Hanging "dress clothes", suits and such, in the boat - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Hanging "dress clothes", suits and such, in the boat

The shark looks like it requires a fair amount of 110-volt AC power to operate it. I couldn't find the power consumption information, but in order to generate that much steam and heat I'm guessing the power consumption would far exceed my 300-watt inverter.

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2012

Cap'n Al is on a distinguished road

Pants are easy...sleep on them (not in them). ie set up your creases and lay them under your bed matress overnight with a sheet of plastic over the top to keep them from getting damp.

Al
Old 07-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Wrong and wrong.

Many do not save a lot of money by living aboard although I do because I eliminated a car and a mortgage. Your expenses are generally the same. The issue is not who irons your clothes but where to store them. Storing a freshly ironed shirt on a boat is a bigger challenge. Taking out a clean shirt from cramped storage will require ironing whether or not someone else already did it.

Paying someone to do something I can easily do myself is what I would consider ludicrous.
Missed this back then .....

If two people cannot live on board cheaper than on land then there is something very wrong indeed. In our situation if we rent an apartment we'd be paying around $1000 a week , mortgage payments on the same thing would be more than that. Marina berth is around $1000 a month and the boat carries no debt. My attitude is simple ... if you cannot afford to pay for the boat then it is too expensive though I guess if you can live aboard and work at the same time then loan to buy boat is not out of the question. Nonetheless I find it hard to come up with a boat that would cost me more than an apartment or house.

Ironing work clothes (presuming suits and ties here) on board is for me dumber than dumb and a pain in the arse beyond my pain barrier.

(To be clear, we do not live on board and our boat is not on a marina. If we chose however to work while living on board then I would want to be in a pen, not on a swing mooring. Swing mooring might be fine for weekenders and non working liveaboards not methinks for permanent liveaboard. )

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-04-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Marina berth is around $1000 a month
WOW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 07-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
WOW
How much in your neck of the woods ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-04-2012
Hmmm

Quote:
How much in your neck of the woods ?
Well in all fairness, I suppose Vancouver would be a little better comparison to Sydney. But in any case, for 37' LOA I pay roughly $130/month including 20amp shore power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 07-04-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgewater View Post
I pay roughly $130/month including 20amp shore power.
WOW
DavidB.UK likes this.

Old 07-04-2012
Hmmm

Quite the extremes I'm sure you would agree. But then again, this is a very small city and a few days sail from anything large. On the other hand, I am right downtown off the main street.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 07-05-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ironing work clothes (presuming suits and ties here) on board is for me dumber than dumb and a pain in the arse beyond my pain barrier.
Then my wife and I are "dumber than dumb" along with about 20 others living in our marina who do the same. I would love to have you standing in front of me and my wife and say this to our faces. Luckily I am strong enough to restrain her. I was specifically talking about shirts. You may want to re-read my post.

Living aboard is a challenge to do things that we thought easy to do on shore. If you find ironing such a challenge you might be better off staying on dry land.

Quote:

If two people cannot live on board cheaper than on land then there is something very wrong indeed. In our situation if we rent an apartment we'd be paying around $1000 a week , mortgage payments on the same thing would be more than that. Marina berth is around $1000 a month and the boat carries no debt. My attitude is simple ... if you cannot afford to pay for the boat then it is too expensive though I guess if you can live aboard and work at the same time then loan to buy boat is not out of the question. Nonetheless I find it hard to come up with a boat that would cost me more than an apartment or house.
I agree with you here but not everything gets cheaper when moving aboard. Our boat insurance is much more than homeowners. Our slip rates are less than a nice apartment in this area. Food is equal, medical/dental is equal. We save on transportation because we both work only blocks from the marina so that does not really count. Maintenance on the boat is more than what we paid for our 2,200 sq ft. house. Heating is cheaper once you remove the amount we paid for the heater.

BTW, Ironing our own clothes is part of this savings equation.

Living debt free and within our means is how we make it work. But this is so foreign to so many.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 07-05-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-05-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Then my wife and I are "dumber than dumb" along with about 20 others living in our marina who do the same. I would love to have you standing in front of me and my wife and say this to our faces. Luckily I am strong enough to restrain her. I was specifically talking about shirts. You may want to re-read my post.
Living aboard is a challenge to do things that we thought easy to do on shore. If you find ironing such a challenge you might be better off staying on dry land.
Nah ... not worth fisticuffs over a creased shirt. I didn't say you or your good lady wife were dumber than dumb, I said I considered ironing on board to be dumber than dumb. OK, so maybe that was a tadge strong and I apologise for any offence but having ironed on board a boat I have no desire to ever do it again.

Were I to be living on board and not working I'd not be on a marina. In that case what laundry I needed to do I'd probably do myself at a local laundromat but if I was still working it would be for me at least a whole different ball game. I stand by my original post, what I would save by living on board I will spend at least part of to have my work clothes laundered. Like stuffing mushrooms, life is to short for some things.

As for finding ironing a challenge ... nope .... do it now on a daily basis but I have no intention whatsoever, on a regular basis, of ironing all my clothes on a saloon table or galley bench. Ain't gonna happen. Will carry a 12v iron for the odd emergency but I've found that out on the hook if I need an ironed shirt hanging the thing in the rigging for an hour or so takes pretty good care of the wrinkles.

Quote:
I agree with you here but not everything gets cheaper when moving aboard. Our boat insurance is much more than homeowners. Our slip rates are less than a nice apartment in this area. Food is equal, medical/dental is equal. We save on transportation because we both work only blocks from the marina so that does not really count. Maintenance on the boat is more than what we paid for our 2,200 sq ft. house. Heating is cheaper once you remove the amount we paid for the heater.
BTW, Ironing our own clothes is part of this savings equation.
Living debt free and within our means is how we make it work. But this is so foreign to so many.
In some respects we may well be in agreement. Yes insurance is more expensive but its one of the few things that in reality really is. I doubt very much indeed that slip fees + boat maintenance + lpg and diesel would get up to total of rent or house maintenance + property taxes + utilities. You have to be in front overall. It beggars belief for it to be otherwise.

Now as to my unsuitability for life on board ? Crikey ! I've considered a lot of the negatives .... big winds, big seas, tsunami, leaks, mould, damp, kraken, cramped living spaces, rowing to shore on a cold wet windy day, where to put the wide screen tv and the patio furniture not to mention sauna and spa but I've never actually considered ironing as a pressing reason to stay on shore. You've certainly put a wrinkle in my plans. The boat goes up for sale tomorrow. My stuff is just not right enough, I realise that now.

Sheesh.

Last edited by tdw; 07-05-2012 at 07:44 PM.