Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Reflectors

I've been finding a lot of uses for reflectors ,both peel and stick, and used aluminium traffic signs from the scrapyard. You can wash the writing off the latter with laquer thinner.
After trying vainly to grope my way into some lee shore harbour entrances on dark windy nights, I stuck some reflectors up ,with bolts run thru them, cemented into rock crevices, which give an instant reference point on a dark nite. Now entering these harbours at nite is light years easier and safer. You will see such reflectors on many BC anchorage entrances. Range reflectors which you line up, will also work, altho I haven't done any; yet.
Reflectors on a mooring buoy make it far easier to pick up on a dark nite. Ditto reflectors on the end of a dock.
If a boat comes into an anchorage on a dark nite, trying to find his way in with a spotlight, my boat lights up like an Xmas tree ,thanks to lots of peel and stick reflectors, especially the ones on the ends, showing how far my boat extends.
Round surfaces give you the most omnidirectional visibility.
They can also make a lost dinghy easier to find at night, and reduce the odds of them getting run over..
swanbedankt (01-08-2014)
Old 02-01-2012

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Excellent ideas. I'm not sure how the coasties will react to a set of "unofficial" channel ranges (they yank them around here when they find them), but I know those signs light up like no-one's business under the dimmest of lights.

I think this might be getting used somewhere....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i once saw a cruising sailboat at anchor in out othe way place actually in a no wake zone,get completely run over by a glacer bay power boat[at 2-3 am] many power boaters are not looking up for a light or mistake a anchor light for some random shore light,when achored in a strange place i sometimes display a couple of small lights nearer the water line,cg regulations be dammed
Old 02-01-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Good post. I have stick-on orange bicycle reflectors on either side of my bowsprit.
billdix likes this.
Old 02-01-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulfromNWOnt View Post
Excellent ideas. I'm not sure how the coasties will react to a set of "unofficial" channel ranges (they yank them around here when they find them), but I know those signs light up like no-one's business under the dimmest of lights.

I think this might be getting used somewhere....
We have a famous one in the Gulf Islands at the entrance to Pirates Cove. It is daylight only, I believe.

Brent

What about just using some SOLAS tape. More expensive, but less work.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
i once saw a cruising sailboat at anchor in out othe way place actually in a no wake zone,get completely run over by a glacer bay power boat[at 2-3 am] many power boaters are not looking up for a light or mistake a anchor light for some random shore light,when achored in a strange place i sometimes display a couple of small lights nearer the water line,cg regulations be dammed
I see nothing in ColRegs that prohibits additional lights. Just make sure you have an anchor light.
Old 02-01-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Many of our coast inlets and anchorages are completely with out visual clues on the dark and cloudy nights .Brents suggestions are great if you're coming coming back to same place and know what the reflectors are saying. I go a step farther with a very powerful strobe/anchor light combo.Carefully used ( impaired night vision) it shows the log booms,shore line, unlite anchored vessels and where I'll put my stern line to shore.Better than radar for up close and personal.
billdix likes this.
Old 02-01-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
I put SOLAS tape on my dinghy outboard cover. It lights up great when a light hits it.

I also put SOLAS partway up my mast so I can easily find my boat in a dark crowded anchorage without shining a light at the hull and disturbing people.

FYI, my SOLAS tape in the shape of the letter "T". If you copy that, four of my friends and I may climb onto your boat at 3AM and fall asleep. I'll take cream and sugar in my morning coffee, french toast and three ibuprophen.
Old 02-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Better than radar for up close and personal.
Radar will help you see, it may not help others see you.

That being said, I am a huge fan of radar for anchoring at night. Last July I anchored in Port McNeill in the fog, at night. I just picked big hole among the targets. Being able to get a range to the targets was fabulous. I might start doing in the in daylight to verify my questimates of distance. I cannot rely it because my students may end up on boats without radar.
Old 02-01-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
I think it is completely legal to have "additional" lights in cockpit or on deck when anchored, so long as you also have the masthead light. We usually use a couple of those solar-powered LED garden lights. One we can hang from the solar frame. We got really lucky with a couple of the ones with built-in stakes and could stick them in the top of the winches, hey, cheap security for $5. Makes your boat easier to pick out in the anchorage coming back late at night, anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: