Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BubbleheadMd
  • 2 Post By Faster

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012

HelpNeededCorondo25 is on a distinguished road
Corondo 25 questions

Hello,

I recently moved onto a 1968 Corondo 25. I live in Alaska and at first it was an affordable housing option for me and my dog to avoid ridiculous prices to rent a place. I never knew i wanted to learn to sail until i moved on the boat. What a fun journey I have ahead of me.

There are some problems on the boat that I can't seem to trouble shoot. Keep in mind I am not the handiest person. However, I am eager to learn

If you have any interest in helping a novice with insight I would be very thankful. Perhaps there are resources you can direct me too if you cant help with specific questions.

Ok here is what I have going on.

-The control panel right under the companion way doesn't work...hence the cabin lights,radio, vhh don't work either. However the bilge works. Does this sound like a wiring or a battery problem? The fuses all look good.

-I used the head for about a month. It is a Jabsco manual.... It worked fine for that duration but then all of a sudden pressure built up. When I was looking at the hoses behind the head i noticed the top lever was parallel to the hose and the bottom lever (is this also called a seacock?) was perpendicular. Perhaps the waste went into a holding tank inadvertently? Any ideas to trouble shoot this? I now have both levers perpendicular until i gigure what to do. There is also a gray switch on the front of the head. The label has worn off so I dont know what it means if it is left or right. I was told by the previous owner that water needed to be added manually instead of it being pumped in.

-Any tips on helping keep the boat dry would be helpful. I dont cook a whole lot but the forward berth is always wet. I have a little heater that runs constantly. The temps have been in the 30's. Hopefully this problem will not be as bad during the 60 degree summers.

That is a start. Recommendations on the topic of learning basics of Sailing would be appreciated.

Thanks Much! Happy sailing....

The bilge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Corondo 25 questions

Your description of your problems is a little vague, but if the bilge pump is running, but nothing else works, then it's a wiring problem not a battery problem.

Electrical-

There should be a fuse block on the starboard side, inside the battery space behind the seatback. Check your fuses and the wiring leading to and from them.

The head-

If your Coronado has a holding tank, then it was installed later. These boats were originally set up to pump overboard. Trace the hoses. Is there a "Y" valve? If so, then you have a holding tank. If not, then pumping overboard is the only configuration you have.

To pump overboard, all valve handles should be in-line with the hose. If you have a pressure buildup and can't pump, then the lines are clogged. You need to SHUT the valves, and the hull seacock and take the lines apart and unclog them.

Yes, this is a disgusting job but it's part of liveaboard life. Buy and wear some rubber gloves and have a bucket handy. The toilet snake from a hardware store might help.

If you ARE pumping overboard, then you'd better check into your local discharge laws. You may be doing something illegal, but being as you're in the "back beyond" of Alaska, you may be perfectly legal.

Water intrusion:

Water could be leaking from a faulty seal around the forepeak hatch, the stanchion bases or the window seals. Check all of these. Look for stain trails running down the cabin liner.

If it's not raining, but the bow is always wet, it's probably condensation from cooking and propane use. Crack the forepeak hatch to let a little of the humidity out.

I owned a Coronado 25 for two years and sailed the hell out of it. They are tough little boats. The primary weaknesses are the hull/deck joint which can be improved by removing the rub rail and glassing them together, and tiller head attachment point, which is just a pinch collar that can slip and let the rudder fall off. This is easily fixed as well.

There is an active Yahoo forum for the Coronado 25. I recommend you check it out.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 03-16-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Bubble's covered it well.. one thought (given your beginner's status) with regard to your electrical issue.. the bilge pump is likely wired direct to the battery. The panel is probably fed from a "1-both-2" switch that may not be clearly visible. Hunt around for that and make sure this is not in the "off" position. It could even be in the cockpit locker. It may be as simple as that.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-16-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

Good luck! you just got the answers ,from the two best guys on here!......Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 03-18-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

As far as the plumbing goes, I think the above description is good. As far as the electrical system goes, it should not be too difficult as the system is quite simple. The biggest issue is going to likely be worn out/corroded connections and previous owners modifications. You will need a meter, nothing expensive, but I would suggest an inexpensive digital meter as it can help with other issues and contact cleaner. Start at the batteries, and follow the wires to the panel. It could be simple as cleaning connections. Every place there is a terminal, spray it down with contact cleaner, and scrub it till they are at least corrosion free, if not shiny. Check with the meter to make sure you get close to the same voltage as at the previous connection. Label things as you go along to make future work easier. Then trace all the circuits. You will likely need to replace most of the wiring on an old boat like yours.

What are you using for the heater circuit? I hope it is more than just an extension cord, as we would hate to lose a member here. Remember most boat fires are caused by electrical problems.
Old 03-18-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Frank Butler, the designer, is featured in the latest issue of Sail Mag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-18-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

I don't see anything in the regs that exempts anyone in Alaska, no matter how remote from dumping raw sewage overboard inside 3nm. Sounds like this has been going on continuously with this boat, at the slip/dock.

Coast Guard regulations require that the "Y"-valve must be secured in the closed position (by padlock, non-resealable tie, removal of handle or other physical barrier) when the boat is within three miles of shore. Boaters can be fined for non-compliance. Fines start at around $2,000.

Mobnets
1973 Chance 32/28 "Westwind"

Tags
corondo , jabsco

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.