Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003

ustunkal is on a distinguished road
old time sailing

Hi Everybody,

Have you ever had any experience about old time sailing? If so, please let me know. I mean the things like 150 years ago... Not any electronic and mechanic sailing... To be on board as a passenger and crew too.

I am trying to find out a charterer for above occasions about 60-70 feet loa old boat.

Rgds,

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU !!!!

Kamil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2003

aflanigan is on a distinguished road
old time sailing

There are a number of windjammers plying the waters of the atlantic (and some in the pacific, too, I understand) which attempt to recreate, to varying degrees, the experience of water transportation circa 1850. My wife and I honeymooned on a vessel named the Sylvina W. Beal in 1992. Built in 1911, she had no running water (I think there were electric lights in the cabins, though, and a flush head), if you wanted water you pumped it from the water barrel on deck. No hot water to speak of, the cook made do with a wood-fired stove which did have a hose producing tepid water for dishwashing. She did have an engine, but the skipper, Geoffrey Jones, was a traditional sort who was reluctant to fire it up. Of course, there were no winches, there was a manual windlass to raise the anchor with. Hoisting sails and trimming was done by belaying to a pin on a rail. Basically, wonderfully primitive sailing, at least until the squall hits and the passengers all turn green.

Sadly, the Beal mostly does short daysails now, but she can be chartered. Specs:

Length Overall - 84'' Draft - 8'' Beam - 17'' Cargo - 60 Tons Sail Area - 2,200 square feet
Tons - 46 gross tons Hull - Wood Rigging - Gaff Rig, Two-Masted Displacement - 80 tons

Here''s the link:

http://www.eastportwindjammers.com/beal.html

She''s been featured in two movies, and she''s a beautiful old gal.

There are older boats afloat, like the Lewis R. French (built 1871), but most of these have probably been retrofitted with modern gewgaws like sinks and running water for passenger comfort (ugh!)

http://www.midcoast.com/~windjam/?source=MWA

Allen Flanigan
Old 12-14-2003

ustunkal is on a distinguished road
old time sailing

Hi Allen,

Thanks for your detailed message.
You have mentioned all the things about the subject I interested. First of all I would like to sail that way even if my face can turn green at the rough waves. (I have no any sea sickness trouble whole my sea life because I have got 30 years of sea experience as ocean-going captain in merchant vessels but retired now :-)) ) Meanwhile I am building my own boat (40 feet cruiser) which I expect to finish all building process next year. I think that it will be very good experience before I sail myself on my own boat.

Your message helped me a lot and I will search that companies and vessels you mentioned in your message.

I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Good Luck,

Cpt. Kamil USTUNKAL
Old 12-23-2003

mdougan is on a distinguished road
old time sailing

Hi,

If you are building your own boat, I encourage you to build it without too much dependence on fancy technology. My own boat has a "steering wind vane" rather than an electronic auto-pilot, a manual anchor windlass, no refridgeration (just ice boxes), oil lamps inside the cabin (with some electric lights which I use when I just need a brief light), oil lamps for the running lights which I would like to replace with electric (because it''s a pain in the neck to refill them every night). Most of the halyards use old style block and tackle so the only place I use modern wenches are for the jib sheets. I have a VHF radio for safety and a couple of GPS (because you''d be crazy to go to sea without one these days), a depth meter and compass. And that''s about it. The less things you have, the less that can go wrong!
Old 12-23-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
old time sailing

2 words: OAR CLUB!
http://www.oarclub.org

Engines.... VE DONT NEED NO STINKIN ENGINES!!!!

-- James
Old 12-23-2003
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
old time sailing

mdougan,

RE: "use modern wenches are for the jib sheets"

Your reference to modern wenches is confusing. I in general am very happy to accomodate wenches of any type who are willing to join our crew - you know not all wenches conside sailing to be pleasing, let alone are eager to be servicing the jib sheets! By modern do you mean "younger" in age, or is it more of an attitude characteristic? And if this is the only place such wenches are used, who does the cooking on board. Are these wenches NOW members?
I''m sure that more advice on dealing with modern wenches is something most readers would appreciate.
Old 12-23-2003

flicker is on a distinguished road
old time sailing

I think by "modern" he means "hip", "mod", "with it", and "now!"
Old 01-16-2004

mdougan is on a distinguished road
old time sailing

hummm... wenches....winches? whatever... the one holding the jib sheet

well... by modern I guess I mean, sleek, sculpted, smooth, bright and shiny as opposed to cranky, dull and often frozen.

Also modern wenches are more versitile, with several speeds, slow and steady, medium for most days and fast when you really need it. With just a little TLC these babes will be outlive me....