Hanging "dress clothes", suits and such, in the boat - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Re: Hanging "dress clothes", suits and such, in the boat

Talk about the 'blues' TDW. Get over the 7 years in a row loss and toughen up .

Iron your own shirts....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
Talk about the 'blues' TDW. Get over the 7 years in a row loss and toughen up . Iron your own shirts....
Having just discovered tethering this is my first post from the Womboat at anchor. Oh dear. What have I done.

Toughen up ... you mean HTFU surely but it was cruel of you to mention the blues arsehat. What's more you concussed poor old Robbie so the tigers were creamed by the effing Bulldogs last night. Oh woe.

Anywho I do iron my own shirts but for now here I sit in wrinkled spendour. eff its cold though.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-07-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Storage Locker onshore.
Leave the suits at the cleaners till u need them.
Old 07-07-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Having just discovered tethering this is my first post from the Womboat at anchor. Oh dear. What have I done.

Toughen up ... you mean HTFU surely but it was cruel of you to mention the blues arsehat. What's more you concussed poor old Robbie so the tigers were creamed by the effing Bulldogs last night. Oh woe.

Anywho I do iron my own shirts but for now here I sit in wrinkled spendour. eff its cold though.

OK, I was very harsh considering I dont get this housework thingo everyone nags about. I just work, sail, eat and sleep. [& watch only certain football matches]. I type quietly unless the boss hears me...

My humble apologies to an enlightened snag.

BUT, Come on, us Captains must start living what we state. Solidarity as well. Its a fair call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-09-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

To offer a different way to approach the problem...

Buy clothing specifically designed for travelling professionals.

I spent 10 years living in hotels all over the country in my previous career, sometimes for a weekend, sometimes I would be there for a few months.

And whilst yes a hotel room is not the same thing as living aboard, I have learnt one or two things along the way!

As soon as I started reading this thread I wondered if anybody would mention this? nope!

travel clothing tends to have 3 particular features, lightweight (for packing), quick drying and wrinkle resistant.

The latter 'can; mean wrinkle FREE and no need to iron at all, IF you hand the shirt to dry in such a way that any crease will fall out.

Rohan makes some very, very good quality clothing designed to do just that.

The chaffing thing, is a new one to me and will have to leave that one to percolate...

This may or may not help but I have found that the best way to prevent creases when packing a suitcase, is to out lay out all of your clothes flat (completely flat, nothing folded).
Biggest first, then getting smaller in size. then pile smalls and socks in the middle, then wrap the socks/smalls in the sleeves etc of the clothing one layer at a time, much like "pass the parcel" game that children play, but in reverse.

This method invariably means that clothes are bent into curves around the centre parcel rather than being folded (a deliberate crease) and tend to stay pretty much wrinkle free.

But definitely go the route of technical fabric travel clothing, Rohan (i love their stuff) have a range of shirts which look just like a normal office dress shirt but perform far better.

Just went onto their website to get that picture and they currently have a sale on!
Old 07-09-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
OK, I was very harsh considering I dont get this housework thingo everyone nags about. I just work, sail, eat and sleep. [& watch only certain football matches]. I type quietly unless the boss hears me...

My humble apologies to an enlightened snag.

BUT, Come on, us Captains must start living what we state. Solidarity as well. Its a fair call.
One of life's weirdities really .... most straight blokes I know would think of me as a snag I guess but the Wombet would fall down on unreconstructed neanderthal who just happens to be able to cook. My mother worked all her life so I've been ironing my own shirts since my teens and now I'm shacked up with a bloody feminist so how much of my ironing do you reckon she does ? Never did get the hang of housework though and in no way could I be categorised as neat.

Ah sod it, who cares really. Come Friday afternoon I am out of here and on board as soon a possible. Books, music, cryptic crosswords and food, with the Wombet by my side ..... I'd love it to be permanent but this is better than nuffink mate.

Solidarity of course .... sailing is what binds us after all, not bloody football.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 07-09-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

I'm like David B - bought Travelsmith clothing when I needed to look professional. Washable (no dry cleaning) and wrinklefree. Another tip: buy everything in one set of colors, then you only need a single set of accessories (belt, shoes, socks, purses for those of us who need 'em), not a complete set of black, and duplicates in brown or navy.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 07-10-2012
is Awesome!

DavidB.UK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DavidB.UK

Hi WingNwing,

Are TravelSmith similar to Rohan?
Old 07-10-2012

sloss321 is on a distinguished road
Hanging "dress clothes", suits and such, in the boat

Wingnwing,

Living aboard is still a dream, but your advice of sticking to one color pattern is key. I currently do that because I hate all of the clutter of extra stuff that you end up accumulating. All of my dress shirts are Non Iron wrinkle free as well. Trying to do everything possible to make living aboard a reality before I am to old.
Old 07-11-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB.UK View Post
Hi WingNwing,

Are TravelSmith similar to Rohan?
David, from what I saw when I skimmed both sites, Travelsmith.com is a little dressier/more professional level clothing, blazers & suits, targets an older and pricier demographic. But you don't need to buy very many pieces, either. I had when working 2 pairs black pants and 1 pair of gray, 5 sweaters/blouses (black, white, gray, red), 2 blazers and a few scarves, that was all I needed - pick a boring style and nobody will remember that you wore the same thing twice. Hell,if what I'm *wearing* rather than what I'm *saying* is the most important thing you remember about me, I'm in trouble anyway ...

Dan has a tan suit of theirs, very classic style, it's been working for him for 6 years, and counting.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: