Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2003

Booher is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

I have a 1987 322 Oday and it is in very good condition. I sail it mainly around the Chesapeak bay area. I want to make a trip to the Bahamas in May 2004. I was wondering what I should do to make the boat safer for the trip of should I just get a blue water boat. Not sure if replacing the rigging etc is worth the expense or just move up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2003

DICKWATERS is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

Been to the Bahamas for the last three winters and if your boat is safe enough for the Cheasapeake you are probably good for the Bahamas.

My usual route had been down the ICW between Norfolk and Beaufort NC and then offshore to Fernandina Beach... and then ICW to Vero Beach for re-provisioning... then Ft Pierce to the Little Bahamas Banks and on to the Abacos... from the Abacos you can sail to
Eluthera''s and the Exuma''s.

If you are not an offshore person take the ICW all the way down and then make a one day sail from Ft Pierce to the Bahamas... wait for a good weather window and the crossing is an easy sail.

Your main considerations are fuel, water and refrigeration... if your fuel and water capacities are low you can make due with jerry jugs and you can get by without refrigeration depending on your life style.

Be sure to take a serious anchor, chain and rode.
Old 10-23-2003

maestro is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

Although I don''t think of an O''Day as an offshore boat ( I Own and LOVE my O''Day 22 and have sailed on an O''Day 30) they are robust boats that can take a beating (as you probably know)

but FYI...I have read numerous accounts of O''Day 25''s making the trip to the bahamas. I have also known someone who made the trip with an O''Day 272 and they had no problem as long as the weather cooperated.

I think that you should be fine if you prepare, wait for good weather and be careful... my $.02
Old 10-23-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

Booher,

I''ve sailed my 26 footer offshore on several trips.One of those trips was to the Bahamas. All the offshore trips I''ve made with her were during the Spring, when weather is much more predictable. If crossing the stream during the winter months, the windows of opportunity are fewer. From what I''ve seen while aboard others boats,if you get caught out in bad weather while crossing the stream, it''s very similar to a giant washing machine on agitator cycle.Since smaller boats typically travel slower than larger ones, I believe it''s very important to be realistic in your estimation of how long it will take you to cross.On my boat, I have an inboard diesel, but I also mounted a outboard stern bracket.If I need to speed things up, I''ll use the outboard off my dink as some additonal power to get on across.I think the main thing is to make sure your boat is equipped with necessary safety gear,go with a good weather window,leave early enough to make landfall during daylight,and follow good navigation practices religiously. If you do those things, you''ll be fine. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2003

Booher is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

Thanks for all the advice. Im not going until May June time frame. I am looking forward to the trip.
Old 12-09-2003

RLK is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

Planning is the key to crossing to the Bahamas. I have a web site for the first time cruiser at http://members.tripod.com/capkool

From the author of four books on boat refrigeration.
http://www.kollmann-marine.com
Old 01-02-2004

bombero22 is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

I''m making the same trip from the upper Chesapeake, leaving April 1 on my Bristol 32''. I''ll be back June 1st. Good Luck
Old 01-03-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

Booher:

Gosh, I thought you were getting some helpful, appropriate advice...until you thru us the curve ball on the timing of your trip. Leaving the Mid-Atlantic States for the Bahamas in mid/late May, all of sudden I think of things like bug screens, wind scoops and good cockpit protection, let alone hydration habits, before you even reach the FL border.

And then a crossing sometime in June or July...? That raises a very different set of issues related to wx monitoring, storm anchoring plans, accummulating reliable information on the few decent anchorages where riding out a hurricane is something you''d even consider, and a few related fun topics. Folks summer in the Bahamas, despite the heat, bugs and storm season threats, but choosing that time frame for a first-time island visit is loading the dice a bit if you''re looking for relaxation and an openended itinerary.

Consequently, I''d offer the following list - a bit different from the other comments:
1. Reliable weather monitoring (don''t count on using VHF) of multiple sources (WxFax & SSB)
2. Savvy understanding of how to use the wx f''casts, wx graphics products you pull down
3. Somewhat extreme storm anchoring gear and a storm anchoring plan (assume a major wind shift with storm force conditions on both sides of it)
4. Solid understanding about which hurricane holes you will want to stay within 1-2 days of reaching...and how satisfied you will be with the impact of these constraints on your overall cruising goals
5. For the sites ID''d above, what your own personal plans are once the storm anchoring is completed - stay on the boat? or where can you go, if that isn''t your idea of a ''growth experience'' <g>

Sorry to sound negative, but better you think ''worst case'' given the consequences - and probability - of storms during summer in the islands. Good luck, too.

Jack
Old 01-12-2004

russ325 is on a distinguished road
322 O''''Day to Bahamas

I used to own an O''Day 322 so I know the boat. They are great boats - however as another post has indicated - water & fuel & refrigeration are key. The 322 has very little of either one of these three. I had to add an extra fuel tank, water tank and a refrigerator to mine. Depending on where you go in the Bahamas the services can be very limited and far between.

The weather is always risky regardless of the boat - just watch your windows of opportunity.
Old 01-10-2010
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Did you ever take your trip?

I know it's 6 years later now. I was wondering if you ever made your trip to the Bahamas? I was wondering cause I am going to buy a 322 to live aboard. I wanted to know if it was hard getting across the gulf stream with the boat? and how did the 322 handle? thanks capt. Mike

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.