Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Catastrophic health insurance?

From what I've seen so far, health care isn't that big of an issue day-to-day as a cruiser in general. Most small issues seem to be reasonably affordable if you need something taken care of, and the lifestyle itself can lead to being healthier overall. But what about major events? What if you happen to develop an illness or condition that forces you to seek lots of medical attention back in the USA? If you are a cruiser abroad, but have to return home to get treated for something, can you get some sort of major medical/catastrophic type policy that maybe doesn't cover you abroad, but does if you have to return for treatment?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Catastrophic health insurance?

I'm sure you could obtain that type of coverage. Of course, you would have to have money to burn. Keep in mind that in the U.S., and many other nations, you cannot, by law, by turned down for treatment in any hospital.

Instead of shelling out a huge, monthly premium, why not just put about $5,000 in a special, interest bearing, checking account, one that you could access from anywhere in the world and use the money for transportation back to the U.S., or another part of the world where you feel comfortable with their health care.

Another thing that you should think about is health care limits. Most insurance companies, including Blue-Cross/Blue-Sheild place strict limits as to how much they'll shell out for catastrophic health care. More often than not, those procedures are already covered by your standard, health-care policies.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-08-2012
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road

I don't have any personal experience with this, but have seen other threads where people discuss using DAN (Divers Alert Network) to get that type of insurance. And I don't think that it mattered that they weren't 'divers'.
Old 05-09-2012

nekha123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Instead of shelling out a huge, monthly premium, why not just put about $5,000 in a special, interest bearing, checking account, one that you could access from anywhere in the world and use the money for transportation back to the U.S., or another part of the world where you feel comfortable with their health care.
I would second this idea. Instead of paying huge monthly premium, it is better to keep some reasonable amount for emergency cases that should be accessible from anywhere. As he stated an interest bearing, it'll be keep on accumulating interest as long as you keep it their and also you could easily withdraw when required. No dirty procedures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

The OP asked about "Catastrophic" insurance. I do not know about other countries but $5K would be gone in a moment of tests and evaluations in one day in an average US hospital. Maybe you guys have never gotten seriously ill or had a serious injury. If you are able to get the type of insurance mentioned above that would be the wise move to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-09-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

MDI, I have been seriously Ill, spent two months in the hospital paralyzed from the waist down, and I worked in cardio-pulmonary medicine for 15 years. Believe me I know how ridiculously high hospital costs are in the U.S.. If you'll notice, at the past part of my post I said "More often than not, those procedures are already covered by your standard, health-care policies." I didn't recommend dropping his standard, health-care policy. I just don't recommend adding a very expensive catastrophic policy that would likely not be recognized in most countries other than the one where it was originally purchased. Also, keep in mind that in many, many nations of the world, the cost of health-care is miniscule when compared to the U.S.--even catastrophic care requiring surgery and extended hospitalization.

I agree, that $5,000 wouldn't cover a single MRI or Cardiac Catheterization procedure in the U.S., which when you think about it, is ridiculous in itself. I just got out of a dentist chair and we talked about implants, which are nothing more than tiny, titanium pins screwed into the jawbone. The cost, $3,000 each and at least 4 are recommended. The same procedure in many other nations would be a fraction of that.

That $5,000 I talked about, however, would probably cover transportation costs back to the U.S. from just about anyplace in the world. Getting the boat back home would likely cost a lot more.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 05-09-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I think this is what the o/p is looking for: Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance
Old 05-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I remember this discussion coming up before. Seems like one of the key issues in the policy was the transport back costs. Now, if you are wel enough to hop a plane, the 10k method would be fine. But if you have to be medically evac'd back to th US seems the costs were incredible.

A lot of people I know carry a "10k policy". That is insurance does not pay anything until their out of pocket is 10k. I suppose it is all a matter of the risk you are willing to tak in life.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-09-2012

sailpower is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you'll notice, at the past part of my post I said "More often than not, those procedures are already covered by your standard, health-care policies." I didn't recommend dropping his standard, health-care policy. I just don't recommend adding a very expensive catastrophic policy that would likely not be recognized in most countries other than the one where it was originally purchased.
Cheers,

Gary
Sounded to me like the OP was NOT going to have "regular" coverage, just the catastrophic?
Old 05-10-2012
Multiman

mdi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I didn't recommend dropping his standard, health-care policy. I just don't recommend adding a very expensive catastrophic policy that would likely not be recognized in most countries other than the one where it was originally purchased. Also, keep in mind that in many, many nations of the world, the cost of health-care is miniscule when compared to the U.S.--even catastrophic care requiring surgery and extended hospitalization.

I agree, that $5,000 wouldn't cover a single MRI or Cardiac Catheterization procedure in the U.S., which when you think about it, is ridiculous in itself. I just got out of a dentist chair and we talked about implants, which are nothing more than tiny, titanium pins screwed into the jawbone. The cost, $3,000 each and at least 4 are recommended. The same procedure in many other nations would be a fraction of that.

That $5,000 I talked about, however, would probably cover transportation costs back to the U.S. from just about anyplace in the world. Getting the boat back home would likely cost a lot more.

Cheers,

Gary
obviously Gary I agree with you. I thought the OP was saying this would be the only policy he would have, the catastrophic, nothing else. In that case I did not think 5k would go very far I think the debate over health care is interesting since some South Pacific countries will not even let you in without health care insurance that is documented.