SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Using "Virtual PC" software on a Macintosh? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/8453-using-%22virtual-pc%22-software-macintosh.html)

4748 11-11-2003 12:53 PM

Using "Virtual PC" software on a Macintosh?

Has anyone tried usin the PC (Windows) emulator (now sold by Microsoft) to run the sailing software that is only available for windows based computers?

We are especially interested in whether email can be run through a Pactor (sp?) modem with the Virtual PC application.

Thank you.

JeffC_ 11-15-2003 09:34 AM

I know of a couple of Mac users who are very satisfied in general running Virtual PC. If I had specific questions, I''d contact an Apple Store; the techs are very knowledeable.
Jeff
(another Machead)

Nereus32 11-16-2003 10:01 AM

I have used VPC, but never for Nav Software. I works well, although slow.

Try checking out NavimaQ nav software for the Mac at http://www.quintessencedesigns.com/

If it works for you, you can avoid the whole PC thing on the Mac and have better performance.

garygroves 12-01-2003 03:05 PM

Navimaq is a good navigation planning program but only works in the old OS9 operating system. Quintessence Design currently has no plans to update to OSX. They say on their web site that they no longer have the time to do the upgrade, but will continue to maintain the software.

I am using the microsoft version of MaxSea running on a G3 iBook 700 mhz, under VPC 6.1.1 - now owned by MS. It works and works very well. All features are available. It is slow, but, only when you are setting up your course (entering waypoints, etc). During on water navigation, the boat moves slower that the computer, so who cares - it works.

I will be getting a new powerbook when they upgrade them to the much faster G5 processor, AND microsoft updates VPC to work with a G5.

It may be slower than an intel machine running windows, but the other advantages of a Mac far outweigh this point that I''m willing to put up with it. I just hope we can find more people to work on programs for the Mac.

WHOOSH 12-02-2003 11:09 AM

4748:

We started out using a G3 with Virtual PC and did indeed use Airmail and the Winlink system for almost a year that way. Airmail (and Sailmail) are relatively undemanding programs and are not impeded by the emulation software. The catch is a special cable to connect to the Mac from the TNC; Jim Corenman has notes on that in one of his help files, as I recall.

We ended up moving to PCs. You may be like us and only have a few applications in mind when you start out...but that seems to change over time. And sadly, there is far less of (nautical) value available for the Mac. Moreover, if you begin assembling a pack of friends while sailing, you will all find custom applications, solutions to common problems, a tide program or utility that sounds wonderful...but which you can''t use.

We were using our first Apple in 1984; we had to accept PCs at work but never thought we''d leave the Mac family on our own buck. Truth be told, PCs are far easier (and more Mac like) than they used to be, and my wife (THE Mac fan in the family) no longer notices much of a difference. Just food for thought...

Jack

Irwin32 12-10-2003 12:35 PM

I am a little slow on computers. I have a Mac powerbook G4 and have assumed that running nav software on OSX was a no go. this discussion makes me wonder. Is there something I can do to run nav software on my mac w/my gps?

Nereus32 12-11-2003 07:16 AM

You can use NavmaQ under OS 9. Check them out at www.quintessencsedesigns.com. Or you can purchase Virtual PC, turn your mac temporarily into a Windows machine, and run the program of your choice - at least in theory. Almost the best of both worlds. Good luck.

Nereus32 12-11-2003 07:17 AM

You can use NavmaQ under OS 9. Check them out at www.quintessencsedesigns.com. Or you can purchase Virtual PC, turn your mac temporarily into a Windows machine, and run the program of your choice - at least in theory. Almost the best of both worlds. Good luck.

Nereus32 12-11-2003 07:17 AM

fondhope 01-02-2004 04:41 PM

AHOY WHOOSH ARE YOU BY CHANCE A NOR''SEA 27? I RECALL HER CALLING IN MORRO BAY HAILING I BELIEVE FROM SANTA CRUISE. I SAIL FOND HOPE OUT OF MB. MY QUESTION IS I CAN NOT SEEM TO LOCATE CABLE INFO . CAN YOU HELP. I HAVE A G3 POWER BOOK AND CAN RUN VISUAL NAV OK BUT NO DICE WITH AIRMAIL. I DID EMAIL JIM AND HE SAID PEOLE HAVE DONE BUT NO REFERRAL OR MENTION OF CABLE