Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
You're in an interesting situation, with interesting challenges Gary.

Do you think the local entertainment scene will get upset with you for intruding on their territory?
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
We cruised for six years and it's a problem for many. We knew a couple of cruisers who were trying to do it with investments -- except they weren't doing long term investments, they were trying to do market timing. That's a problem when internet connections are spotty. Others did canvas work, deliveries, under the table diesel or outboard work, etc. -- but nothing that was a reliable source of income. Some had rentals "back home" -- and that was a problem with property management.

Others periodically went home and worked as temps -- particularly in the medical fields. Knew several nurses and one PA that did this -- it worked well, except for taking a year out of cruising and finding a place to leave the boat.

The bottom line is that there isn't a great way to earn money as you cruise -- some people have some skills that give them some extra money but few have something that works well as a steady income. Still, an extra $100 or $200 a month can go a long ways if you don't have a big boat payment or feel the need to stay in high-end marinas, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post

Do you think the local entertainment scene will get upset with you for intruding on their territory?
Without getting political - think about how Americans respond to illegal workers. Do you think other countries would accept your taking employment away from residents?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Quote:

In this particular industry, the entertainment biz, the lifespan of a job varies considerably. I know of a couple entertainers who work Baltimore's Little Italy and have been there for two decades. They worked 5-nights a week, but never worked Sunday or Monday nights. The club's owner decided that would be a good day to rotate some new performers through the restaurant/bar area, and I was one of them. After a single, Sunday night performance the owner asked if I would consider working every Sunday, which I did for the next two years.

In the Florida Keys entertainers are frequently seasonal, which translates to lower pay and a fair amount of competition. Therefore, I drove down to the keys last winter, checked out the nightly entertainment, then looked at the demographics. Key West, while always a jumpin' town, was geared primarily for the younger set, adolescent adults ranging in age from 21 to 45--not my kind of crowd (I'm an old guy.)

Marathon, Big Pine Key, Key Largo and several others seemed to cater to the older, more laid-back kind of crowds, which is where I fit in nicely. As our population ages there's an increasing demand for the entertainment I provide. An old friend and keys resident told me in no uncertain terms that if I decided to perform in the middle and lower keys I would have more jobs than I could handle.

In contrast, the head-banging rockers playing at ear-bleed volumes have a tendency to drive the older folks away--something restaurant and bar owners do NOT wish to do. Older folks have money, and they are willing to spend it in a place where they're having fun and dance.

Ironically, most performers in seasonal, resort areas tend to be transient, a bit younger, and not a bit concerned about an old guy coming to town. Some even look at me as a kind of father figure, often coming up to me on breaks and asking advice about various types of equipment.

I only want to work a couple nights a week, just enough to meet expenses and allow me to sail to places I've never been in a small boat. If the music jobs fall apart, I guess I'll have to survive on my Social Security and eat the fish that I catch while sailing to some really neat places.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 01-24-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Can you give some examples of entry fees >$300? I've been planning some long distance cruising next year. My research, with piles of entry information, must be faulty because the Bahamas fee seems to be comparatively pretty steep. French Polynesia hasn expensive bond, but you get that back when you exit. Are there some surprises I'm not aware of? Would appreciate any specific info you have from your experiences.
We spent a season in the Eastern Caribbean and it was not too bad there with fees from zero (French Islands if you cleared at a government office, otherwise 3 or 5 euros) to the Bahamas. Only a few places were over $100. Some places have mandatory mooring use (which I can understand), Saint John and Nevis come to mind - I think they were something like $15 a night.

Heading west, the formerly Spanish countries are the worst. In Panama they knick you everything - entry, harbormaster's fees, quarantine charges, internal zarpes (to go between customs districts within the country), exit fees (external zarpe), health fees. We got a fine in Colon because the Port Captain in the San Blas signed our cruising permit rather than giving us the right form, although he did not charge us for his signature and the fine was less than the proper form would have cost. This reminded me of the cruising permit fee, the fee to the Kuna Indians and the fee to the five Kuna Indian municiplalities. All of these range from $5 to about $100, but in total it was probably $500 or so. Oops, forgot the mariner's visa which we did not pay but others who entered the country elsewhere did pay ($50/person). You get the idea.

In Ecuador you must have an agent. Also when you go to the Galapagos, which is part of Ecuador, you cannot get an internal zarpe, which you would need to go to Manta, Ecuador for example, but an external zarpe. When you get to the Galapagos (different agent) I (foolishly) thought he would do all the paperwork, like the guy in mainland Ecuador, but he just came onboard with seven (7!) officials and I did all the paperwork with them. The agent did get the external zarpe for us but to the Marquesas instead of Easter Island so we had to wait around for two days (including when the tsunami from Japan came) to get a new zarpe. This consisted of a new printout of the old zarpe on which they crossed out Marquesas and put in Isla Pascua, Chile. We asked them to do this with the orginal zarpe but they said they needed to print out a new one.

It is not only the Spanish places though. In Fiji they were starting to hit boats with a fumigation charge on top of all the others. We talked to a couple who had arrived directly from New Zealand and all their fees including the fumigation (a guy came on board with a little bug sprayer) was >$700. Even our friends in Aussie ding you. We paid for two one year, multi-entry visas ($105 each - no one can explain why Australia requires a visa for Canadians) and $330 for the quarantine charge - so there is $540 and that is Aussie bucks which are worth slightly more than the North American varieties.

If you go to On AiniA you can see what we spent from Florida to French Polynesia in six months. To that point we had spent $1773 for government fees (not including the canal) and less than $600 for fuel. By the time we got settled in Oz, we were close to $3000 for government fees over 10 months; in contrast we spent probably $700 on fuel and propane and that is paying quite high prices for these.

Edit - I noticed you mentioned the bond in FP. We signed up to the Pacific Puddle Jumpers group (free) and they had an arrangment with an agent in Tahiti, (very nice and helpful lady) where you paid them a fee and did not have to put up the bond. She also did entry/exit and arranged for duty-free fuel. The latter two you could do yourself but we did not know that at the time. It was convenient to do it this way. The bond is a pain since you have to make sure that the bank in Bora Bora or wherever you are leaving from has enough of the currency you paid so that you can get it back - you don't want to get it back in French Polynesian Francs since you will get killed on exchange in Fiji or wherever you can exchange them. Don't see why you can't put it on a credit card and get it back that way, but you can't. Also you do not get all your bond back since there are various bank fees and foreign exchange fees involved (the bond is FPFs so if you pay in US dollars there are two foreign exchange charges). You can also avoid the bond if you buy a (refundable) air ticket from Papeete to somewhere in your own country for each person onboard. This can really be a lot of money to have tied up.

Hope this helps, I wish someone explained this to me before I went, would have saved a lot of hassle (but probably not much money).
jackdale, smurphny and VK540 like this.

Last edited by killarney_sailor; 01-24-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Without getting political - think about how Americans respond to illegal workers. Do you think other countries would accept your taking employment away from residents?
Jack,

A few posts back, I covered this. I do not approve of sailors cruising into foreign ports and intruding upon local businesses.

I do think it's acceptable within one's own country. IE "coastal" cruising.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
First and foremost, I would be legal, regardless of where I traveled. Traveling to another nation without proper documentation and paying all fees, IMHO, is akin to invading that nation. And, anyone that does this should be prepared to suffer the consequences. Keep in mind there are lots of foreign entertainers who travel to the U.S. to perform, and they're not displacing anyone's job. No one complained about The Beetles, Enrico Pavaratti, Caruso, and a host of other performers that struck it rich in the U.S. show biz market. In fact, they were a boom to the U.S. economy.

As an entertainer, we don't take jobs away from other entertainers. Each is somewhat unique, and each successful entertainer I know actually creates jobs--even for other entertainers. For example, if I provide the restaurant/bar owner with increased profit, he or she will more than likely explore the possibility of expanding the number of days or nights they have entertainment for the customers. And, if they diversify their forms of entertainment, this would likely lead to an increased customer base, thus translating into more jobs for allied service personnel.

If you wish to get an idea of the entertainment I provide, you can go to http://psrtutorial.com/perf/garyDiamond.html and click on the Jukebox player or individual song. These are not high-quality recordings--just quick, digital recordings that I use to monitor my performances and develop ways to improve what I do.

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 01-24-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2012

Gary

Even The Beatles required a visa

Quote:
There are various categories (called classifications) of nonimmigrant visas for a person who wishes to work temporarily in the United States, based on U.S immigration laws, specifically the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you want to work in the U.S. temporarily, under immigration law, you need a specific visa based on the purpose of your travel and type of work you will be doing. To learn more, please see United States Citizenship and Immigration Service’s (USCIS) Working in the U.S. webpage.

Review Temporary Workers on the USCIS website for more detailed information about each category, petition procedures and eligibility for each type of temporary worker below. See Employer Information on the USCIS website for information about the numerical limit CAP count, e-Verify, and more. There are annual numerical limits on some visa types, which are shown in parentheses below.
Quote:
P-1 Individual or Team Athletes, or Members of an Entertainment group that are internationally recognized (25,000);
P-2 Artists or Entertainers who will perform under a reciprocal exchange program;
P-3 Artists or Entertainers who perform under a program that is culturally unique; and
Q-1 Participants in an International Cultural Exchange Program for the purpose of providing practical training, employment, and the sharing of the history, culture, and traditions of the alien's home country.
Temporary Worker Visas

As a sailing instructor, I do not take my students into the San Juan Islands.
Old 01-24-2012

Quote:
Jack,

A few posts back, I covered this. I do not approve of sailors cruising into foreign ports and intruding upon local businesses.

I do think it's acceptable within one's own country. IE "coastal" cruising.
Sorry missed it -late into the thread.
Old 01-24-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Some may get in to writing for a magazine, but even that pays next to nothing, unless you are at the top of the game, perhaps $50-70 a page, if you are lucky
While only a lucky few can support themselves on writing alone, my experience has been that you can make a decent monthly cruising income from writing and photography, and typically more than $50-$70 per page if you're good. I'm sure Gary can attest to this.

Additional money can be made online while cruising if you've got web design skills or on a high traffic website with quality content.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.