Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
A different kind of insurance question

I live on my boat so I do not have a renters or homeowners policy. I do have a proper yacht policy with coverage for $20,000 personal belongings. It also covers equipment layed up in a storage unit(boom, sails, lines, etc)

The problem is that it will not cover the contents of my car or the 2 high end mountain bikes on the rack.

The company is Acadia and they will not schedule my bikes or the contents of my car. My auto insurance will not cover the contents or the bikes either.

Anyone know of a good insurance company that will cover these items without renters or homeowners?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2012

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I spent nearly 30 years in the specialty/surplus Insurance lines. I do not understand your reluctance buying a renter's policy. It will provide personal liability coverage. Not familiar with personal liability coverage, serve a few drinks on your boat and have one of your guests get in a car and run a stop sign hitting a car load of Nuns. What you will learn about personal liability insurance is, you will wish you had it when you see your defence attorney bills in your mail box. Once you have a renters policy, then add a (P. P. O. P.) rider to cover the bikes and other Personal Property Off Premises.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
I spent nearly 30 years in the specialty/surplus Insurance lines. I do not understand your reluctance buying a renter's policy....
Exactly where do you infer that I do not want to purchase a renters policy? I would if I could. I cannot find an underwriter that will offer it on a boat or a rented storage space.

Old 01-19-2012

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The guy 2 slips down from me had state farm, he used the marina address as the rental location.

Never Forgotten

Old 01-19-2012

Personal Insurance for Computers, Jewelry & More - State Farm

Never Forgotten

Old 01-19-2012

try these folks, they are from Maine
Insurance for your Boat, Yacht, Personal Watercraft, Lobster Boat, Liveaboard or Chartered vessel form Butler Marine Insurance - Southwest Harbor, Maine

Never Forgotten

Old 01-19-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
We had the same problem with State Farm not accepting our marina address as the rental location, nor would they insure the boat (too old for them, >20 years). We ended up insuring the boat through IMIS.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 01-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
The guy 2 slips down from me had state farm, he used the marina address as the rental location.
My insurance company said that would not work because it is not a residence.

Old 01-19-2012

Some great ideas here. I will do some more research tomorrow.