Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012

joelsanda is on a distinguished road
How to try before buy

I'm about three years away from buying The Boat and rediscovering a new set of problems ;-). In the meantime I took the ASA 101 and 103 courses and am starting my third year of inland water sailing. I've been on the Pacific and Atlantic in small boats, but not a significant amount of time on them in a sailboat.

I'd like to try living aboard for about a week and am wondering if there are 'private' options that will run less than the cost of a full-blown chartering option, where I'm more a guest than a sailor participating in the trip (watches, cooking, cleaning, maintenance and so on). Because I live in Colorado there aren't many options for me to hit the pavement and find this kind of opportunity.

What's the best way to finding a way to spend 7 - 10 days on a boat with the owner or someone experienced with cruising? An ideal situation would be a trip from Miami to Bimi and the Grand Bahama area to sail, snorkel and dive. Is this asking too much of someone's time and their boat? I'm not looking for something cheaper than a chartered cruise - it's the more complete experience of spending time aboard with someone who has/does live aboard and maybe cruised.

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: How to try before buy

Get a few buddies together and bareboat charter. You may have to do a morning to checkout with the charter company before they will let you take their boat. However, they really want your money, so you would have to be really bad for them to say no. I believe the Moorings recognizes the ASA classes as experience. ASA104 is a given that your good to go. You could just go take that somewhere. You will live aboard, and while there is an instructor with you, all crew duties are the student's responsibility. You just have someone to ask questions and who will test you.

I think the BVI is one of the best places to learn to cruise. Pretty simple waters to navigate, but you get many experiences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-09-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Maybe charter a pontoon boat on Lake Powell in the off season, tell them you can come out on short notice if they give you a break on a cancellation or something?

Or one of the similar rentals in the TVA areas. I'd expect either to be less than a sailboat charter in a popular location.

Or of course, just do the charter. Sailors are reluctant to rent out their boats, it means insurance problems and other issues unless you find someone just looking to do a quiet cash deal, and you're both willing to turn a blind eye on that.
Old 04-09-2012

MarioG is on a distinguished road

You should look for someone that does deliveries and offer to be crew. I had the oppertunity to deliver a boat to the BVI's with the owner of the marina I kept my last last boat.
Old 04-10-2012

sck5 is on a distinguished road

you can join Offshore Passage Opportunities

Offshore Passage Opportunities: Halesite, New York
Old 04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sailors are reluctant to rent out their boats, it means insurance problems and other issues unless you find someone just looking to do a quiet cash deal, and you're both willing to turn a blind eye on that.
That's exactly what I'm looking for - with the owner or someone he/she trusts along. It's that person and their boat, and I'm not adverse to the quiet cash deal and would expect that. The chartering opportunities I've looked at seem outrageously expensive, but I'm seeing what's advertised online as I live in the Rocky Mountains and can't wander down to a marina. They had nice menus but I can get that at home :-)
Old 04-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
you can join Offshore Passage Opportunities

Offshore Passage Opportunities: Halesite, New York
Thanks - checking that out now.