Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003

rads is on a distinguished road
Martha''''s vineyard

I am beginning to plan next summer''s cruise and plan to stop at Martha''s vineyard. Would appreciate any advice on harbors, marina''s etc.
Thanks
Mark
S/V Merlin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Martha''''s vineyard

If you don''t have one, obtain a copy of CRUISING GUIDE TO THE NEW ENGLAND COAST which has excellent details on MV. Places to visit, starting from Gay Head (West):
Menemsha - quaint fishing village, triple up on moorings in harbor, if available
Tashmoo Pond - pretty harbor, no facilities, 4" at entrance
Vinyard Haven - Lovely town, excellent facilities and protected harbor, good mooring availablity, see the beautiful people. Spend a night or two up Vineyard Lagoon, nobody else will be there.
OakBluffs, crowded honkytonk, mostly powerboats, visit by bus.
Edgartown- great harbor and prettiest town in US, good mooring availability, visit South Beach, best beach in NE. Leave for Nantucket from here.

I envy anyone who gets to make this tour for the first time. Email with any specific questions
Old 10-30-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Martha''''s vineyard

I would agree, generally, with the sailingfool''s comments. Menemsha is nice but the mooring availability is poor. Vineyard Haven has a large mooring field and is protected by a breakwater. The town is dry (no booze). Oak Bluffs has both docks and moorings provided by the town. A lot going on there bar-wise but, like the ''fool said, is quite honky-tonk. Edgartown is your best bet in my opinion; large mooring field, shore facilities, and a fair number of bars, restaurants, and shops in town. Not sure where your are sailing from but I would spend 1 night in Edgartown and sail out to Nantucket the next day. It about 25 miles or so and is well worth the trip. But that''s a whole other post...

Old 11-10-2003

PuffinIP31 is on a distinguished road
Martha''''s vineyard

I concur with the responses from sailingfool and hamian. This is a trip we make from Watch Hill every couple of years. Depending on where you''re coming from, you may want to stop at Cuttyhunk overnight. While most will head up Vineyard Sound through Quicks Hole, you can leave Cuttyhunk through Canapitsit Channel. It''s marked. Using the tide in Vineyard Sound, Vineyard Haven is only a couple of hours away. We prefer the quiet at Vineyard Haven. Take time to enjoy MV. We usually stay for at least a week. We have bikes on board and you can crisscross the Island for days. There are bike paths between Oak Bluffs and Edgertown. From Vineyard Haven, Oak Bluffs is about 20 minutes away and Edgartown another 15 minutes. Get into the Island to visit the farms, look at the houses and open lands, and maybe play some golf. Yes, there''s a public course, albeit expensive ($85 per round) and we carry our clubs onboard. If you have the time, Nantucket is about 6 hours from Vineyard Haven, shorter from Edgartown.
Old 11-11-2003

rads is on a distinguished road
Martha''''s vineyard

Thanks for the response. How long a trip is it from Watch Hill to Cuttyhunk and from Watch Hill to Vineyard Haven? If you wish e-mail me privately
Mark
S/V Merlin
Old 11-13-2003

PuffinIP31 is on a distinguished road
Martha''''s vineyard

How long from Watch Hill to Cuttyhunk ? It all depends on the wind (or lack of) and direction. At 5-6 knots, sailing or motor-sailing, you''re looking at 3 hours from Watch Hill to Point Judith, and another 3 hours to Cuttyhunk. If you''re coming from CT, you can also stop over at Block Island (3 hours from Watch Hill), and with a flood tide through Vineyard Sound, Block Island to Vineyard Haven is in the 9 hour range.
Old 11-17-2003

Martha''''s vineyard

While I like Block, its kinda out of the way for this trip. The key time factor in the Cuttyhunk to Vineyard Sound trip is catching the correct tide. Break out your Eldridge and you will find that sometimes the tide is running against you on the Vineyard Sound side and with you on the Buzzards Bay side. You can use of the "holes" (Quick''s, Robinson''s) to switch quite easily from one size to the other. Also, if you hug the coast (mind the depth, rocks, etc) the negative tidal effect should be reduced somewhat. The tide really rips in these areas so be sure to plan your trip accordingly. Good luck. Vineyard Haven is pleasant but I wud hump it the extra time and goto edgartown.
Old 11-21-2003

clayton is on a distinguished road
Martha''''s vineyard

One other IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind - Woods Hole. If you plan to transit thru this awful place pay attention to the direction of the current as it can hit 6 knots plus. And if you plan to go to MV thru WH from the Buzzards Bay side YOU MUST KEEP THE GREEN CANS TO STARBOARD !
Old 11-21-2003

Martha''''s vineyard

Good point about Wood''s Hole. I would not suggest trying to go against the tide and be sure to study the charts. That being said, one of the most beautiful harbors can be found there; Hadley''s Harbor. Its often crowded but you might get lucky. well worth the trip in my opinion. We saw what I think is a rare sight there which was deer swimming in the ocean across to bull island.