SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

ICW private docks?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  chookiesadventure 
#1 ·
Greetings again all. The information from all of you through the various threads have been great! I've been reading everyday and can't seem to get enough. Onething I've seen mentioned several times but cannot find details on is that there are homeowners along the NC icw that rent dock space? If tis is true, who among you has done this and how did you find that setup? We are still in the planning stages of moving aboard, planning to make that move by Aug 2013. We'd need dock space for @35 ft with about a 6 foot draft. Thanks in advance for all your help on this, and thanks for all the information already provided!

C

#2 ·
Not really sure what it is you're looking for. A private dock rather than a marina? I think you'll have a hard time finding one that can handle 6' draft, other than the canal from the Nuese to Beaufort Inlet. Shore side depths tend to be shallow, or there's a marina there.

Marina prices in NC are very reasonable in most areas. Especially on a yearly basis.

#3 ·
Check craigslist. Don't know about NC, but down here in Tampa Bay the local craigslist has ads for private docks almost every day--typically going for 30% to 50% less than commercial marinas.

Since it appears that you intend to live aboard, I should probably also mention that almost every ad I see for private dock space out behind someone's home or condo says "no liveaboards allowed." You may be very hard-pressed to find a private dock where you'll be allowed to live aboard.

Good luck, though.

#4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'm not necessarily looking for a full time spot, more like a temporary weeklong stay during our journeys to and from the Chesapeake. Was looking for any experiences with this type of arrangement, things to look for, etc.

How is the sailing community in Tampa? My sister lives there and we are considering a winter stay there from time to time.
Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.