Not a Member? 

Like Tree241Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
She wasn't surfing so it would have to apply. Length is the easiest way to increase speed. Large ships today travel way under hull speed economically. Hull speed of a Panamax ship surpasses 40 knots.
That is not different with us. If the hull speed is 8k the economic engine speed would be about 4.5, 5K.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

My theoretical hull speed is 6.75kt, the most efficient speed of my engine (Vetus M4.15 33hp diesel) is 2000rpm. At 2000rpm w/16x9 prop I am doing 6.5kt using <0.4gph
6.5kt seems to be the "magic number" for my boat, it doesn't take much to get the boat to 6.5 under sail either.
Old 05-14-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

then again there's power sailing. always seem to pick up a knot or two that way. still best to have a easily driven boat and keep the damn thing off. ( grin)
Old 05-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
then again there's power sailing. always seem to pick up a knot or two that way. still best to have a easily driven boat and keep the damn thing off. ( grin)
At 2200rpm, my stern is squatted down in the water, I am using alot more fuel and gaining a 1/2kt over 2000rpm. I am going over the boats hull speed and am at it's physical limit. What you call "power sailing would not gain my more than a 1/2kt. My boat is what used to be called an auxiliary, back when engines were an auxiliary form of propulsion. Now adays it seems people use their sails for auxiliary and/or entertainment and their engines to get the boat back to the dock in time. If you need to go faster than sails will allow then maybe you should trade your boat in on a "stink pot". If a knot or too stresses you out you need to spend more time sailing...put yourself in a position where you don't have to be any where or back from anywhere at any time special.
To those of you that this does not apply, please don't be offended, because it was not directed at you. To those of you that this does apply, don't get offended either, just learn to chill.
Old 05-14-2013

Wolfie - I once totally ruin the salt water cooling system of a earlier boat by sailing on and off my mooring and anchoring out when cruising. Think I had zero engine hours that season. When it was time pull the boat for the winter found out mussels and other critters had taken up residence in the cooling system. Ended up having to replace most of it. Was embarressing getting towed in to be pulled. Oh well. Still, think the engine is the aid of the sails although the last few boats have been documented as oil screws. See too many folks rocking and rolling liberating hydrocarbons unneccessarily when they could leave a sail up and have a nicer ride,burn less fuel and have the pleasure of a sail up. Only time my main comes down is when I'm running in a significant breeze or singling on a day sail and too lazy to pull it up. Agree it's a problem with narrow sterns. They do tend to squat under power. Was trying to encourage more sailing. Sorry you took it differently.

Last edited by outbound; 05-14-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2013

Wolfie- I apologize re read yur post.Maybe there is some confusion. By power sailing I mean leaving at least the main up when the engine is on.
Old 05-15-2013

RickWestlake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
At 2200rpm, my stern is squatted down in the water, I am using alot more fuel and gaining a 1/2kt over 2000rpm. I am going over the boats hull speed and am at it's physical limit. What you call "power sailing would not gain my more than a 1/2kt. My boat is what used to be called an auxiliary, back when engines were an auxiliary form of propulsion. Now adays it seems people use their sails for auxiliary and/or entertainment and their engines to get the boat back to the dock in time. If you need to go faster than sails will allow then maybe you should trade your boat in on a "stink pot". If a knot or too stresses you out you need to spend more time sailing...put yourself in a position where you don't have to be any where or back from anywhere at any time special.
To those of you that this does not apply, please don't be offended, because it was not directed at you. To those of you that this does apply, don't get offended either, just learn to chill.
And for those of us with MacGregor motorsailers, like my old 26X?

The best of both worlds ... and the worst.
Old 05-15-2013

Even living at the dock and not taking my boat out I still exercise my engine.

The MacGregors with enough power can get up and plane to get you back to the marina in time so you don't miss cocktail hour. As much as I dislike them, I have noticed one thing about MacGregors.....the owners do tend to use them a lot more, and that what it's all about right.
It is possible for me to get my boat over 20kts....but that would involve putting it on a container ship.
Old 05-16-2013

Yup- for the last 25+ years take her out for a run now and again. Believe the diesel gets more "exercise" when run under a load then on the mooring or slip. Live and learn.
Old 05-16-2013

Running it under load at the slip occasionally is still better than just letting it sit, and yes I do take it out occasionally.

Tags
boat buying , newbee advice