Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DRFerron
  • 1 Post By SVAuspicious
  • 1 Post By chef2sail

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012

stephinmaine is on a distinguished road
Moving sailboat from Annapolis to Maine

We will be sailing/motoring a 40-foot sailboat with a 8-10 draft, deisel engine in April 2012 from Annapolis to Maine. Anticipated crew is captain plus 3. We're looking for objective information about routes, draft/ bridge clearances etc. Considering C&D canal vs going out the Chesapeake under the Bay bridge and hanging a left. If we take the C&D Del river to Cape May then NOT attempt any further inland passages given spar height of 53 feet, but stay off the beach of NJ and make a choice at New york to o up east river, and use Long Island sound vs outside Montauk. Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Any insights on depth of C&D at low tide etc., etc. is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephinmaine View Post
Any insights on depth of C&D at low tide etc., etc. is greatly appreciated!
No issues for you as far as depth in the C&D. It's dredged to accommodate the big ships that go through. You'll want to stay in the channel, however, so you need to be especially alert to them.
stephinmaine likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 02-12-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I suggest, having made the trip North a large number of times your best deal is to go through the C&D and then offshore to clear Nantucket Shoals and then North along the shore to your port of call in Maine.
Maine Sail likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 02-12-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-12-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
You don't mention if time is a factor, or whether you just want to get there. Is this a new to you boat? If so, the trip down the Bay might be a good shakedown. Just some food for thought.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-12-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I agree with PB, if you are in a rush it makes sense to go outside but that assumes the boat is sorted out and ready for it. I would go through the C and D and Delware Bay and then outside to New York. With a really good forecast and the boat working well you can stay outside, but in general I would be inclined to go into NY harbor and then through Long Island Sound and Cape Cod Canal. A pleasant trip with many worthwhile places to visit on the way.
Old 02-12-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Having done this trip many times myself, I Would take SV Auspicious advice and head straight up the coast. My only qualm with doing that would be if you have not had enough time to shake your new vessel down. In that case I would do the coastal route and then the inside route through the East River and then the Cape Cod Canal.

Dave
SVAuspicious likes this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 02-12-2012

Gary M is on a distinguished road
The canal at Cape May has two bridges that I believe have 55 feet of clearance. Went through there a couple of years ago with a boat that had 53 feet to the top of the mast. Can do but pay attention to the tides.

If it is a new boat to you I would check it over carefully including going up the mast for an inspection. don't ask why I recommend this.

Have fun.

Gary
Old 02-12-2012

BostonSailor is on a distinguished road
Plenty of water up my way. Take the Cape Cod Canal straight up coast, which can also be faster. Numerous deep anchorages unless you're looking for a straight shot.
Old 02-13-2012

stephinmaine is on a distinguished road
Thanks, all we'll have a captain sailing it up, and time is not really a factor. This sould like great advice everyone! Fair winds, calm seas......
Old 04-30-2013

RW Sailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to RW Sailor
Re: Moving sailboat from Annapolis to Maine

Hello, justed happend to find this thread here and am looking into the same route end of June this year: Heading from Annapolis to Kennebunk Port in Maine...
Is there any input on how long your trips did take (those people who have done it already).
Would probably also go thorugh the Canals rather than sail outside, at least for the trip up, maybe stay outside on the trip back down...
Just trying to figure out a rough time estimate (And yes, I am aware that it makes a difference if you sail all day or anchor at night) I was just wondering what experiences other people made...
Thank you very much already!

Tags
annapolis , c&d canal , long island sound