Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Could she sail the boat if necessary?

What an interesting thread. Of course, our marriages tend to generate much emotion. Add sailing in what can at times be stressful conditions (even when nothing is going wrong), and our marriages can really start to generate emotion.

The original question was posed about by the husband essentialy asking how can he encourage his wife to become more proficient. It is a valid question since they have to rely upon each other as crewmates.

I am a sailing instructor and have taught several couples and I formally instructed my own wife (ASA 101 and 103). In general, I think it is a bad idea for a husband to instruct his wife, but in my case it went pretty well. It is also sometimes a bad idea for husbands and wives to take sailing courses together, especially if there is a wide disparity in their interest level. When one spouse is going along with the training to appease the other spouse, tension can develop when things start to get stressful. Anyone who has sailed with their spouse knows what I am talking about. This tension can be magnified during formal instruction. My recommednation in this case is for the husband to suggest that the wife take a course without him being present.

But, if she is not interested in taking a course or becoming at all proficient, then what? Personally, I think he needs to discuss with her his fears and his expectations. Perhaps they can come to an agreement as to what level of proficiency she should strive for. At a minimum, she should be able to drop the sails, engage the engine, and broadcast/call for help. This is not for the husband's sake - if he goes overboard he is lost. This is for her sake so that she has a chance to survive if she finds herself alone on the boat. The more proficient she can become, the better for him and the better for her. I'd not worry about docking and anchoring so much - yes these are important skills, but if she is suddenly alone on the boat, a poor job of docking is the least of her worries.

One respondant posted about his experience falling through a hatch and his wife having to take over. The only accident/injury I've ever experienced at sea was very similar. I fell through a hatch after messing with the mainsail. My wife and I were sailing over a long weekend with another couple (non-sailors) aboard. I was hurt pretty badly, but thankfully there were no broken bones. My wife was completely able to control the boat for the rest of the day both under sail and later on the engine. With the help of our friends, she was more than able to dock the boat. Her ability to handle the boat was the difference between being embarrassed and being in trouble.

Now, as much as marriage and sailing can generate emotion, that is nothing compared to JordanH's inflammatory remark:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
I *hate* that. Although, we don't have a hatch on which to leave open/closed, I have hit my head many times because of ball caps in the same way. One way to avoid it is to give up the ball cap in favour of a dorky Tilley hat. Outside of the better sun protection, they also have a foam top which cushions the blow on those hatch/head meetings!
"Dorky" Tilly hat - tread lightly friend. Them's fighting words!

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012

JordanH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
Now, as much as marriage and sailing can generate emotion, that is nothing compared to JordanH's inflammatory remark:

Mine has been around the world - Italy, Asia, Caribbean and sailed around the Great Lakes. The first hat ever sold was to someone in my yacht club... I believe Alex was a member, although I don't see his name in the book at present.

But lets call a spade a spade. You aren't going to be seeing those wonderful (dorky) hats on the cover of People, Rolling Stone, or any fashion magazine.
Old 03-07-2012

MarioG is on a distinguished road

I'm very lucky, from the start my 1st mate was a natural. She seems to have a feel for it, even when we were just starting you would have thought she had been sailing for years, she could read the wind on the water and trim the sails accordingly. She might not have know all the terms but from the start she has been able to sail any of our 3 boats with little to no help from me. The only arguements are for time at the helm.
Old 03-07-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post

I suppose the wearing of a Tilly hat could constitute cruelty sufficient to be grounds for divorce, assuming:

1. the blatant dorkiness is intentional and not genetically based;
2. the victimized spouse had no idea her intended was so afflicted with dorkiness to rise to the level of wearing a Tilly hat (Relevant questions: Did your intended ever wear a plaid sports coat before you were married? Listen to Abba or Barry Manilow? Cry during a karoake rendition of "Feelings"?)

Last edited by jameswilson29; 03-07-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-07-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

ENOUGH Tilley-bashing!

I love my Tilley hat! It even gives me money. Although I'm sure a more logical explanation is that I put the $20 in the secret compartment and then just forgot about it.
Minnewaska likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 03-07-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

For head banging you can't beat a Cowichan wool toque.Classy too on 202 cm.
Old 03-07-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I think I've banged the hatch with every kind of hat made. The best, at least the hat that provided the most protection, was a stetson--Lots of room between the top of the hat and your head.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 03-11-2012

sailorswife is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your kind words Donna (DRFerron) they cheered me up. Not sure whether I will be a sailor for life (am 99% sure I won't) but at least I can try to make the best of the foreseeable sailing future.