Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Re: Catastrophic health insurance?

I guess I wasn't very clear with my post. I guess what I'm asking is if I'm cruising abroad, can I still have an insurance policy back in the US if I have to come back here for any issues. My current policy is an HSA with a major medical policy (low premium, high deductible). Could I just keep that going while I'm away and then use it should I have to come back for any major treatments? Sorry if I used the wrong or confusing terminology.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
I guess I wasn't very clear with my post. I guess what I'm asking is if I'm cruising abroad, can I still have an insurance policy back in the US if I have to come back here for any issues. My current policy is an HSA with a major medical policy (low premium, high deductible). Could I just keep that going while I'm away and then use it should I have to come back for any major treatments? Sorry if I used the wrong or confusing terminology.
If you want this question answered the only place to ask is your insurance company. I would hardly want to bet the bank on peoples opinions on a forum.
utchuckd likes this.
Old 05-10-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
If you want this question answered the only place to ask is your insurance company. I would hardly want to bet the bank on peoples opinions on a forum.

Ah Yes, ask the company "where you are NOT Covered"; but the short answer, you'll love this, depends on where you are going and what policy you have and who you have it with. So you gotta ask the insurance company and if you are going out of country you gotta find out to some extent what the host country will accept.
utchuckd likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mdi; 05-10-2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 05-10-2012

utchuckd is on a distinguished road

Yeah I plan on figuring all that out with the insurance company, but as I'm in the middle of moving and almost, but not quite, ready to change my insurance I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knew.
Old 05-10-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utchuckd View Post
Yeah I plan on figuring all that out with the insurance company, but as I'm in the middle of moving and almost, but not quite, ready to change my insurance I thought I'd ask and see if anyone knew.
I don't know what your options are, for example can you keep the old policy or you need to switch for one reason or another. If you have the option of either policy I would check with them both before I switched or changed policies.

A good example of this for me is that I, like everyone else, gets offered Accidental Death policies. But I ride motorcycles and some AD policies do not cover motorcycles, so you have to look at the fine fine print

I am a believer if you have it - You do not need it, its only when you don't

Last edited by mdi; 05-10-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Editing
Old 05-10-2012
more JOY everywhere!

Jane.Joy is on a distinguished road

I did a bit of research before we started cruising - this is the company we got a quote from:

Worldwide Travel Insurance | Seven Corners

It was about $5000 a year for a late-forties couple, as I recall. Catastrophic, high deductible (5000, I think). The cruisers that we know either have DAN, or they have no health insurance, or they use one of the catastrophic plans like the one I cited above and they pay all medical expenses out-of-pocket. We decided against getting the insurance (big chunk of change!) but we're uneasy with the decision, so probably will revisit at some point. Would be interested to hear what other full-time cruisers have decided.

(apologies for posting twice - I was looking at two threads and posted to the wrong one )

Old 05-10-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdi View Post
Ah Yes, ask the company "where you are NOT Covered"; but the short answer, you'll love this, depends on where you are going and what policy you have and who you have it with. So you gotta ask the insurance company and if you are going out of country you gotta find out to some extent what the host country will accept.
The o/p wants to know if he can keep his US policy in force while he is out of the country (USA) so that if he comes back for treatment he will still have coverage in the US. There is no host country involvement here. Since insurance companies make their own rules there is no definitive answer and they and they alone can answer his querie.
Old 05-13-2012

Aces is on a distinguished road

The best thing and the right step to do is contact your insurance provider regarding this matter if they will still cover you or not.
Old 05-14-2012

dongreerps is on a distinguished road

This thread raises and discusses a very complex set of issues. They all arise from the supposition someone gets seriously ill while abroad. Issues include where to get care, when to be evacuated home, how to be evacuated home, how to pay for the trip home, medical insurance coverage when you do get home, and where to get treated in the US.

The first choice for treatment is in the local area if expert local care is available. The problem is knowing if there are really skilled medical help available locally. To find that out may take some blunt questioning. (How many of these have you seen this week, month, year. What is your success ratio?) If you have Divers Alert Network coverage, the MD answering the DAN phone back in the states will be able to help you determine if local treatment is acceptable, or evacuation to home is advisable. This access to medical advise over the phone is a very valuable part of the service provided by DAN.

In many parts of the world medical/surgical care is every bit as good as that available in the US.

The second question is medical evacuation. If the patient can get onto a commercial carrier, pay for the first class ticket, the care that goes along with it, and get home. Of an air ambulance is necessary, realistically you must have evacuation insurance. I know of two sources: DAN, and AKC. DAN is least expensive, and provides good service. American Kennel Club charges $109 annually for member and family coverage.
They claim this coverage includes caring for your pet, and getting him back home if necessary. I have no experience with them, but just getting a pet shipped home is expensive. If I were traveling with a pet, I would sure investigate AKC coverage. They also claim expert medical advise.

This leaves the question of the medical insurance coverage if the patient has to be evacuated back to the states. A high deductable/low premium policy or "catastrophic coverage" is what most would arrange for. I would get as much coverage as possible. My own son was in an accident in 1985. The bill from the 1st hospital was slightly less than $250,000. (Insurance paid). He was then medically uninsurable, but we got him covered with a medical policy with a $25,000 deductable. Annual premium was about $250.00. Those numbers are from the mid 80's. Today they would be much scarier.

If evacuation is medically necessary, be prepared to intelligently choose where to go. If I am sick sick sick, and trying real hard to die right now, I would want to go to a major hospital known for it's expertise in what ever I am suffering from. More than that, if there are two hospitals side by side, one staffed by the professors, and the other the professors teaching hospital, I want to go to the teaching hospital.

I hope this clarifies some thinking.
AKscooter likes this.