Hanging "dress clothes", suits and such, in the boat - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Hanging "dress clothes", suits and such, in the boat

If you look at my Avatar, that's the outfit I wear to work, or something similar. Tonight I'll be entertaining about 125 people, mostly seniors who love to dance, they'll be decked out in their finest clothes. For some of these events I have to wear a tuxedo, but for most I do not.

Now, when I sail south this winter (health permitting) to the Florida Keys, my performance attire will change a bit. Hopefully, a short-sleeved Hawaiian shirt, dress slacks and boat shoes will work out in the Tiki Bars at the marinas. For the private parties, though, it's the same outfits I wear up north.

Still trying to find a 12-volt steam iron, but so far, Google hasn't turned up anything other than high-wattage and high-voltage irons. I have one of them at home. Shore power may be the only viable solution for ironing the duds.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Dumb question, but have you considered doing it the old-fashioned way and just heating the iron on your stove?
Think back to the 30's, when an "iron" was simply that- a flat, cast-iron with a handle on it.

Edit- Sorry Gary, I see where this has already been addressed.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Last edited by BubbleheadMd; 04-19-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
If you look at my Avatar, that's the outfit I wear to work, or something similar. Tonight I'll be entertaining about 125 people, mostly seniors who love to dance, they'll be decked out in their finest clothes. For some of these events I have to wear a tuxedo, but for most I do not.

Now, when I sail south this winter (health permitting) to the Florida Keys, my performance attire will change a bit. Hopefully, a short-sleeved Hawaiian shirt, dress slacks and boat shoes will work out in the Tiki Bars at the marinas. For the private parties, though, it's the same outfits I wear up north.

Still trying to find a 12-volt steam iron, but so far, Google hasn't turned up anything other than high-wattage and high-voltage irons. I have one of them at home. Shore power may be the only viable solution for ironing the duds.

Cheers,

Gary
Gary, try some Downey Wrinkle Release or similar. It does work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-19-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I'll give it a try. My wife has some stashed in the laundry room. All I have to do is find it.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 04-19-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Maybe a golf shirt with a clip on bow tie would give you an office image that sez to all,'I am what I am' At least it solves the ironing issue Really hard to control iron temp with a propane burner, Needs a good woman's touch and a wood stove. Lots of water sprinkled on shirt and iron to dry will help prevent those unsightly scorch marks.
Old 04-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

How about a Butane powered iron:

USA Made*|*Home*|*Butane Clothes Iron - Lehmans.com

Or an antique Coleman gasoline powered iron. Not seriously. There must be a good reason no one makes these any more.

Jetexas likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 04-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2012

gus_452000 is on a distinguished road

Its a bit of a nightmare, I agree, but I use an electric iron, and it works, but had a female friend, who went with us sailing for 5 weeks last year, all in the Med, and told her it was going to be hot, not too many clothes, not too many bags etc! The boat was like a sailing clothes store, needles to say, I never asked her to come onboard again.
I keep 3 suits with me now, and 6 shirts, and when I can they dont ever get worn, but hanging space no matter how big or small the craft is, is always going to be a problem.
My daughter is now just turned 15 and I noticed that some or her things are now in my locker, because in her cabin she's run out of room, I miss the days when she was happy to be in a T shirt and pair of shorts lol.
Old 04-20-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road

Not on board, but I think I once used a pot of boiling water to iron a shirt. The pot won't be over 212. It wasn't easy, maybe with practice. Or try steaming it, maybe with a teapot and a hose. Or it's too late and I've been drinking.
Silvio likes this.
Old 04-23-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I lived aboard with a suit and tie job for about three years. I rotated through about 12 suits. Each hung individually in a suit bag I got in (I think) 3-packs from WalMart that were quite inexpensive. The bags protected the suits from dust and chafe.

Shirts I had laundered and folded. That worked great.

Ties took some work. Ultimately I folded them in half and then in half again before rolling them up. They went in one of two "tie drawers." When I moved aboard I downsized from 400 ties to about 80. *grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterchech View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't even think about the smell, that could be an issue...

What if I lined the hanging lockers with Spanish Cedar? I wonder if that would help at all...
Tackle smells at the source. Scrub the bilge. Make sure you don't have any fuel leaks. Follow Peggie Hall's guidance on checking sanitary hoses for saturation and replace them early. There isn't anything wrong with cedar, but masking or otherwise covering up smells is not nearly as good as avoiding them in the first place.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-08-2012
I'm Jon, I'm a sailaholic

BayWindRider is on a distinguished road

I would fold most of the shirts and use a shark steamer to take out the wrinkles. Perfect.

Welcome to Shark® | Official Site

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.