SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Living Aboard! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/85151-living-aboard.html)

Chasethedream 03-18-2012 11:02 PM

Living Aboard!

Good day to the sailing community and thank you for reading this!
Recently I have become fascinated with the life of living aboard. I am still very young and ignorant to the life of sailing and what it takes to become self sustainable in all the conditions that mother nature can throw our way. I would like to become more educated on the day to day of this lifestyle and be able to make the most of my traveling experience. As I said, I am still very young (20). Currently setting money aside until I can make my first sailboat purchase. My long term goal is to obtain a live-able sail boat and travel the coast (FL)-(CA). Though this is sure to be a few years down the road, knowledge can never come to soon. Again thank you for your time, know that anything you can share with me is appreciated more than you could imagine.

Much Gratitude,
Matthew McCarthy

PBzeer 03-18-2012 11:19 PM

Re: Living Aboard!

A good place to start is the Blog List at the bottom of my post.

Chasethedream 03-19-2012 12:40 AM

When I get my first ten post I will be sure to check it out!
Thank you!!

ppiccolo1 03-19-2012 03:46 AM

chase,
you're off to a good start with that attitude :) Try to get crewing on a boat locally, work hard, and sock it away. Good things will happen!

tomperanteau 03-19-2012 07:21 PM

Uh oh. Another one bitten by the bug. He's hooked for life.

Chasethedream 03-19-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppiccolo1 (Post 847517)
chase,
you're off to a good start with that attitude :) Try to get crewing on a boat locally, work hard, and sock it away. Good things will happen!

Would you recommend checking marinas? I know there may be a few "crews" locally. Though I live in a town more oriented to retired leisure boats I'm sure someone must be willing to take on help. Anywhere else you could recommend for seeking a crew ? Thanks again!

Capt Len 03-19-2012 09:56 PM

Commercial charter vessels need maintenance once in a while.I know mine does and often take on crew . Trade work for sailing experience sort of thing If it's fun we do it.

wingNwing 03-20-2012 09:01 AM

Chasethedream, you might consider posting in the "crew wanted" thread on this board for opportunities in your local area.

and, PBzeer, I'm honored to discover I'm #1 on your blog list!!! Wow!! (if it was just an accident of chronology, PLEEEEASE don't burst my bubble, okay? :D)

cktalons 03-22-2012 01:22 PM

Matthew,
The best time to get started on the dream is now, when you're young, and free of attachments, so congrats!. Best thing you can do is, as has been recommended, crew a boat and learn the ins and outs of sailing, but you can also delve deeper into your dream of living aboard by searching for boats, figuring out what you want, and visualizing yourself in your dream. Yachtworld.com is a great place to waste/spend time searching for your new girl. If you're going to sail the ocean eventually, you might want to look at full-keeled boats over fin-keeled boats. I'm not sure how tall you are, but you'll want a boat that accommodates your height.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at boats is your stuff: you have more than you think. Some people can live aboard comfortably in smaller boat (26 ft), but most single liveaboards are in the 30-36 footer range. In addition to all the spare parts and tools you must keep aboard for your safety, you'll also need all of your cooking supplies: food, spices, pots and pans; your compliment of sails (you can't exactly put those in space bags); clothes (start paring down now if you have a full closet); and forms of entertainment. wingNwing will back me up when I say if you like to read books, get used to eReading. Nothing takes up more space then a slew of books. If you're a film buff, you might want to look into renting, or online movie services. Every inch of space you have becomes precious.

You'll want your boating life to feel like land-living but on the water. By that I mean you don't want to have the camping feel, as that'll get old fast. Most people who have showers aboard their boats rarely use them, as condensation is a problem, even when the water is turned off, but you may still want a boat with a showering option (boats 30 feet plus will most likely have this option). If you can afford a boat with a refrigeration system (and the power supply to "handle" it) go for it. Nothing gets old faster than having to constantly haul ice into your boat to keep your food cold. I think you get the general idea. Look for a boat with some creature comforts and you'll be less likely to long for land living.

Keep us updated with your progress!

joethecobbler 03-31-2012 10:44 AM

Here is a little different approach;
your 20 , why are you waiting for later ? go now.
Why wait till you "know it all" or have learned it all ? that is half the fun. if you wait till then you'll be too old and bored w/ it. go now.
What Boat ? - you already know what boat, a sailboat ! find one YOU like , if you find you don't like it, find someone who does and find another for yourself. go now.
How Much ? - easy question, EVERYTHING YOU HAVE . you can even find them for free ! I just passed on a 23' coranado in central e.coast florida . THe gentleman was giving it away . I even went to look at it. It had everything aboard except a flare gun and an outboard - FREE . go now.( as I already have a couple boats I passed on another)
Experience ? well , if you go now you'll be getting plenty. go now.
Look on craigslist for boats all price ranges. go now.
Your not marrying the boat if you don't like it get another. go now.
Don't wait till you have "enough" money, you'll never have enough , you've got enough already. go now.

OR,
Don't , keep opining away your days and years and dreaming along with all the other "dock Dogs" and "internet masters of oceans", grow old, get tied down w/ life, become ill, start a family, take out more loans,buy a house w/ a 30yr. commitment and find that career for a good 25-30 yr. sentence, and just let that dream languish and never actually leave the shore.
Keep waiting till all the stars align and things are just so.
I'll update you as I'm living it and you can read about it in my book,blog,etc . and ask yourself why your not !
Or, you could just go now.
just a thought.
(go now, what's the problem?))