Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012

opensailor is on a distinguished road
Ft. Lauderdale to NYC

Hi all,

New to the forum. Looking at a C&C 38 Landfall in FLA and am needing advice on sailing her home to Ontario. I've done the NYC to Ontario a few time but never the FL to NYC before. I am experienced and will have a well set-up vessel for the trip.

Need advice on best time to go, looking to start mid to end of March? Inexpensive places to store the boat for a month at a time along the way, best places to stop, routes, etc. Want to make this an epic trip and not just a race up the coast. Need to be in Ontario mid June with a one month break in the middle for work.

Thank you all in advance,

OS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Look at the pilot charts for wind and sea conditions. When I did the same trip I had only two weeks. Started in the ocean, went inside to avoid bad weather, back out at Charleston, etc. Also check Activecaptain for info on anchorages, marinas, hazards. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-18-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Weather permitting, I'd head out at Lauderdale and do an overnight hop up to Ft Pierce. Won't have to leave real early, as I usually make that run from Miami. Inside, it's a day to Lake Worth, and then a day to Ft Pierce. I stay at Harborgate in Ft Pierce when I take a slip instead of anchor.

From Ft Pierce you can do an overnight outside to St Augustine, or 3 days on the ICW. From there it's a days run up to Jacksonville or on past to Fernadina Beach (not sure if you can reach St Marys in a day). Then a couple of short days to St Simons (I stopped at the north end of Cumberland Island). I usually go outside from St Augustine to the North end of Hilton Head Island, but you could go to Savannah instead.

A day to Beaufort, SC, then 2 days to Charleston, as I recall. Two more days to Georgetown. Or go outside at Charleston for an overnight to Georgetown. Strong outflow when the tides running out.

Georgetown to Myrtle Beach is to me, the prettiest part of the ICW. Though through Myrtle Beach is the ugliest. From Georgetown, you either push hard, or take short days. Or go outside. There's a marina to your right just before the bridge at Wrightsville Beach. Last time I was there they had a free 1 hour loaner car. I would go outside from Wrightsville Beach to Beaufort Inlet. If the weathers mild, you might want to spend a night in the Cape Lookout Bight. Inside, it's a two day trip to Beaufort/Morehead City. Lots of skinny water on the second day. If you stay at the Bight, take a short day and stop at Beaufort.

I'd stay inside up to the Chesapeake. Lots of open water for sailing, and lots of destinations. Days run up to Oriental, then it's pick and choose to head north or make some side trips. Dismal Swamps a prettier run over the Virginia Cut. If you take the Cut, you can make Newport in a day from Coinjock. From Newport, I'll let the folks on the Chessie add their input.

Almost forgot, while you're in Lauderdale pick up Skipper Bob's guides for the ICW, and if you have internet on the trip http://cruisersnet.net/ is a great ICW resource.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PBzeer; 02-18-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-18-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Open, if you're sailing that will mean offshore, so you're looking at a very careful survey and sea trial, probably a full re-rigging before you set off and assuming the sails are up to it and the wx window won't require storm sails unless those are present.

Given the wx, you might need to duck into the ICW which of course also means you could need a reliable motor for a long time.

The trip isn't a problem--but you'll need to make sure the boat is 100% before you take a 1200 mile trip with it. From stem to stern.

And of course, consider the usual safety precautions and outfitting: VHF, AIS, life raft, EPIRB, etc.
Old 02-29-2012

haw33904 is on a distinguished road
you certainly don't need ais for that trip.
Old 03-01-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
They don't "need" AIS, but most of what is routine these days wasn't needed or available 20-30 year ago.

AIS would be a goo didea for a coastwise trip because it can warn you of the coastwise traffic. For instance, the sea lanes converging on Ambrose Light outside of NYC are full of traffic that is infamous for not keeping watch or not seeing sailboats. Likewise, if they run up through LI Sound to avoid bad wx in the Atlantic, there are often accidents with tow strings. AIS can at least let you know those fellows are coming at you--so even if they don't see you, you can be aware of them, sooner and more precisely than keeping visual watch, way cheaper than radar.

An old Landfall should be very capable of making the trip with the same equipment you'd have had in the 1950's: A crew and sails and dink. Period. Still, at this time of year and with today's prices, it is worth considering more. Probably the most expensive and most inmportant afety consideration would be a full "Class C" rigging inspection, the rod rigging apparently fatigues with every load cycle (strain on, strain off) and if it is 30-odd years old, that's three times the point where NavTec says it needs a careful check.

So, opensailor? Did you buy the boat?
Old 03-03-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I did the trip in 2009 with limited electronics. Dephtsounder, VHF, EPIRB, handheld GPS. I did bring a liferaft and safety harnesses.