SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Talking Her into it?

6K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  maine89 
#1 ·
Hi, I need help. The wife is sitting on the fence, almost ready to take the next step to moving aboard. We do stay on board most of the summer on Lake Erie and sail to all the ports we can get into. But I want to get a bigger boat and sail south down the coast to the Keys for the winter. Do you have any ideas how to get her to let go of the land? She loves the boat and loves to travel. So how about some help.

#27 ·
Midnight, you're on - looking forward to talking with you both in the Chesapeake next summer. At the same time, your plan confuses me. You said your current boat is not the one you're taking to the Keys. So, what boat are you taking to Annapolis? Why not buy your next boat *in* Annapolis and start your trip there? Tons of choices in the Chesapeake - and save yourself that (admittedly beautiful, but long) solo voyage from the Great Lakes?

#29 ·
Very confusing. I believe they did temporarily reopen sections late last year to exit stranded vessels. Most say it won't all be open at once this coming year, as repairs continue. However, I can't find anyting definitive. I know someone (********) who spent last summer on the finger lakes and planned to winter on the hard. However, he also planned to get out and is unsure of his fate this year.

#30 ·
Eryka,

Are you really going to leave the land of palm trees, turquoise waters, wonderful breezes and fantastic snorkeling to return to Annapolis? If everything goes as planned, I hope to voyage south to Marathon Key for the 2012/13 winter, and I can assure you that I'll have a difficult time leaving to return to the Chesapeake's upper reaches.

Gary :cool:

#32 ·
Gary - we're having a wonderful time here, but the sailing/gunkholing in the Chesapeake is infinitely better. Plus, there's this thing about hurricanes ... having weathered two aboard, I have no wish for a third. Being outside the "box" makes our insurance company happier, too.

We're still wrapping our minds around the fact that the oncologist is giving us a longer leash, which will increase our cruising area. Originally there were appts, scans, and tests every 3 months; then every 6 months. Now they only need to see Dan once a year, so many more things are possible for us.

#33 ·
Well, I finished reading Nick O'Kelly's book "Get Her On Board" in two sittings. This should be required reading for all married men young and old. Sometimes( After 25 years ) we tend to take the other half for granted when we plan something like a cruising lifestyle. She wants to go, but not for ever. Nor do I. We are looking to go for a year or two then return to living on "dirt" sometime later. Works for me. Bob

Reactions: momclarissa
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.