie up and stay on the hook too.

The biggest problem we have found by talking to many live-aboards is transportation at each place you stop. You are limited by taxis, public or renting cars to get around. You might find that hard to get used to coming from a RV where you can drive where you want. But than again on a boat you can get to places others can't.

Just somethings to think about.....

CaptainForce 01-03-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverknow (Post 812734)
.........The biggest problem we have found by talking to many live-aboards is transportation at each place you stop. You are limited by taxis, public or renting cars to get around...................

I just need to add bicycles. A large number of liveaboards use either folding or full size bikes to reach all their needs. Of course, some ports lend themselves to easier bicycle transportation than others. Take care and joy, Aythya crew

BubbleheadMd 01-03-2012 09:16 AM

Also, the "why" of it all comes into play.

Is this cheap, substitute housing for you, or are you actually planning to sail places? Where are you planning on doing this?

If your name is any indication, in Hawaii it could be very expensive. In other areas, not so much.

wingNwing 01-03-2012 09:35 AM

Slightly confused; your intro post talks about doing the ICW - I'd assume that you were living aboard during that adventure?

bljones 01-03-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neverknow (Post 812734)

Well the differences are kind of the same.

Yogi? Is that you?

97fxdwg 01-20-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 812817)
Yogi? Is that you?

'Nobody goes there anymore, it's way too crowded." Sorry Yogi.:)