Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012

tomski is on a distinguished road
We're off!

Well my gaff cutter couldnt cut it...or more to the point she's a beautiful sail boat but simply too small (real length 24foot) and a bit of a pain for me as I'm 6'6 (she's only 5 foot headroom lol)..good news is that she was always a restoration and sell plan so no dramas there

But it seems I found the yacht that I always wanted..she's a Cumulant 31 (loa 31.5 feet and a traditional steel design by Van der Stadt and Van der Vlis)...she's got an older 18hp lister, a wind genny and some electronics and I'm buying the rest..one issue is that she's got a wooden mast and boom and whilst in decent condition not sure as to long term suitability...

So a few questions:

I have an aluminium mast from a 37 footer so thinking I could replace with that ..its slightly higher (and two spars rather than one) but broadly similar (spars in line etc)...would that be sufficient?

I also have the option of buying an aries wind vane from a 33 footer (tiller steered) so again hopefully that will be ok

Not sure about solar panels..I am thinking of one 80w panel..the yacht already has a wind gen..

Nav wise I intend to have 2 different hand held GPS systems (cheap ones to tell location etc), a boat gps, a laptop with built in gps receiver (one of those toughbooks) and backed up by charts and pilot books..thought about a plotter also but not sure if I can justify that against a good laptop setup...

I want to optimise power so lighting will be replaced with LEDs where ever possible to cut down on amperage..

Comms...not sure yet..was thinking about ssb transceiver...we'll defo have an ssb receiver and tie that to receive weather..but thought about a satellite phone for any comms (prices seem decent now) and a spot or a similar system..

Also found an autohelm st50 radar plus screen and cables for decent money so will be installing that...

We'll be insulating her and putting in a holding tank..her water tank is 140l and diesel is 90l so hopefully sufficient (we'll be taking some backups)

Plus will be installing safety net, life lines, more drains for the cockpit and make her as short hand setup as possible...

As to rest, found an autohelm radar (st 50), an aries wind vane, a towed watermaker...still looking for a solution to the cooking prob I have..its lpg and no probs but I'm trying to figure out a way to cook on diesel so that I dont have to have lpg onboard...

Also reading loads of blogs on what else we need..we're setting of in July this year at the latest and plan to hit Canaries around Nov/12....our cruising ground will be (after the Atlantic crossing) Central America, stay there for a year or so and then onto the Pacific.....

So if you have any suggestions please do suggest away on any improvements, things etc you have found useful on similar sized yachts or let me know what am I not thinking of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
This one?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs

If you want to replace the mast that other mast might work, but you're probably better to cut it to length as appropriate so you can use the same sails.. this will amount to a fair bit of work because the spreader width and alignment may not match, shroud attachment fittings may not be in the right place, etc etc.. It's a bit more complicated than it might seem at the outset.

Consulting a pro rigger will go a long way to making the end result a truly workable one.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-24-2012

So its same yacht class/model but not her....ours is not as nice but with a decent fitout
Old 02-27-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Unless the wooden sticks are in poor condition I would keep them. Mine are 44 years old and sound. Aluminum and steel in saltwater can damage the aluminum. Your steel hull is more reactive than stainless. If you do switch to an aluminum mast, be sure to protect it, prevent contact with steel.
Old 02-27-2012

Lostmt is on a distinguished road
A friends mast and boom are 50 years old made out of Douglas Fur. What they did was use automotive clear coat three years ago after trying everything they could think of for protection in this hot Texas sun. Well its been three years now and the mast and boom look like they are brand new. The clear coat has done the trick.
Old 02-27-2012

Hmm..well I was thinking that then someone told me a couple of horror stories about wooden masts hence I thought I should swap...it appears all in good condition, possibly the gooseneck needs an improvement as its very thin plate at the attachment...

We are going to cross a couple of oceans with it and thats the other reason why I thought aluminium would be a better suit

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.