cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Re: Living Aboard!

Why haven't you left yet?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2012

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road

My piece of advice would be to start putting as much $ in the bank as you can. You don't need a fortune to buy a boat and go cruising, but you will need something. And once you get down to that point where you're really close to leaving you'll start thinking to yourself, "I didn't need to go out to dinner all those times, or buy this or that....I would have much rather saved that money for cruising". Cause that's what I'm doing right now. Just sayin....
xymotic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Matthew, You might add to your postings some information about your general location. This might allow some to cite specific opportunities for gaining experience.
Old 04-01-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasethedream View Post
Good day to the sailing community and thank you for reading this!
Recently I have become fascinated with the life of living aboard. I am still very young and ignorant to the life of sailing and what it takes to become self sustainable in all the conditions that mother nature can throw our way. I would like to become more educated on the day to day of this lifestyle and be able to make the most of my traveling experience. As I said, I am still very young (20). Currently setting money aside until I can make my first sailboat purchase. My long term goal is to obtain a live-able sail boat and travel the coast (FL)-(CA). Though this is sure to be a few years down the road, knowledge can never come to soon. Again thank you for your time, know that anything you can share with me is appreciated more than you could imagine.

Much Gratitude,
Matthew McCarthy
I like this kid.

Matthew, you have gotten some great advice that demonstrates the two most common schools of thought in the cruising world- the "Go Small, Go Now" group and the "Build your Budget to Buy the Best Boat" bunch. One of the challenges with joining our merry band of non-conformists is that both approaches, or an approach somewhere in between, are correct. Whether you jump in and flail around or gently wade in until you are comfortable, the most important part is to get in the damn pool.

You seem pretty smart, smart enough to know you know what you don't know. Get some crew time- the more, the better. The more boats you sail on, the more you will know about what you want and what you don't want on your own boat. Put up an ad on the bulletin board of the local chandleries, marinas and sailing clubs, offering to crew, and offering your help to perform gruntwork in return for time aboard. Living aboard is idyllic about 75% of the time- the other 25% of the time it's sweaty, dirty, messy and frustrating, unless you hire others to do the sweaty, dirty, messy, frustrating ,work... and then it is just expensive and frustrating.
wingNwing likes this.

Old 04-02-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road

Just make it happen. My wife and I are in our late twenties and we wish we had done this earlier. We both quit our jobs in Atlanta two months ago, moved to St. Pete Florida, bought a boat (26 foot pearson) and moved on with our dog and cat. If the two of us can live on a 26 foot boat with a dog and cat, your 20 year old self could do it no problem.

We had ZERO sailing experience when we purchased the boat. ZERO! We take it out every chance we get and are loving the experience. If you go for it, good or bad, you will have memories that you never forget and you wont regret it. If you let the opportunity pass it will just be another "I remember when I almost.."

If I have any advice to give its buy the boat and live on it for a while at a marina with easy access to sailing opportunities. It will give you a chance to understand the boat before throwing yourself out to the mercy of mother nature. We chose downtown St. Pete and we are having an incredible time. Had we chose to live in some po dunk marina in a $hithole town the wife and I would have not be enjoying it as much.

Create a blog for family and friends to keep track and for your memories when you get old and forget. We have a blog for family and friends to follow and they really enjoy keeping up, If you are interested in reading about our journey its at thewildjasmine.com.

Good Luck to you!
Old 09-01-2012

Hawaiigirl is on a distinguished road

I totally agree...you are young...just DO IT....my husband's dream started when he was younger than you...he kept putting it on the back burner...now he is 53 and he says he wishes he would have just done it...we just moved into our boat...it is 26 feet...our son lives with us...he is 22 We have our dog and our pet squirrel...it has been 8 weeks now...I cannot say the adjustment for me was simple but I can say that I did it and that I am no JUST FINE The ocean is beautiful...the sea creatures are awesome...the sunset is vibrant...life is sooooooooooo nice....you will love it.
Old 09-02-2012

brisolle is on a distinguished road

Just do it. There is an old Italian proverb that roughly translates "the cousin of tomorrow is never". Don't wait till tomorrow when you are anchored down with students loans and minor children. Download "Sailing the Farm" and read it. Search or it here, it's in PDF format.
Old 09-02-2012

ISLANDCHUNK is on a distinguished road

Well said, Joethecobler. I have dreamed about it got the job, the wife, the mortage......regretted it. Finally said "What the hell, the time will never be right, so I took the plunge about 8 months ago....i really really wish I would]ve went when I was 20 not 55. Well Said!!
Old 09-02-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I've heard it said that "I wish we would have started cruising forty years ago!" We sailed away in our twenties forty years ago and, yes,- it was a good choice!

Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 09-03-2012

hank9752 is on a distinguished road

I need some recommendations please for marinas which allow liveaboards in North Carolina. At the end of this month 3 of us will be sailing a 35' Chris Craft from Massachusettes to North Carolina where I hope/plan to live aboard this yacht having just bought it. Looking for a low key marina, reasonably priced, nothing fancy or snooty. Thanks in advance. Hank