SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Kitchen equipment. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/86500-kitchen-equipment.html)

utchuckd 04-21-2012 12:41 PM

Kitchen equipment.

Does it matter what quality of kitchen stuff a cruiser uses? Is the marine environment any harder than on land on knives, tools, silverware, etc? What do you use?

ccriders 04-21-2012 12:55 PM

Re: Kitchen equipment.

I've had problems with stainless tableware rusting when it gets just a little salt water on it and is not rinsed off before storage. Copper pans will heat faster and more evenly than almost anything else thereby saving fuel and providing good cooking results. You sort of have to decide to let copper discolor as proper maintenace will be all but impossible. Even at home I have streamlined my knives to a 17 and a 12 cm santoku knives, a parer and a bread knife. If you are filleting fish then a filet knife would be good. If you grill, good tongs are in order. etc, etc. Good quality will serve you well.
John

SlowButSteady 04-21-2012 01:43 PM

Spray-on cooking oil (e.g., Pam) is your friend. Use it often. Use it liberally. Just use it.

PorFin 04-21-2012 02:21 PM

It's kind of up to you.

There's nothing special about the marine environment that would require a fundamentally different composition of materials; if it works at home it'll probably work on the boat. Cookware is cookware.

Your biggest constraint will be stowing it when not in use. Think smaller than what you'd use at home, and lean heavily towards multitaskers. That perfect omelet pan that you use only for breakfast may not be the best thing to bring aboard.

A good pressure cooker is worth its weight in gold.

OTOH, your home kitchen ain't gonna be asked to provide meals while leaning 15 degrees to port. Things have a tendency to move a lot more, seemingly all by themselves. For serving wares like plates, bowls, cups and the like stick to sturdy stuff like either plastic or even better Corelle.

For tools, plastic or stainless are the best bet -- except for knives (personal preference here, but I've yet to find a decent stainless knife that can hold a good edge.)

hellosailor 04-21-2012 02:35 PM

If you have good carbon-steel knives, you now they'll rust in Kansas or Nevada just form the humiduty in the kitchen. That's one reason stainless became the craze 60? years ago.

But a little surface rust doesn't hurt anything, a little cooking oil can keep it down. One new option are the ceramic knives, which really seem to work well and just can't rust. The usual "german" stainless cutlery brands seem to hold up perfectly well, and a good stainless blade can always be thinner than a ceramic blade will be.

If you own a cast iron skillet...you may already know rust can be kept away, even from cast iron. Or it can conquer, depends on how you treat the stuff.

Silverware? Well, tableware, not made from silver but from stainless or something shiny these days, doesn't seem to care about marine environments. Tools? Oh yea, you want a can of Boeshield or other corrosion inhibitor, or some corrosion inhibitor strips in the tool box, because rust never sleeps and it loves tool steel.

You can buy surplus berylium-copper tools, used in the arms industry because they don't spark, and those won't corrode at all either. Berylium dust is toxic though, so you don't want to grind or sharpen those.

SlowButSteady 04-21-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 861527)

You can buy surplus berylium-copper tools, used in the arms industry because they don't spark, and those won't corrode at all either. Berylium dust is toxic though, so you don't want to grind or sharpen those.

Beryllium isn't just toxic, it's REALLY toxic. One speck in your lungs can (and most likely WILL) result in pulmonary cancer. I REALLY wouldn't advise using beryllium tools anywhere you didn't absolutely need them.

wingNwing 04-21-2012 06:38 PM

In general, I think you can use the same stuff as you would on land and not pay the inflated marine prices. We use a mix: some plastic picnicware from Target, Corelle dishes, and a set of marine nesting cookware. As was previously stated, stowage is really the enemy here. Our knives are Henkels (sp?) and are stowed in a relatively dry locker; in 10 years fulltime living aboard we haven't had rust issues. Lots of collapsible silicon things, like colander and muffin cups. Pressure cooker is a must-have for so many reasons - not only does it save water & fuel, but the locking lid will prevent splashes, and dry beans themselves store better and make less trash than canned. Of course, we don't have a lot of electric gadgets, although we do have a cordless immersion blender ("stick" blender).

Brent Swain 04-21-2012 06:44 PM

My magnetic stainless spoons and forks rusted in the tropics, as did my magnetic stainless sink and strainer, but not the non magnetic ones. The stainless "Made in India" is non magnetic, and super cheap. They don't corrode.
I took my magnet to a scrapyard, and found that the lighter coloured sinks are mostly non magnetic , but the darker ones with the black coating on the outside are magnetic. I switched to the non magnetic one , and have had no further trouble. I couldn't find a non magnetic strainer and bowl, so I had to weld my own up, out of a three inch ss flange and a 1 1/2 inch ss pipe nipple from the scrapyard. No problem with it.

T37Chef 04-21-2012 07:14 PM

Non Stick Cookware

As most have stated, I don't think it much matters, the biggest obstacle seems to be stowage.

I cant believe I am saying this but...if there is one thing I have more of on the boat than anywhere else, its non stick cookware! Why? Easier and faster to clean = less water usage. I would add, don't spend $$$ on non stick cookware, I have found Tefal a pretty good value. I Never understood why someone would buy a non stick All Clad pan :confused:

I have a lot more tools than I really need aboard, I just cant help myself. The best electric tool you can have in my opinion (other than the coffee grinder, that more of a necessity) is the item wingNwing mentioned, an immersion blender. Of course this item is only useful if you have an inverter/generator, if not I suppose you could buy one of the rechargeable ones and recharge when plugged in. I also have a very handy fish scaler for all that fresh fish, LOL. High Carbon SS knives are my preference on the boat, I have several Wustof Grand Prix series knives held in place with a three magnet rails.

I have a cast iron skillet and griddle on board, I treat them the same way as I would at work/home, light coat of oil after cleaning.

I don't care much for the thin SS stuff, especially the camping type stuff, but it has its place if you have limited stowage ;) I am not familiar with the "nesting" cookware a lot of folks seem to like.

As much as I like cooking with a Wok, I cant get it hot enough with the boats stove/burner for it to be useful in my opinion so thats out.

A pizza stone works great on the grill. Fits our old Magma grill perfectly, and cooks up a nice pie, plus keeps the heat out of the cabin on those hot days. Just don't preheat it much or it will crack, ask me how I know. :rolleyes:

Another item I recommend is something you can use for steaming, I like the collapsible ones found in most grocery stores. Steaming foods such as veges and fish uses a lot less energy than boiling/blanching them, I steam a lot more often on the boat than at home/work.

zeehag 04-21-2012 08:37 PM

i have always--since i moved on board in 1990, used just what i used at home. except my mom took my sterling silver away and is keeping it as she seems to think it would only disappear anyway-----smart lady! i currently use plastic tableware, paper plates and cook on whatever i want to --from cast iron, of which i have a small set, to aluminum covered with teflon. btw--i am permanently cruising.