Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by duchess of montrose View Post
i will have ssb to talk to herb for weather rotuing and a navtex
You now have to register with Herb by e-mail before you set out. Herb is taking more holidays this year also, so watch his web site for information about his schedule.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2012

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
You can get an International Certificate of Competence by passing the ICC test or you can just request one if you have passed a test approved by as equivalent. A Yachtmaster would definitely qualify but I'm not sure what else would.

You can contact any member by going to their member page and clicking on "send message". You can find anyone's member page by clicking on their name where they have posted or by going to Community, selecting Members List and then look them up alphabetically.

You might wait to see if anyone else responds first.

You can read here
International Certificate of Competence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OK, I just looked and ASA can issue one if you have passed ASA104
International Sailing Proficiency Certification for Chartering from ASA

Can't find any reference on CYA.

Gotta Go - Really - Good Luck
Old 02-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Based on your refit thread, you've done some fairly major work. I would never consider a passage to Bermuda without having made several shakedown cruises and their inevitable tweaks.

It says you just bought a storm sail, so you'll need to practice setting it. You said you have a 12 ft wide drouge from a fishing boat, but I can't picture what that means. Sounds like a sea anchor to me, not a drouge. Again, you should practice deployments and even more importantly, retrieval. Some have become so laborious to get back they've been cut away and then you are naked for the remainder of the trip.

I recall a supply of garden hose for chafe protection. For a quick short term fix, that's fine, but over the long haul, garden hose will do more damage.

Finally, your refit says you bought a survival suit rather than a liferaft, because you couldn't afford a raft. I'm afraid that's a very bad idea for an ocean crossing.

Hope you get your plan together, it is a great goal. Just do it right.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 02-26-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-26-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
If I were you I would want to be leaving Bermuda by mid May. So that pushes your US departure date back to Late April early May.

I would also plan to have capeability to motor for several days as light winds are commonplace on the passage from Bemuda to the Azores and onwards.

Here is a good site to help plan your European cruising clicky
Old 02-26-2012

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
ill keep that in mind to sign up for herbs list via email and check his schedule, and re a life raft, the cost of a life raft is prohibitively expensive for me, yes i could afford it but i think i used that money better doing the modifications im doing to make the boat stronger, im considering adding flotation to the hull as well i was thinking about doing watertight bulkheads like james baldwin but the way my hull is built it wouldnt work, there is a hose that runs from the chain locker to the bilge...i figured i should do everything possible to keep my boat afloat and keepng every possible strategy to save the boat onboard instead of having a liferaft because fiberglass boats are more hospitable than liferafts, and in that unfortanate situation where i could be unable to save the boat, i have the inflatable dhigy to at least cling to so search and rescue if they notice my epirb can see me, but in all honesty im more trying to not have to use the epirb because i dont have total faith in it u dont go into the ocean expecting help will come just as easy as it does when u call mayday in coastal waters right... in terms of timing, i will check passage weather but if i have to leave before june 1st im afraid i wont be able to do that i would have to wait till after hurricane season, because of when the boat will be launched and the distance i will have to cover in my shakedown cruise which is about the same length as the passage to bermuda. Im sure 1600km is a long enough shakedown no? oh and for the fishing drogue its apperantly 25ft in diameter, and the seller who apperantly manufactures it said its a drogue for heavy weater and as a drift anchor for offshore fishing vessels
Old 02-26-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Couple of thoughts ...
1. Don't know what your life schedule is like but your plan would have you rushing past some incredible cruising grounds. I would put the coast of Newfoundland up against any place in the world with respect to beauty, interest, wildlife, people. Also Bermuda is a wonderful spot to spend a couple of weeks - I would not want to just go there to get water and whatnot.
2. Your timing for the Atlantic crossing seems OK. If you left Bermuda by around June 20th with a clear forecast you could get far enough east to avoid a tropical storm that would not be there for 10+ days - assuming you have the clear forecast to start. There is no way to are going to get to Norway for this coming summer though. It is just too far. If you really wanted to be in Norway this summer it would make sense to go from St John's to Ireland directly, but you would need to do this trip pretty early in the season (back to Cornell) and it would be cold and somewhat stormy.
3. Your timing to get to Halifax by June 1st though does not make much sense though. It would be a very cold trip when you start in Lake Huron and really cold in the lower St Lawrence. Remember that on a really nice day ashore in the spring in the Great Lakes region it is frosty a few miles out since the water has not warmed up much at all. This is during the day. At night, and you will need to do overnight passages to get anywhere in a hurry, it will be dangerously cold. You mentioned something like 1600 km. If you managed 50 a day (stopping at night) then it is 80 days so you are not getting to Halifax by June 1 - and this is assuming no layovers for weather, repairs, just because you would like to rest and enjoy an interesting spot.

Not sure if you know this website, but it is handy to get a quick take on distances
Google Maps Distance Calculator

My overall take on your plan is that you need to think about taking it more slowly. The whole point of doing something like this is to enjoy yourself and not be constantly rushing *that is what much or regular life is*. And rushing to meet a really tight schedule can be unsafe. I think that your plans go beyond rushing and verge on impossible in the time you have.
tdw, mdi and Geoff54 like this.
Old 02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Couple of thoughts ...
1. Don't know what your life schedule is like but your plan would have you rushing past some incredible cruising grounds. I would put the coast of Newfoundland up against any place in the world with respect to beauty, interest, wildlife, people. Also Bermuda is a wonderful spot to spend a couple of weeks - I would not want to just go there to get water and whatnot.
2. Your timing for the Atlantic crossing seems OK. If you left Bermuda by around June 20th with a clear forecast you could get far enough east to avoid a tropical storm that would not be there for 10+ days - assuming you have the clear forecast to start. There is no way to are going to get to Norway for this coming summer though. It is just too far. If you really wanted to be in Norway this summer it would make sense to go from St John's to Ireland directly, but you would need to do this trip pretty early in the season (back to Cornell) and it would be cold and somewhat stormy.
3. Your timing to get to Halifax by June 1st though does not make much sense though. It would be a very cold trip when you start in Lake Huron and really cold in the lower St Lawrence. Remember that on a really nice day ashore in the spring in the Great Lakes region it is frosty a few miles out since the water has not warmed up much at all. This is during the day. At night, and you will need to do overnight passages to get anywhere in a hurry, it will be dangerously cold. You mentioned something like 1600 km. If you managed 50 a day (stopping at night) then it is 80 days so you are not getting to Halifax by June 1 - and this is assuming no layovers for weather, repairs, just because you would like to rest and enjoy an interesting spot.

Not sure if you know this website, but it is handy to get a quick take on distances
Google Maps Distance Calculator

My overall take on your plan is that you need to think about taking it more slowly. The whole point of doing something like this is to enjoy yourself and not be constantly rushing *that is what much or regular life is*. And rushing to meet a really tight schedule can be unsafe. I think that your plans go beyond rushing and verge on impossible in the time you have.
I like that.
Spend the spring and early summer along the north east coast - plenty of time to get used to your boat and gear - then strike out directly for the Azores in August. Scoot over the the Canaries or the Med for the winter and sail North next spring. Northern Europe is beautiful in the spring. If you can afford the time that is. Maybe you'd better add World Cruising Destinations to your book list.
Old 02-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Bobbing around in a survival suit in 15 ft seas and 30 kt winds, which Mr. Murphy insists are the only conditions in which you will lose your boat, would be dangerous over a lengthy period and impossible to hang on to the dink.

Spray could be choking. Food, medical treatment, fresh water, all out if the question. On an ocean crossing, you could wait a long time. Bermuda does not have a Coast Guard and you will be out of range of US and CAN in the first couple of days.

Is a recertified used liferaft out of range?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 02-26-2012

$295 lift raft

Let me put this out there for for comment.

I wouldn't set off without a raft that had been checked out BUT here a raft for $295. Made in 2005 but certification expired in 2007. It's probably o.k. - I've seen an ancient raft inflate just fine. If the alternative is to go without, I'd consider checking the weight of the CO2 canisters and go sailing. Better than a survival suit.

Thoughts???

http://www.usedinflatables.com/UsedGallery/AD388-5.pdf
Old 02-26-2012

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
to killarney sailor i think you may be right i was hoping to avod the heavy weather and kind of make the trip into smaller modules so if im sick of the ocean when i get to bermuda i have a safe haven to stay in, but i guess your right i was guestimating 1600km if i go thru the trent i could shorten it quite a bit... i guess im so used to my desk job and deadlines i forgot how to take it easy, just looking for guidlines though u think its safer aka less chance of huge storms if i go the northern route instead of the milk run bermuda,azores, english channel north/norwegian sea. actually rereading it it actually i think makes sense to cruise newfoundland for the early summer and head to azores in end of july beggining of august and then maybe spend the winter in the med cruising italy, croatia and greece and then hop up to norway and sweden in the next sprinfg thanks for the plan guys but does that give me a good weather window for azores i wouldnt be getting any fall gales or in the path of any hurricanes? and 300 dollar liferaft give me i meant the 6000 dollar ones ive been seeing

Tags
bermuda , crossing , europe , transatlantic