Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012

Midnightflyer is on a distinguished road
Thanks All for your input. So far: I've bought the book, We have been talking about the sail plan. I'll sail down the east coast to Annoplis and she'll drive down and meet me, stay in that area for the summer, We'll go home for a few weeks to catch up on getting rid of stuff. Then on south for the winter. This is plan (a) open to change. and open to more input from couples that have already done it.
Oday 28

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
First off, as several have already suggested, you should be asking the question of HER instead of US. What does SHE have to say about what's holding her back. Then, instead of "talking her into it" I'd try to let the lifestyle itself talk her into it. Build a safety net and arrange as much of an exit plan as you can. Put your possessions in storage instead of selling them; rent your house instead of putting it on the market; include $ in the budget for flights home for holidays and other celebrations, talk the employer into giving you a leave of absence instead of quitting, etc etc. Then go sailing. Open-ended. After a month, or a few months, or a year ... you can choose to go back, or go on. The pressure is gone, if you know you can come back any time.
mdi likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 02-09-2012

PS to midnight - we'll be in Annapolis this summer, would love to get together and chat more about the life ...
Midnightflyer likes this.

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

and
! And a new project:
Old 02-09-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Now that all of the serious advice is out of the way...

Tell her you'll go easy, you will stop anytime she wants to, and establish a safe word that she can use whenever she is pushed beyond her limits.

Come to think of it, this advice applies to a variety of situations.

Old 02-09-2012

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road

Talking Her into it?-36831_700b.jpg

Old 02-13-2012

Midnightflyer is on a distinguished road
WingNwing, I would love to have Ruth talk to someone that has taken the plunge. We spoke to a couple while standing in line as we drooled over one of the boats at the Annapolis Boat Show. She said that she never wanted to go back to "Living on the dirt" and was happy moving every six months or so, seeing new places and new people. That's for me! New places and new things to try. I would be content to follow the warm weather south and return to the north for our summer.

Fair Winds,
Bob and Ruth
Oday 28

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
Old 02-14-2012

Midnight, you're on - looking forward to talking with you both in the Chesapeake next summer. At the same time, your plan confuses me. You said your current boat is not the one you're taking to the Keys. So, what boat are you taking to Annapolis? Why not buy your next boat *in* Annapolis and start your trip there? Tons of choices in the Chesapeake - and save yourself that (admittedly beautiful, but long) solo voyage from the Great Lakes?
Midnightflyer likes this.

and
! And a new project:
Old 02-14-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Will one even be able to get down the Erie canal in 2012?

Old 02-14-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Will one even be able to get down the Erie canal in 2012?
Very confusing. I believe they did temporarily reopen sections late last year to exit stranded vessels. Most say it won't all be open at once this coming year, as repairs continue. However, I can't find anyting definitive. I know someone (stinkpot) who spent last summer on the finger lakes and planned to winter on the hard. However, he also planned to get out and is unsure of his fate this year.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-14-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Eryka,

Are you really going to leave the land of palm trees, turquoise waters, wonderful breezes and fantastic snorkeling to return to Annapolis? If everything goes as planned, I hope to voyage south to Marathon Key for the 2012/13 winter, and I can assure you that I'll have a difficult time leaving to return to the Chesapeake's upper reaches.

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.