Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Good food to store in hot cabin

I am not a long-distance cruiser, more of a weekend to overnight cruiser. My old boat gets really hot when it is on its mooring. What are some good snack and small meal foods to store in a cabin that gets roasting hot when it is vacant?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Good food to store in hot cabin

Snacks? Pretzels & chips, they don't mind the heat. Foods? Anything tinned, or freeze-dried. Also assorted dried nuts, although dried fruits may get "too dried" from heat. Foods that are in retort pouches (like tuna "pouches") should also survive well.

If you want to keep anything a little cooler, consider extra ziplock bag or other protection, and then storing it in the bilge. That's usually the coolest spot. If a Hershey bar survives there, then you know it will be safe for anything. :-)
Old 04-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

I've experimented with the same on our boat - which is similar to your situation. Bottom line is that I don't think it makes sense to store any food on the boat. It never stays fresh - and it's easy just to bring what we need for each trip, and take home the extra.

We do store canned/bottled drinks and booze. But that's about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-26-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

I have similar short cruising/day sailing habits. Most often I stay at a marina overnight and go to a restaurant. However, I always stock stuff for emergency meals in case I head out in the morning and don't come back at night. I like to carry stuff I can prepare with just hot water or an option to microwave (if I'm at a dock) or stovetop if I'm anchored-- cup-of-noodles is easy and stores well. Potato sticks store better than chips. My favorite is canned salmon- very filling with lots of protein and fat and can be eaten raw from the can-- very handy if you can't leave the wheel. For fancier meals I carry a couple packs of prepared meals like the "steamer" meals. Canned stew is easy. Canned fruit makes good breakfasts or desserts. Whatever's left in my pantry at the end of the season goes home.
Old 04-26-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road

It seems to be more the humidity than the heat that takes its toll, so keeping packages well sealed is key. Anything where we pop the factory seal we either use up that weekend, take home to use up, or double bag depending on what it is. Small and single-serve packages are very useful. We also try not to let anything sit more than a few weeks (plus or minus) opened or not - it goes home. Itís nice to keep a few items aboard for the times we end up staying out longer than expected or go for an impromptu sail.

The following is a list of things weíve occasionally or routinely kept aboard during a hot summer with the boat closed up...

Pretzels and chips
Crackers (unopened tubes)
Granola and energy bars (as long as they arenít the kind that are coated with chocolate or peanut butter)
Canned vegetables, fruits, and soups
Instant soups
Canned or jarred tomato sauce
Pasta
Dry cereal (single-serve or unopened larger boxes)
Single serve applesauce cups
Peanut butter
Peanuts and cashews
Trail mix (as long as it doesnít contain chocolate chips or chunks)
Raisins, dried cranberries, banana chips, and other dried fruits
M&Ms (they hold up surprisingly well)
Fast food style single-serve condiment packets
Tea and coffee

I imagine a lot of these non-perishables are seeing similar, or worse, temp extremes during processing and in delivery trucks on the way to market.
Old 04-26-2012

Jetexas is on a distinguished road

I leave a box of pop-tarts or a box of granola bars that don't contain any chocolate in the pantry as emergency snacks. There's usually some instant pancake mix as well, but I can't leave butter, and the syrup starts tasting weird (extra maple-ish if that makes ant sense) after a couple months. I have yet to figure out if there are health concerns regarding overheated extra-maple-tasting syrup.

I can leave beer from maybe November - March, but once it gets hot, it's super skunky by the next weekend.

The hard stuff keeps fine if the neighbors don't drink it all.
Old 04-26-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
The hard stuff keeps fine if the neighbors don't drink it all.
Wasn't me I swear!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-26-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

I routinely leave my boat in Florida for weeks at a time with stores on board. Mostly what others have already suggested. I will add that I find it a good idea to get the cardboard off the boat. I don't bring any on in the first place. I transfer boxed goods to either zip lock or vacuum bags. Power bars and such that try to melt go into storage low down in the boat, not quite the bilge but below water line where it is much cooler than in the cabin.

Smackdaddy....I'm watching you.I have a good count of how many bottles of what are where.
Old 04-26-2012
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Great ideas. I like the idea of keeping some tomato sauce and pasta. That's a good makeshift meal ... that my little boys would go for if we are out longer than planned. I agree, most delicate stuff I will bring onboard for each trip.