Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard friendly marinas?- Chessapeake

Hi,

I have taken to living aboard my sailboat.

I have discovered that liveaboards are often considered undesirable by marinas. So now, on top of my normal undesirablility, I have somehow achieved an even higher level of undesirablility.

Does anyone know of marinas that are openly friendly to liveaboard people? Currently looking in Chessapeake, and preferably the Essex-Dundalk area, but can consider anywhere really.

Thanks,
groundhog
jaydensmith likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Liveaboard friendly marinas?- Chessapeake

In the last several months, I have made a few phone calls to marinas to discuss living aboard. Let me tell you the biggest thing that has helped me win them over:

Marinas and yacht clubs are very image conscious. Most of them are trying to attact boat owners and families, and to do this, they are trying to project a clean, well-maintained image with lots of beautiful boats parked in slips.

The sloppy liveaboard who uses his boat as a low-rent, tax evading dock-condo, with tools, pet feces and potted plants covering the deck does not lend itself to this image.

So when I call and ask if they allow liveaboards, the woman on the phone invariable gives a very cautious "Yyyess...". The first thing I tell her is that I am keenly aware of how they build their business, that my boat is in fine shape, and attractive to look at. I also state that I am an avid sailor, and absolutely will be taking my boat out frequently, and that I do not have pets, and will not be leaving my crap scattered all over the dock.

You can always hear the sigh of relief at the other end, and a few of these marinas have straight out told me "That is such a relief to hear, and you'd be very welcome here".
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-07-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I agree. I've seen some examples of why many marinas are gun-shy about livaboards. Until recently I performed lots of music jobs at marinas and yacht clubs. Most of the livaboards were fairly conscientious about their surrounds, the vast majority did not have children, some had small dogs or cats, but most didn't, some had dock boxes, and a few had an array of potted palms, awnings, trash bags, etc... Those were the folks that were not invited to return the following season.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-08-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Agreed, they like to know what they're getting in to. We try to visit in person, and bring a photo of the boat. We've offered to bring references from our previous marina, but no one has ever asked.
jaydensmith likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-08-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

Magothy Marina in Severna Park is one of the few liveaboard-friendly marinas I know of. I have been living there for the past 5 years.

Pluses:
Quiet (no boatyard, no tiki bar)
Thriving liveaboard community (a few weirdos, but mostly good folk
Easy access to Chessie
Friendly and helpful staff
Spotless heads
Lots of summer parties/events

Minuses:
No tiki bar
A little more exposed from the east than I'd like.

All in all, it's a great liveaboard experience. Highly recommended!
Old 05-08-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Essex and Dundalk are a bit North for my normal stomping grounds.

Magothy Marina is nice but a long run down the Magothy to the Bay.

In Annapolis you can check with Port Annapolis, Eastport Yacht Center, Annapolis Landing Marine, Horn Point Marina, Port Williams Marina, Petrini's, and Butler's Marina.

WingNWing's suggestion of a meeting is very well taken. Marinas don't want trailer trash -- show them you are not.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Essex and Dundalk are a bit North for my normal stomping grounds.

Magothy Marina is nice but a long run down the Magothy to the Bay.

In Annapolis you can check with Port Annapolis, Eastport Yacht Center, Annapolis Landing Marine, Horn Point Marina, Port Williams Marina, Petrini's, and Butler's Marina.

WingNWing's suggestion of a meeting is very well taken. Marinas don't want trailer trash -- show them you are not.
Actually, it's about 30 minutes. faster than getting out of the Balt. harbor. The good thing, too, is the Magothy is an imminently sailable river.
Old 05-08-2012

groundhog is on a distinguished road

Thanks.
Ok, to recap all of your good suggestions...
-I must bathe more frequently and raise my IQ.
... lol.

Actually, I sensed your ideas about what the Marina operators were thinking, but hadnt actually thought it out. But, it makes perfect sense. I will definately try those suggestions.

I do make a pretty small footprint at a marina as a habit.

Now, I was aiming at Essex as my next stop because of the many restaruants that populate the shores there.

I dont know much about the Magothy in this respect. I sometimes layover in the magothy on the way to annapolis and stay at that restaurant in the first creek up on the left.

How is the social situation on the magothy?
groundhog
jaydensmith likes this.
Old 05-08-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Agreed, they like to know what they're getting in to. We try to visit in person, and bring a photo of the boat. We've offered to bring references from our previous marina, but no one has ever asked.
An how very funny you say that. Wait till you tell them that you want to know if they accept LA's and you are a family of four with a fat bulldog.... then the line really gets quiet!!!

I DID have to bring a picture of the boat, twice (2 seperate marinas). And both times had to bring documentatoin on the boat and full insurance. When they saw the boat, they were fine. But as was mentioned earlier, they are trying to keep out some of the riff raff. I cannot blame them. Both times took owner's approval.

Is that legal? I don't know.

Brian

PS Did not mean to redirect your thread.
jaydensmith likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
Thanks.
Ok, to recap all of your good suggestions...
-I must bathe more frequently and raise my IQ.
... lol.

Actually, I sensed your ideas about what the Marina operators were thinking, but hadnt actually thought it out. But, it makes perfect sense. I will definately try those suggestions.

I do make a pretty small footprint at a marina as a habit.

Now, I was aiming at Essex as my next stop because of the many restaruants that populate the shores there.

I dont know much about the Magothy in this respect. I sometimes layover in the magothy on the way to annapolis and stay at that restaurant in the first creek up on the left.

How is the social situation on the magothy?
groundhog
Social scene is good. About a dozen liveaboards. As I said, no tiki bar, but we do our own thing!
jaydensmith likes this.