Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Kitchen equipment.

As usual Chef nails it pretty well.

We have a a few pieces of Tefal non stick and it does perform extrememly well plus a non stick wok. I'd like something better in the wok department and we'll get that when we move on board but for the moment its OK though we don't do a lot of frying in oil so no need to super heat the thing. I find it works admirably on the Magma BBQ. We also have a traditional Korean stone platter than is fabulous on the BBQ though its weight is a negative. For cooking bacon and eggs it is just wonderful.

Our tableware is china for at anchor though we keep a set of melamine for eating at sea. Getting really good quality melamine is difficult these days but worth the effort. Our china is heavier than we use at home. Finer would be nice but we found some stuff that has a raised lip which seemed more suitable. We also have good quality wine glasses cos I really do hate drinking decent wine out of plastic. Interestingly enough we've only broken three glasses in the past eight years and they were all down to the people using them not waves.

Most replaced items would have to be tongs cos the moron who does the bbqing keeps dropping them overboard.

Oh yes, and we do have a set of Magma stackable cookware that is actually pretty good though doesn't really get a lot of use except for the deep pot used for casseroles and the like. We had a La Crueset type casserole on the old boat which I loved but it is a tadge heavy. Even so it is about to go back on board as it performs so much better than the Magma which I think will eventually get the boot.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

This is from the context of a liveaboard foodie who sails the bottom paint off my boat and that of others.

As so many have posted above you don't need special "marine" equipment. The only possible consideration is stowage of cookware. Personally I'm not a fan of the removable handles so many stacking systems use. I don't have confidence in them not wobbling when I need good structural connections.

The three most-used pieces of cookware on my boat are a Diamond Swiss high-sided saute, a 5l Kuhn-Rikon pressure cooker, and a 3l glass-topped sauce pan made in Guang Don that my sister brought back from Nepal. I have and carry a set of Farberware pots and pans I bought out of college but they don't get used as often as the above listed items.

Tableware is stainless that my grandmother bought at Macy's sometime in the 50s. No problems in three homes and no problem on the boat.

Cutlery is Henckels Pro-S. It's well made and lasts beautifully. I'm still hunting for the right knife roll to carry them. I have a tri-stone for annual sharpening and use a steel every single time to maintain the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Spray-on cooking oil (e.g., Pam) is your friend. Use it often. Use it liberally. Just use it.
To each their own. I use olive oil either drizzled into a pan or sprayed from a manual sprayer. I don't like the chemicals in the commercial sprays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Your biggest constraint will be stowing it when not in use. Think smaller than what you'd use at home, and lean heavily towards multitaskers. That perfect omelet pan that you use only for breakfast may not be the best thing to bring aboard.
I left my omelet pan out of the list above. It's small and doesn't take up much space. I use it for sauteing small amounts of veg sometimes but mostly it's for omelets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
For serving wares like plates, bowls, cups and the like stick to sturdy stuff like either plastic or even better Corelle.
Right. Agreed. I have some boatware with nice rubber rings on the bottom for non-skid. I also carry service for two of Great-Aunt Elizabeth's antique china. Janet and I enjoy special meals on china.

Oh yeh - Reidel offers lovely stemless crystal. You don't have to drink out of plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
If you own a cast iron skillet...you may already know rust can be kept away, even from cast iron.
Right also. I have a cast iron griddle that does lovely things to meat and fish in the oven. No issues with rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Of course, we don't have a lot of electric gadgets, although we do have a cordless immersion blender ("stick" blender).
Bingo. The only electric galley tool I use (and even carry on some deliveries) is a stick blender.
captainrizzo likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-23-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Cutlery is Henckels Pro-S. It's well made and lasts beautifully. I'm still hunting for the right knife roll to carry them.
I may be able to help with this Dave, what are looking for? I have two in my office right now I dont need

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 04-23-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Auspicious-
You might try the Sears tool section for the knife roll. Oddly enough, they make a very nice black nylon tool roll which is probably better sized for knives, and of a nice durable yet flexible cloth,complete with ties.
Old 04-23-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

My galley is better equipped than my kitchen. Pots and pans are heavier/higher quality stainless for better heating and for safety - it's dangerous enough cooking on the boat without cheap handles coming undone, etc. We do use the extremely overpriced table ware with the rubber bottoms, but we have found using the rubberized shelf liners as a tablecloth keeps the dishes stationary. Rust is a bit of an issue with silverware, so we buy cheap forks, etc and replace as needed - you can get a decent setting for 6 for less than $20 and they will last for a couple of years. I have a wire mesh collander/strainer that has rusted through.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 04-23-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

I just saw some plastic cutlery set and it had a chrome finish, actualy had to open the package to see if they were steel or plastic. BTW it's a galley on a boat not a kitchen
Old 04-23-2012

AirborneSF is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Kitchen equipment.

I still use a 'Boy Scout' cooking kit, military cook kits work also, good stuff and cheap. 02.
Old 04-23-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Stainless steel by itself is a crappy conductor of heat. Used to line a pan such as all clad cookware it is great

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-24-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I'm with Auspicious re the spray Olive Oil. Either pour it or spray from a refillable spray bottle. Apart from the chemicals (??) its the waste in a non reusable container that I don't like.

Though we don't use the stackable cookware as much as I envisaged when we bought it the removeable handles have never been a problem. The only complaint I have with the stuff is that the bases are not thick enough so simmering is well nigh impossible and the act of pulling the whole assembly out of a locker, unpacking it and ultimately having to pack it all up again is a pita. the small amount of space saved is not worth the inconvenience. OTOH .... on a 30'er I may well have different thoughts.

Slightly smaller sizes that on land are a good idea, yes, but don't overdo it. Almost all the very small stuff we had on Raven has been upsized and that is not necessarily due to extra space available. The really small stuff was just annoying to use.

For glasses ... we have some nice European (Polish I think) wine glasses that work for red or white and have relatively short stems, rims are not rolled but cut (if that's the correct way to put it). The Reidel stemless don't have a firm enough base IMO and are too expensive for boat use. Ikea have a copy but I'm still not convinced. We do carry a set of Basque glasses for beer, juice, spirits and sometimes wine if in an unsettled anchorage. They stack really well, lightweight, pleasant to use. Typically Basque but available all through Spain, come in about four different sizes.

Hey ... I went looking for a pic of those Basque glasses and found these ... similar shape but with silicon base ... interesting ...

Here's the original ...

Regarding Porfin's comments ... I don't like Corelle I confess. We use melamine for serving and salads, also for eating out of at sea.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 04-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-23-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
Does it matter what quality of kitchen stuff a cruiser uses? Is the marine environment any harder than on land on knives, tools, silverware, etc? What do you use?
We buy good quality and maintain them. Quality kitchen cutlery and flatware, washed, dried and stowed properly does just fine, in our experience. We even have a couple of cast iron pieces that see regular use. We treat them just the way Mom taught us and have never had a problem.

Same applies to any tools.

Tool care we learned from Dad (Who never went to sea): Clean, lubricate and put away after use. We keep tools in heavy canvas bags (We learned that on our own after bringing a metal tool box aboard once.)

Good quality will always last longer than cheap junk and a little bit of preventive maintenance can make things last until you are tired of them.