Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IslanderGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012

Checkov is on a distinguished road
Lower Puget Sound - 11 Nights - suggestions?

Hi

I'm cruising the Lower Puget Sound for 11 nights on a 30' cal. July 8 to 18. We're starting from Olympia and returning the boat back to there. Want to get some tips on a course. I'd like to dock in Seattle for a night or two in the middle of the trip (my crew want a break from the boat in the middle of the trip) - Any ideas for transient moorage in Seattle? Also would like some good spots to see on a casual cruise. Any spots I should avoid?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2012

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Re: Lower Puget Sound - 11 Nights - suggestions?

A stop at Blake Island
Cal-29
Old 05-13-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Bell Harbor is right on the waterfront in downtown seattle. You WILL NOT get a spot for July 4 usually. As it fills up.

Elliot bay marina is on the north side of the bay, that will need a bus/taxi trip into town. Even from Bell Harbor a bus/taxi may be needed to get around town.

OTherwise, tween the two area's, lots of places to see, do etc. Bremerton has many of the older war boats that one can tour if that is your thing. Blake island as mentioned is nice, the salmon dinner by the local duwamish indians is good. THere are also many water state parks one can attach up to a mooring ball and go ashore etc.

If you are not from the area, do not go roaring into a pod of orca's if you see them. One quick way to get a ticket or jail time depending upon the how bad you charged into the pod etc.

Marty
Old 05-13-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

We spent a few years sailing that area. Really, just point the boat somewhere and your sure to find a great state park. Some of our favorites... (These are almost all state parks, and should be able to be found on the washington state parks website if you can't find them otherwise.)

Boston Harbor Marina at least used to have a great Sunday brunch.

Hope Island is a fun little island with a old homestead and some history. A nice place to walk around.

McMicken Island is *TINY* but I always found a peaceful place to stay for a bit. Nice and quite, but not much to do, so could be good depending on your mood, or could me meh.

Jarral Cove is a bit more hoppin place if you in the mood for a little more crowd. The park has land access with RV parks and camp sites, plus docks, lots of mooring balls and small store / fuel dock across the way.

Nisqually Reach has a few mooring balls. While its not protected at all, I find exploring the mud flats to be interesting, checking out the huge sand dollar beds and other wildlife in vast amounts of ankle deep water. Perhaps a good afternoon stop along the way.

I enjoy staying up in the bay inside Vashon Island in Quartermaster Harbor. There's a park there with docks and moorings, and a bus that takes you into town.

Gig Harbor is quite a busy place. Neat place if you want to be in the middle of a town with lots to do. Oddly, there is no fuel available here (at least not last time I was there)

And as mentioned, Blake Island is a fantastic place.

Since it sounds like your not familiar with the area, be sure to watch the tides and try to travel with them as they can really slow you down. Especially going through the Tacoma Narrows. I've gone 13 knots with the tide, and -0,5 against it under the bridges.

Hope you have a great trip, there's so many great places to explore in the south sound, you won't have any trouble filling up 11 days!
cktalons likes this.

Last edited by IslanderGuy; 05-18-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-15-2012

cktalons is on a distinguished road

Poulsbo in Liberty Bay! You'll not find a town that is more quaint, like Mayberry on the water. Of course it's an absolute nightmare on July 3, as we have fireworks in the bay, and everyone and their mothers, dogs, and parakeets is anchored out. Though if you like lots of company, it's certainly a show to see.

I've only been to Blake Island once, in the off season, and it is worth a stop if you can find somewhere to moor/anchor.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.