Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By neverknow
  • 1 Post By scratchee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012

neverknow is on a distinguished road
Washington DC area June 16-20th.

Hello all. We have to take our son out to the DC area June 16-20th and we are looking for something boating related to do while he is getting his Congressional award.

We can tow our 14 foot aluminum fishing boat with us if we can find something fun to do.

Any ideas? Worthwhile places to go via small boat? We'd love to also find a boat to spend the night on. We can trade nights on our Carver in Michigan City on Lake Michigan.

It will just be the wife and I.
jaydensmith likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: Washington DC area June 16-20th.

Disclaimer: I do a lot of driving in D.C., but never any boating.

You may want to put in at Gravelly Point, just north of Reagan National Airport, and head over to the Georgetown waterfront. It should be a nice scenic ride with some things to do at the destination (bars, restaurants, shopping.) There may be closer launches than Gravelly Point, but I doubt any are easier access or as free.

Again, this is from my view from the land, and without looking into the possible options online.
jaydensmith likes this.
Old 04-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Disclaimer: I do a lot of driving in D.C., but never any boating.

You may want to put in at Gravelly Point, just north of Reagan National Airport, and head over to the Georgetown waterfront. It should be a nice scenic ride with some things to do at the destination (bars, restaurants, shopping.) There may be closer launches than Gravelly Point, but I doubt any are easier access or as free.

Again, this is from my view from the land, and without looking into the possible options online.
It's funny you'd suggest that. We were just looking at that area on goggle earth.
Old 04-24-2012

Midnightflyer is on a distinguished road

Hi, If you have the time, Annapolis is the boating capital of the east coast and it's only a short drive from Washington. Bob
Oday 28

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
Old 04-24-2012

RichardM is on a distinguished road

I second the recommendation for Annapolis. Depending on time of day, about 45 minutes to an hour away. Tons of things to do, including harbor tours, local museum.

If you want to go all in, then you could drive to St. Michaels, Md. on the eastern shore over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (terrific view) and then hit the Antique and Classic Boat Festival which is on June 15-17.
Old 04-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I second the recommendation for Annapolis. Depending on time of day, about 45 minutes to an hour away. Tons of things to do, including harbor tours, local museum.

If you want to go all in, then you could drive to St. Michaels, Md. on the eastern shore over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (terrific view) and then hit the Antique and Classic Boat Festival which is on June 15-17.
A few yrs ago our son was at USNA for a week and we put our boat in at Annapolis for a day. It was very nice.

We might try the Potomac and/or St. Michael s, Md. We have been viewing both ares on google earth.

We are also still waiting to here if our son will be spending a week at the Coast Guard Academy in July. He is applying to both USNA and USCGA.
Old 05-21-2012
Seasoned Salt

Trekka is on a distinguished road

I think this is the time when OpSail will be arriving in Baltimore? There are a bunch of big sailing ships that will have been in Norfolk and then depart as a group for Baltimore. Sort of a wet ruin for the huge sailing event next year to commemorate the 200th anniversary of The War of 1812.

[amazing what google can do:]
Star-Spangled Sailabration - June 13-19 - Baltimore, Maryland

Star-Spangled Sailabration, June 13-19
An international parade of more than 40 tall ships and naval vessels. These ships sail into Baltimore for the national launch of the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 and the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner. Star-Spangled Sailabration will feature free tours of the ships, waterside festivities, an airshow featuring the Blue Angels, and the world-premiere of “Overture for 2012,” composed by Philip Glass.