Minimum fetch
Good holding substrate
Not too deep
Minimal loose debris
Forgiving shore structure
Elevated surrounding topography
Few other vessels
Up river or inland

I rarely find all of these, but I usually find most.... 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2012

Me Tarzan is on a distinguished road
Re: Hurricane Hole - How to Choose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I look for:
Minimum fetch
Good holding substrate
Not too deep
Minimal loose debris
Forgiving shore structure
Elevated surrounding topography
Few other vessels
Up river or inland

I rarely find all of these, but I usually find most.... 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
I like your list of criteria.
Old 05-16-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I suspect that's why a lot of folks go up Indian River, Florida during hurricane season. If I recall, there's a marina about 17 miles from the mouth of the river called Indian Landing where hurricanes are never a problem--even when just tied to the dock.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-16-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I suspect that's why a lot of folks go up Indian River, Florida during hurricane season. If I recall, there's a marina about 17 miles from the mouth of the river called Indian Landing where hurricanes are never a problem--even when just tied to the dock.

Good Luck,

Gary
I am not able to locate that marina, I tried Active Captain and Google search. I wonder are you talking about Indiantown marina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mdi; 05-16-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Editing
Old 05-16-2012
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

This photo was shot as the water was rising. The electric box next to my boat was underwater three house after the photo was taken. Somewhere to the left, there is a swimming pool beneath the muddy water.

Good Luck,

Gary
Gary,

I know that boat, in 2006 my slip was next to the PO's. Sorry to hear about the wind generator but as I recall, it always was a noisy thing and I was glad Fred kept it harnessed.

Is it Saturday's Child that you'll be taking to Florida this Fall? If so I'll be watching for you.

Regards...Mike
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 05-17-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Hi Mike,

Yep, it's Fred's old boat. And yes, that generator was really noisy. When the wind got up a bit it sounded like a jet engine. If my health doesn't go to Hell, it's the boat I'll be taking south in October. I've made quite a few changes to the boat, and currently I'm repainting everything above the rub rail. Fred painted below the rub rail and that paint seems to be in great shape. The non-skid is completely worn off the deck and cockpit, and there are lots of places where the paint has worn down to the barrier coat.

I had all the standing rigging replaced--it was all original when I purchased the boat. I also replaced the roller furling to an Alado system, put a new jib on her, but the main seems to be OK, at least for now.

I also added an electric windlass, new chain and rode, redid all the plumbing during the past winter, replaced one of the breaker panels, repaired some of the wiring, repaired the alternator(s), installed a 15-watt solar panel, installed a pedestal mounted, swivel, cockpit seat, an oscillating fan in the vee berth, a flat-screen LED TV, Lowrance HDS7 GPS plotter/depth finder and I'll probably install Lowrance's 3G Radar on the pole where the wind generator was mounted.

Fred told me the boat was slow, but I haven't found that to be the case. Changing the jib made a big difference in the performance, though--the original jib was completely shot. With a 15 knot wind she'll cruise right along at 6.5 to 7.2, and the old gal can really handle bad weather better than any boat I've been aboard. Just prior to the arrival of the flood-waters in the above photo my wife and I got caught in some sustained 45 to 50-MPH winds and torrential rains that lasted nearly 12 hours. Running on just the jib we skipped along at more than 8.5 knots for more than 30 miles. My biggest worry was that I might have been placing too much strain on the rigging, but it held well. We tied up the boat at the marina during a lull in the storm, unloaded the essentials, and the following day the flood-waters arrived. The storm, which continued for another couple days, was the remnants of last summer's hurricane.

The marina I was referring to in Florida IS Indiantown Marina, which is just about 17 miles west of Stuart, FL. I went there looking for a Morgan just like the one I purchased. It looked great on the outside, but the interior was shot. It's a neat marina, lots of amenities, but pretty expensive. If I had to get away from a hurricane, and I was within 100 miles of Indiantown Marina, it would be my hurricane hole of choice.

Cheers,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.