Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tony gulf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012

Dallas88 is on a distinguished road
Short term storage at random times?? Mooring/slip

I am probably buying an Islander 36 to live aboard in a few months. I am a welder that generally works 3 or 4 months out of the year on nuclear power plants and other than that I don't work.

When I'm off work I'll be cruising but when I have to go to work I'll need to do something with my boat. I was hoping to be "based" around Florida (I have to travel when I work so where I am "based" doesn't really matter all that much) but I've been looking at mooring/slip/storage costs online and the prices seem nuts!! 7 or 800 bucks a month or higher??

I for some reason thought I could get a slip somewhere for around $200 / month. The cheapest I have found is moorings for around $400. Am I missing something? I have found some less expensive hurricane deals by looking over posts here but my work schedule is random and doesn't really follow hurricane season.

So does anyone know a reasonably priced area around FL that I can call my base camp. It doesn't have to be nice or popular. I don't think I would actually spend that much time there. I will have to keep my tools and truck somewhere while I'm off being a cruiser. I was hoping to pick a little town or something where I can rent a little spot for my truck so when I have to go to work I can sail back there, store the boat, drive to where ever it is the job is at, work a couple months, go back to the boat and be a cruiser again! I originally thought I might rent a slip or something year round and just use it when I had to work but the prices have me thinking that it's not very cost effective.

I am hoping that I just haven't searched the right places.

Thanks,
Dallas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Do you need any work done? Have her hauled for bottom paint, brightwork, topside polish, cutlass bearing or whatever. You might get storage for free till you get back.

Depending on how long you will be gone. It may be cheaper to have her hauled and blocked on the hard, if you must pay for storage. Find a huge yard with unused space. Rates for hauled storage will vary much greater than slips and moorings. Shop around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dallas, if your boat is going to sit unattended for 3 months, I'd suggest having it hauled. Storage is cheaper and while someone can drive into it, at least it can't sink while on land. And three months sitting still in warm water WILL require a haul and bottom cleaning when you come back in any case.
The cheaper rates are of course in the less competitive areas, i.e. not the Gold Coast, not a resort area. Add some travel time. East or west coast matter to you?
Old 02-07-2012

Dallas88 is on a distinguished road
I would like to stay around the gulf. My family and friends are split between Georgia and Texas so I was thinking I'd make my "base camp" either north west Florida or Texas. I really thought a mooring/slip in Texas would be cheaper but not so from what I've seen.

I hadn't really thought of having her hauled every time but that is a good idea.... especially if it's cheaper Guess I'll look up some boat yards and prices now.

I just want to make every penny count. I have put a lot of effort in the past 3 years to pay everything I own off and have zero debt so I could do this. The thought of spending soooooo much money on storage now makes me kind of queezy lol. I would rather put my money towards things for the boat and adventures rather than storage.

So what is the average cost of a haul out and hard storage? Obviously I'll be searching the net looking but I'm not really sure I would know a good price if I found one.

Thanks so much!
Dallas
Old 02-12-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to "sub-let" someone's slip? Say boat-owner X owns a slip in Annapolis and he is "down south" somewhere and boat-owner Y comes by and would like to sub-let his slip for a price, so he can go check out DC and be away from his boat 1-2 weeks, will the marina allow this? What if Y was a "friend" of X? Anyone ever see this play out?
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2012

tony gulf is on a distinguished road
Dallas the slip prices here at 5.50 a foot plus 25 dollars for electric. I have worked security in the nuclear field in nebraska. The harbor is new look it up Gulport harbor ms. Georgia is getting two nukes in the next five yrs.
Dallas88 likes this.
Old 02-12-2012

lajimo is on a distinguished road
New Orleans area / and the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain has slips in the $200 month range.
Old 02-12-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Is it possible to "sub-let" someone's slip? Say boat-owner X owns a slip"
Anything is possible IF the slip owner really owns it in fee simple, without any restrictions in the title, without any dock-o-minium restrictions, without any complications that prevent them from leasing their property out.

Is it possible? You'd have to ask the mystery owner to check his deed for restrictions. And then, some folks just do it on the sly anyhow.