Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Re: Fuel tank size for San Diego based Coastal

The stop north and refuel thing is a good idea. We have ours in San Pedro, and I can tell you where a fuel dock is (Jankovich) that you can buy at commercial rates ($3.70 a gallon a week ago). With prices here in southern Cal. being around $4.50 a gallon for diesel, that can save you a bit.

From that point to Catalina Island you're looking at just over 24 NM. We've sailed it several times and know it well.

If you plan on trips like this, you may want to error on the side of the largest tank you can. We have 60 gallons aboard, and with the way prices are going up, fuel is almost becoming an investment!

Also note that diesel is more expensive on the island.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Thanks, MDI. Very interested to hear about your jerry can solution.
I like to use a 12 gal Day Tank, I carry 20 gals in 4 cans and put two in each ama in a secured location just below the entry hatch to each ama. They are not on deck per se, when I am alone I store at least one can aft of my center cockpit in the head of the aft state room.

Old 03-16-2012

Leander is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all the tips, everyone. Will sign off for now.

Leander
Old 03-23-2012

Those are all great comments.

To give followup: I ended up buying the 19 gallon tank from Moeller Marine-old style, no fancy double lining. I'm very happy with what I received. It comes with a sender, a diesel return line, and a big inspection port. I think it will be great for what I need, and I'm happy to have plastic rather than metal.

Having seen the clean inside of the prior 8 year old, almost certainly completely neglected old tank, I have a feeling Southern California boaters are treated pretty gently by the environmnent and maybe we can slide by on a few of these rules.

Leander
Old 03-23-2012

Rozz is on a distinguished road

sounds like u want to do the same as i do, im out all the time and have to keep stabilizer in mine since i never motor. maybe ive been lucky... 20gal has lasted me many trips and over a year now lol i do have a 6gal can i rotate from truck to boat when i do longer trips... just ease of mind mostly

i think you will be fine
note i am rarely in a hurry and dont mind the 1 knot crawl...
1967 Bristol 29 #35
Old 03-23-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I'm going to burn my 7 gal tank this weekend going to a race 20 or so miles ea way and 3-4 hrs motoring down he sound, thru the locks onto Lk Washington. Should clean off some of the slime on the bottom.

I probably fill 4-6 times a season depending upon where I go.

I like the look of the tanks. May have to see if one of the 12gal tanks will fit. What was the approx cost if I can be so bold.

Marty
Old 03-23-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leander View Post
Those are all great comments.

To give followup: I ended up buying the 19 gallon tank from Moeller Marine-old style, no fancy double lining. I'm very happy with what I received. It comes with a sender, a diesel return line, and a big inspection port. I think it will be great for what I need, and I'm happy to have plastic rather than metal.

Having seen the clean inside of the prior 8 year old, almost certainly completely neglected old tank, I have a feeling Southern California boaters are treated pretty gently by the environmnent and maybe we can slide by on a few of these rules.

Leander

I think that is a great choice, down the road you can see if you want to keep if filled, you have the safety reserve which will relieve you of one extra concern, and when the day comes that a fellow sailor needs assistance you have the fuel to stay on station and giv'em a hand.

yep keeping additive in diesel is the way to protect it, your fuel cell and ultimately your filters.

Old 03-25-2012

Tied up on time right now, but will try to get back here in a few days with exact price, phots of the new tank on it's insides, etc (have taken, just need to upload). Quickies: They are still leaving plastic shavings inside the tank during manufacture, the pickup tube has a screen filter molded onto the end, and I still like what I got.

Leander
Old 03-25-2012

Further quick comment:

I was swayed by all the comments re: smaller tank and was set to go for that. However, I studied the original Bruce King design specs for my Ericson 35-2. He called for a 30 HP engine, and a 22 gallon tank. Since I have daydreams of sometime moving up to a Yanmar 29 HP, my final tank choice was a compromise between what makes sense now vs what migh make sense in future. (New engine seems years away).

Leander
Old 03-25-2012

Have posted photos of details of the Moeller tank I bought, on my blog at EY.o Information Exchange - Journey of a new owner, Ericson 35-2 - Blogs