Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Familycruisers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012

formerboatkid is on a distinguished road
Question Have you crossed the Atlantic?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and haven't been on a boat forum in YEARS! To give you guys a bit of a background, I lived on a boat between the ages of 7 and 15 sailing around with my mum and dad (and then later just my Dad). Mainly around South America, Caribbean, etc, we did two Atlantic crossings during that time (in the mid 90s). My Dad is a shipwright and is now settled in Barcelona building boats and boat related things, and I'm now a landlubber and photographer.

In a lot of my photographic work, I explore the period of my childhood when we were travelling, because we took only about 4 photos the whole time, and I feel like that part of my life is missing. I only shoot on film, and more specifically on expired Polaroid film. It's beautiful stuff and is a bit weird due to expiry, but I now only have about 5 years to go before the film is dead (they don't make it anymore) - so, to cut a long story short, I'm looking to do what I can with it before it is too late.

I'm now in the VERY early stages of thinking about a big long term project that should take me towards the end of the film, and that is to do with sailing and superstition and specifically about yachties who disguise themselves when crossing the Atlantic, and other seafaring traditions.

I was wondering if any of you have done an Atlantic crossing, and if so did you disguise yourselves when crossing "the line"? We did, I was King Tutankhamun and Dad was Neptune, my Mum was a pirate and a guy we picked up in the Cape Verde called Isaac was Christopher Columbus... apparently lots of people used to do this.

If so - do you have any memories of this tradition of disguise, or are planning to do this on a future trip?

I'm just starting to think about this, so I'm trying to work out if it's a documentary project that is doable, so any feedback would be amazing!

Thank you all in advance,

Rhiannon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Have you crossed the Atlantic?

We plan to cross but did not know about the tradition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 04-27-2012

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road

Only tradition I'm familiar with was the Shellback initiation, but thats all about the equator, not an Atlantic crossing.
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 05-02-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familycruisers View Post
Only tradition I'm familiar with was the Shellback initiation, but thats all about the equator, not an Atlantic crossing.
Me too, I only know of the initiation tradition of crossing the Equator, have gone several times across the Atlantic and the only time we did something was when we had somebody on board that had never crossed the Equator before.

I might be able to dig up some pictures of that for you.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

Tags
"atlantic crossing" , "seafaring ritual" , disguise , tradition