Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Beneath the surface of the post, there was something else going on.
I'm sure you are right, although, what lies beneath may not be as nefarious as you suggest.

Without full disclosure and open discussion from the parties in question, we can only speculate as to the nature of their relationship.

I choose to do this speculation in the privacy of my own mind.
sawingknots likes this.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I'm fairly confident that at this stage of life my loving wife of a half-century could NOT handle the boat by herself if something happened to me. Five years ago I fell through the hatch on my 27 Catalina. I dropped nearly 7 feet to the cabin sole, hit the edge of the bunk, fractured two ribs and nearly blacked out from the pain. My wife was with me, the engine was running at the time of the accident, and despite the fact that I repeatedly showed her how to do everything on the boat, including starting, shifting and running the engine, all of this seemed to go right out of her memory when she saw me fall. After regaining some of my faculties I climbed out of the cabin, lowered the sails and motored us back to the marina. After tying up the boat, she drove me to the hospital emergency room, where we waited nearly four hours before being seen by a doctor and getting X-rays. I was fortunate in that the ribs were only fractured, and the following week we were back out sailing the Chesapeake's upper reaches. She admittedly panicked and since then we've discovered that she has several other phobias related to sailing after a four day trip this past summer.

Gary
Old 02-07-2012

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't buy your claim that "my little lady" is supposed to be descriptive. Give me a break. My wife is petite, too, but if I referred to her as my little lady, she would likely punch me, or at least give me a look.
Interesting. So you imagine that everyone else's relationship with their wife is just the same as yours. Why do you think you feel that way? And just how often DOES your wife punch you?

(By the way, this is a sailing forum, so I would normally stick to sailing topics, but since you decided to air your marital issues in public...)
Old 02-07-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Interesting. So you imagine that everyone else's relationship with their wife is just the same as yours. Why do you think you feel that way? And just how often DOES your wife punch you?

(By the way, this is a sailing forum, so I would normally stick to sailing topics, but since you decided to air your marital issues in public...)
The one difference is I did not start a thread asking for advice (yours or anyone's).

I talk to many, many people regularly about their marital relationship so I know for a fact everyone's relationship is unique.

The interesting thing about folks who are socially clueless is that their role in the marriage is always that of the subordinate/submissive partner. The more clever partner who better understands human relations can more easily manipulate his or her spouse, even letting that spouse appear to be the dominant partner.

Et tu?
deniseO30, Squidd and -OvO- like this.
Old 02-07-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The interesting thing about folks who are socially clueless is that their role in the marriage is always that of the subordinate/submissive partner. The more clever partner who better understands human relations can more easily manipulate his or her spouse, even letting that spouse appear to be the dominant partner.

Et tu?
Oh My Gawd! James! I'm seeing it but don't believe its on the screen! I must admit, as much as it sickens me and how it really gets my equality and feminism feelings all in a knot.. I have to admit it's what I see in so many couples. Gawd, just watching couples walking around the Home center is a show and tell of said dynamic! "OK dear" as she falls in step behind him? doesn't anyone walk side by side anymore? But then, I look at the world only through my eyes of course. Who's manipulating who is always in question is such role play to the casual observer.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-07-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
My wife was with me, the engine was running at the time of the accident, and despite the fact that I repeatedly showed her how to do everything on the boat, including starting, shifting and running the engine, all of this seemed to go right out of her memory when she saw me fall.
Gary - did your wife practise any of this?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-07-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Et tu?
I thought this was common knowlage...

(or wait..we're supposed to keep this a secret...SHHHH..nevermind)
Old 02-07-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
does being married mean being conjoined at the hip? does being married mean having someone who always agrees?does being married mean always having someone who can also sail the boat?,i think "being married" means many things to different people,if being married takes away one right to also being an individual,the price is way too high
Old 02-07-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
does being married mean being conjoined at the hip? ...if being married takes away one right to also being an individual,the price is way too high
+ Cadrillion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 02-07-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-07-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
+ Cadrillion
?,what does that mean

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.