Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vega1860

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
North to Alaska

In a few days we will be leaving our comfortable digs in Honolulu for a month or so of inter-island cruising. Around the first of June we plan to head North, generally up the 160W meridian to about 48N or wherever we find westerlies, then NE to Sitka. It looks like we may have to swing quite a bit West to get favorable winds.

Any thoughts?

Any local tips from Sitka? (Is it better to approach the transient moorings from the Western Channel (North end) or via the Middle Channel, under the bridge?)
julia mills likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: North to Alaska

Did you guys install a heating stove on Lealea?
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-23-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Will you get any boost from the Japanese Current? Are you planning on hitting the main part, or just Southeast (weather is most like northern Washington)? From Seward, you can take the train through Anchorage, Denali Park, all the way up to Fairbanks.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-24-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Safe passage, Vega! When would you be meandering south down the coast here again?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-24-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Get daily weatherfaxes from NOAA and grib files.

I have done HI to PNW twice; in neither case did it follow the "normal" pattern.

Watch out for tsunami debris. The Pacific gyre is not a myth; been there, seen it.

I am bringing a Vic-Maui boat at the end of July. I look forward to reading about your crossing.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 04-24-2012
Swab

We made almost the same trip in 2007 sailing to the PNW from Hawaii so we pretty much know what to expect along the way. The boat is in much better shape this time and we are much better prepared and more experienced.

We are hoping to explore some of the less traveled parts of SE AK.

Friends in Roche Harbor have asked us if we would consider house-sitting for them this winter so we may be back in the San Juans later this year.

Old 04-24-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega1860 View Post
Any thoughts?
Bring extra cookies

Just finished the San Fran to Hawaii video log, really good stuff!
Have a safe trip & when you get there, catch a barn door or 2 for me.

Bob
Old 05-30-2012

julia mills is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I see you are headed to Alaska, I am looking for a sailboat that might be willing to take a couple of (useful, experienced and friendly) people out to see the coastline of Alaska for a week or two this summer, on a cost share basis.
Any chance of that?
All the best with your voyage, Julia.
Old 06-11-2012
Swab

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia mills View Post
Hi there, I see you are headed to Alaska, I am looking for a sailboat that might be willing to take a couple of (useful, experienced and friendly) people out to see the coastline of Alaska for a week or two this summer, on a cost share basis.
Any chance of that?
All the best with your voyage, Julia.
I am afraid that our boat is just too small for four adults to be comfortable over-nighting, no matter how friendly or useful.

Old 06-14-2012
Swab

Made the Costco run today. Picked up another waterproof camera and stopped by WM for a few odds and ends. We planned to depart tomorrow, Thursday, but we are both so exhausted from running around and re-packing that I think we may wait another day. that makes it a Friday departure and, since we observe ALL the superstitions, it will probably be early Saturday morning.