SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Am I Dreaming or can this be done (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/83128-am-i-dreaming-can-done.html)

AKAPeterc 01-26-2012 03:26 AM

Am I Dreaming or can this be done

I am planing on going to the USA in July 2013, purchasing a yacht and joining the 2014 World ARC Round the World Rally back to Australia.

I have a budget of $190k so I am looking at purchasing a yacht for $150K and allowing $40K to spend on setting up the yacht ready for a trip across the pacific. I assume I will need a water maker, new rigging & nav gear.

I plan to purchase in Florida which gives me 6 months to purchase, setup and sail down to St Lucia.

I plan on living aboard with my teenage foster child. ( I will be 55 ) I have been thinking of purchasing a Hunter 45 or perhaps a Catalina 42. Do you think this is all doable or am I dreaming.

I am going to Florida this July 2012 for a holiday and allowing a few days in Miami to scout out the area. Has anyone also got any ideas on who would be best to suss out on this scouting trip eg: brokers & surveyors. Thanks for any advice

joethecobbler 01-26-2012 03:43 AM

start locating DIY boat yards and other storage yards as well as watch craigslist.
Donlt get hung up on a particular boat. choose from the available boats.
you should have absolutely no problem finding something to fit your budget.

at least that would be my approach.

jameswilson29 01-26-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKAPeterc (Post 821498)
I have a budget of $190k so I am looking at purchasing a yacht for $150K and allowing $40K to spend on setting up the yacht ready for a trip across the pacific. I assume I will need a water maker, new rigging & nav gear.

190K budget - 150K boat - 40K set up = 0 for living expenses?:confused:

kd3pc 01-26-2012 07:49 AM

Peter,

You may HAVE to spend $40K on upgrades to even travel with the ARC, they require a pretty good kit of safety gear and your boat will be subject to their inspections. I would certainly read up on their requirements before I spent too much on watermakers and such.

I believe they also require mandatory attendance at several prep sessions, and will want to see some credentials or CV of your sailing experience. I have also been told that they are looking seriously at having "their" boats transported through pirate territory, after this past years' debacle.

This is all 3rd party from a couple of coastal sailors who were quite disappointed in ARC's plans to make a safe event.

of course, YMMV

chuck53 01-26-2012 08:00 AM

As much as I like Catalinas (I have a 34), they are not considered to be bluewater boats. Not that a lot of money can't be spent to upgrade them, but I think I'd buy a boat that was made from the ground up to be a bluewater boat. I think most people will say that Hunters are one notch down from Catalinas.
So my advice, look at boats that were designed for your purpose and I'm sure you will find a decent one with the budget you have.

AKAPeterc 01-26-2012 08:29 AM

Thanks I am taking all your comments on board

AKAPeterc 01-26-2012 08:33 AM

I have allowed for rally fees and living expenses in my budget, the amount of $190k is the total boat budget

aeventyr60 01-26-2012 09:18 AM

Why would you join the ARC for an easy down wind sail back to OZ? Best you check out the visa requirements for the USA. Several of my ozzie friends have tried to do what you want to do, and have had to leave because the visa ran out before the boat was properly prepared and had HUGE problems after getting under way.

It will take longer then you think to prepare, cost more then you think to outfit and cost more to cruise back to oz then you think.

Good luck anyway..

TQA 01-26-2012 10:12 AM

See other thread for answers

N.B. Poor forum etiquette to post in multiple sub forums,

sck5 01-26-2012 10:41 AM

if you are going to st. lucia you dont want to start from Florida. It is a long long bash upwind in the trades from there. Far better to either leave from the Chesapeake or NC (plenty of boats and yards in the Chesapeake) or skip St. Lucia and head from Florida straight to Panama