Good day to the sailing community and thank you for reading this!
Recently I have become fascinated with the life of living aboard. I am still very young and ignorant to the life of sailing and what it takes to become self sustainable in all the conditions that mother nature can throw our way. I would like to become more educated on the day to day of this lifestyle and be able to make the most of my traveling experience. As I said, I am still very young (20). Currently setting money aside until I can make my first sailboat purchase. My long term goal is to obtain a live-able sail boat and travel the coast (FL)-(CA). Though this is sure to be a few years down the road, knowledge can never come to soon. Again thank you for your time, know that anything you can share with me is appreciated more than you could imagine.
I like this kid.
Matthew, you have gotten some great advice that demonstrates the two most common schools of thought in the cruising world- the "Go Small, Go Now" group and the "Build your Budget to Buy the Best Boat" bunch. One of the challenges with joining our merry band of non-conformists is that both approaches, or an approach somewhere in between, are correct. Whether you jump in and flail around or gently wade in until you are comfortable, the most important part is to get in the damn pool.
You seem pretty smart, smart enough to know you know what you don't know. Get some crew time- the more, the better. The more boats you sail on, the more you will know about what you want and what you don't want on your own boat. Put up an ad on the bulletin board of the local chandleries, marinas and sailing clubs, offering to crew, and offering your help to perform gruntwork in return for time aboard. Living aboard is idyllic about 75% of the time- the other 25% of the time it's sweaty, dirty, messy and frustrating, unless you hire others to do the sweaty, dirty, messy, frustrating ,work... and then it is just expensive and frustrating.